Earplugs

Hi,

My doctor has recommended I wear earplugs at work so I can focus better and not be overwhelmed by background noise. Can anyone recommend what type of earplugs to use that aren't pricey?

• I went for over the head phones as well. I tried ear plugs but they were too uncomfortable so settled for the phones. They do make a difference and make the oversensory to sound much better.

• I'm listening to a really noisy overhead monitor in work right now. Can't wait to get away from it in ten minutes when we close. I'm not usually under it thank goodness, but the office brings its own sensory overloads - roof machinery though the (seemingly mandatary) open window. I mean I know it's not life in the trenches, but still... 

• My fridge is a big loud and slightly distracting, but what was affecting more was a bathroom fan droning - not that loud in the day, but at night it was slightly irritating.  The filter was really clogged with dust, so I washed it and put it back and now its quieter.  

• Ah yes, I definitely do have earphones in a lot out of laziness anyway. Being a podcast junkie and and avid listener to audiobooks, youtube talks/crime interrogations, audio dramas...and when I press pause I kind of forget I still have them in there. I listen to everything at a modest volume as I can never understand people blasting their eardrums from such a near distance. But it's enough to drown out the fridge!

• That must drive you nuts! I hate anything electrical like that because it hums kind of and that for me is so irritating. Definitely use your headphones when it's whining away. I do :) They're good because they lessen the noise but you'll still hear the phone ring or if someone talks to you.

• I keep meaning to use them more at home. My fridge makes a fair bit of noise and while I can close off the kitchen it still gets through to the living room. Be good to wear them when reading on the sofa or similar.

• Possibly. I'd never wear them when on an enquiry desk or something, but for working with stock etc. or in the back office why not? If it helps filter out some of the most relentless noise - music for instance

• Flare calmer are useful, somewhere in between an earplug and not wearing one. Useful for if you still need to be able to hear people speaking to you or safety alarms etc, they just get rid of some of the background crap.

Calmer® | An Alternative To Traditional Earplugs – Flare Audio Ltd

• You can get ones that are basically like putty and mould to your ear shape.  These block out like 90 per cent of noise and you can sleep in them, the other ones no.  With regards to the music, just turn the sound down 

• I find ear plugs too uncomfortable for me so use sound limiting headphones that go over my head and this works well for me if I go out. At home I use my own stuff to try make sound a little more comfortable.

• Daft question but can you wear these in bed while sleeping and can they be used for listening to music?

• My boss will let me wear them at work. Sorry worded my previous reply wrong. I meant would the earplugs work if I wore them at work? enough to dampen down noise but not too much that I can't hear if someone is talking to me? :)

• I duno man they love to pump us with antipsychotics that then lead to further mental health issues they ain't that smart claiming it will fix is even though there's no cure for autism so how's a bunch of pills Gona help.

• Tbf I use noise cancelling headphones in public but that's to listen to music I'd say noise cancelling headphones over esr bids but I guess that's the cheaper option music helps me with anxiety best 

• The ones i use are not too noticable, i work in a quiet environment, so dont use them for work.  Have a word with your boss and see if they will let you.  Sure they will make accomodations for you if they are decent

• Thank you for your advice. I work in retail so would you say the ear plugs you use would be suitable for the environment?

• Racing thoughts  and monotropism certainly  a big part but I’d disagree that other forms of sensory overwhelm don’t impact a significant number of us. When it all happens at once… nightmare. 

• The only downside is the amplification of one’s heartbeat and breathing- takes a while to tune out or regulate breathing to minimise. 

• I’ve started to wear them intermittently in work. Just squidgy ones that I got fairly cheaply on Amazon. 

they’re particularly helpful now that I’m back in the actual office so much and given that the office consensus seems to be windows must be open at all times (Covid). That means the noise from machinery on the roof is a constant distraction as is the freezing cold draft. Nobody else seems bothered by either. I fully appreciate that I’m the odd one out. But I’m less self conscious in my hoodie (worn up), sunglasses and earplugs (sometimes all at once) than I was. I mentioned my diagnosis at work so it’s understood if  still occasionally teased about by one or two people passing my desk.