Using public transport

I use the train at the weekend.  I rode my bike to the train station and then used the train then rode to my Mum's house. I was very anxious about the journey, but it was not so bad in the end.

Do you worry about using public transport?

• Yeah, i can understand that.

• I took my Artist Friend back, from Belfast, on the Bus to Derry - getting off at Toome - before I drove him home.

It saves me the stress of negotiating Belfast; while finding a place to park which isn't through-the-roof price-wise.

• It's a mixed bag but I have to deal with it because I can't drive. I like getting into the city quickly on quiet off peak trains. Its also one of my favourite things to ride in the front seat at the top deck of buses through the city and take photos/see the architecture/listen to atmospheric music. 

Busy public transport is hell. Noise cancelling headphones and podcasts/music are the only way i can do it now as it helps me separate myself into a mental bubbleI often over-compensate and leave loads of extra time for important journeys because you never know when something gets cancelled or theres a traffic jam etc. I started cycling during lockdown when there were less cars on the road and I like that it means I go too fast for anyone to really see me or talk to me - but I have to take quiet longer routes because traffic is so loud and dangerous.

• I don’t like buses because I hate crowds and I end up having panic attacks

• I don’t like buses because I hate crowds and I end up having panic attacks

• I’m sorry. I’ve started having panic attacks over the last few months - it’s so horrible. I hope you can get some support with this and find good strategies to help you. I used to really like going on buses. Before the pandemic we were using Park and Ride buses and I really miss using those as I don’t like driving in cities that I don’t know well.

• I used to get on a bus till I started having panic attacks and feeling trapped due to past experiences 

• Bank holiday Monday, today.  I don't want to travel but I will because a month ago I bought a 'flex' ticket. Which gives, at a discount, 13 days travel in a 31 day period, I have one unused ticket left. If I don't use it today it will expire and that means money wasted.

• I love to walk to places if it’s possible. I don’t like public transport if it’s crowded - and since the pandemic started that put me off public transport completely. Thankfully I drive so I’ve been able to do that. I miss using the train sometimes though - I used to love travelling on trains when I was younger. I’ve always hated Tube trains though - absolutely horrible! Horrible sound, horrible atmosphere. 

• I worry that the bus driver will think I've done fraud with my E ticket, and I hate paper tickets the most when you stand there and show them, I feel like I leave my hand there too long or that I pulled it away too quick, I've sometimes covered the information up and I didn't understand what the bus driver was saying telling me to move my fingers. Trains are dreadful especially the London tube, I seriously can't go without my partner, the tube is extremely sensory triggering and some train stations are so extremely loud it makes me want to cry. I always catch eye contact I feel like not looking around at all though makes me look weird. And I worry that the train drivers will think I have fake tickets, it's all such a nightmare I absolutely hate social situations 

• Saturday tomorrow.  I will see how far I can travel on one unlimited travel ticket.

• I did consider it some time back, until I realised how expensive they are. Also, with the increase in the cost of energy, I think now might not be the best time for me to start plugging something extra into my energy supply. Wink

• I take the 212 - Ulsterbus Service between Derry and Belfast - to Toome park-and-ride whenever I visit Belfast. Driving in a city would fry my brain.

That's what I did today; while taking my Artist Friend with me on an Artist Date to Belfast. We both got on each other's nerves, when in the city, and I couldn't wait to get home; after dropping him off at Cookstown to visit friends, and collect his repeat prescription.

I find public transport relaxing, but driving has me on red alert.

• Well done on your journey and may you have many more that are well planned and relaxed. 

I avoid any kind of public transport at peak times and will go out of my way to plan my journeys so l miss rush hour or busy public holidays Thinking

• You'll have to buy yourself an electric bike, good foy you and zero emissions  so good for the environment.

• If I'm able to get somewhere on foot, then that's generally what I prefer to do, as don't have to worry too much then about having my personal space invaded. Used to love cycling when I was younger though. I still have my old beloved racer in my garage, although it needs new tyres. I live in a fairly hilly area, so not so sure I'd have the strength and stamina now for cycling uphill. Laughing

• I can manage buses well at off peak time. On peak it is much harder but usually doable, if with nasty aftereffects. 

I can do national trains, and international trains like eurostar, particularly when it is booked seats.

I have never done the tube alone and I don't think it would be safe for me to do so because I often get sufficiently overwhelmed that I'm no longer able to think clearly enough to navigate and instead have to hold onto whoever I'm with to get out safely. 

Coaches, again, are fine when seats are booked and it's not very busy.

However, I also drive, but find that very exhausting. So most long journeys (more than an hour and a half) are either driven by someone else, or public transport.

• I hate to go on trains on my own, if I have to, I have music in my ears and play games on my phone to keep me occupied.

On the Tube, if I am on my own and the train is busy I stay on the platform and hope the next one is empty