Food

I love food, I love growing cooking and eating it, I'm aware of some ASD people who have real problems with it, prefering a "beige diet".

How do the rest of you feel about food?

• At least if we grow our own we can make sure its what we like to eat.

I ate my dinner to fast last week and it's given me a bad IBS flare up, I'm going to try slippery elm for it, as it's supposed to be really good for tummy problems, I'll report back after I've had some for a couple of weeks.

• I love to grow my own food like vegetables and I'm lucky there's an apple tree at the back of the garden so I can use them for baking each year.

Food itself I don't like as much. I find swallowing difficult and I've got ulcerative colitis which affects my stomach in so many ways it's made food less appealing.

• YES to gardening, NO to batch cooking! Too much food in the cupboards/fridge makes me panic.

You sound as though you're going to have a lovely summer,BirdSeedlingRosette I don't have much of a garden right now but am looking forward to seeing what interesting weeds appear and the insects they bring. Esp the hummingbird hawkmoths Heart

• Is it the sugariness of Chinese too? Sugar just makes me ill so I can't take Chinese takeaway. I know what you mean about things on the same plate. As a kid I couldn't stand being served fish fingers with baked beans and mash, that combo just makes me wretch, the textures and too much orange. I always need to see some green! Is it the colours with tomato and beetroot? 

• I am fussy about cutlery, I can use metal but not if the items are the wrong shape, size etc. I'm the same about crockery, oky with plates but it has to be the right plate. I have rectangular plates now so I can line food up with gaps rather than try to arrange them not touching on a round plate. Blue for breakfast, black for dinner! I hate people watching me eat, or making comments on my food as I'm eating. And I have to cut fruit up too! I would love to exist on things with toast (beans with - never ON - toast is breakfast everyday) but I get really stressed thinking my diet is too limited so I make myself eat  variety. 

• What kind of foods do y'all like to grow? I think growing is fun. I like food but my stomach often disagrees because of IBD so I try to stick to certain foods so I don't cause myself any issues.

• I always batch cook, why make 2 portions when I can make 6 or 8 and freeze them? I have a couple of weeks where I do little cooking, or little cooking of dinners, which means I can make jam, chutney and pickles. I get a few requests for things like runner bean chutney and damson ketchup, my kids practically grew up on blackberry and apple jam. When we first move to the country they were old enough to go out and about on their own and would come back with carrier bags full of blackberries and I had to think of things to do with them, so jam it was, and boy was I glad when the season was over that year.

I just need it to stop raining now so that I can get out and rearrange my garden, there will be big adjustments this year, I'm going for an arborealculture thing this year as we get strong salt winds that decimate crops. I've got a some hazel hedging I planted a few years ago, I have a rowan tree I want to add that was donated by a bird dropping in a flower pot, I've got  honeysuckle and I want another budleia, a climbing rose, I've got a clematis and I want a hawthorn, I've got an elder tree to move there. Then I'm going to plant soft fruit such as raspberries and balckcurrants in from of them and then lower growing veg in front of them, I want to create a forest edge feel with plants all protecting eachother. I have a dead hedge too thats great for wildlife and loads of polinator friendly planting.

• Haha, cold vomit is a perfect description.

• I'm just like you. Making 8lbs of home made beef stew as I type so your post caught my eye :-)

I love the texture of steamed brussel sprouts so I eat them almost daily with mustard or a home made Big Mac sauce.

Was a horticulturalist for 10 years, 2 years ago I started to learn to cook so the two skills pair nicely. Nothing *beets* growing, cooking and then eating ones own food.

• A beige diet is something that researchers into ASD have found that many people respond too, one group of researchers finding that many women and girls had been misdiagnosed with eating disorders when all they wanted was not to be alarmed by the sight, smell and texture of their food. So a beige diet in the UK, will be something like chicken, chips/mash and a vegetable.

• Sorry, what is beige diet? English is not my first language, I don’t understand this word. For me food matters only to fill my stomach I don’t care much about taste unless it’s too strong. Currently I eat dumplings and tomato soup for half year straight. Everyone wonders how I don’t get bored of it. Maybe finally I will then I will change something for another few months. Otherwise I love apples, pears and carrots 

• I'm not sure I'd agree with slimy, I'd go for cold vomit, lol.

I think traitional British food is my least favourite, I find a roast dinner boring to cook and eat. I could eat rice and dhal everyday.

• This is a really fun question - I actually have to disect things like roast potatoes, the crunchy skin is great, the fluffy centre is great, but biting into one is too much. If they're cold though, they are disgusting and I don't think I could bring myself to eat one.

I agree 100% on cold soups, I don't know why anybody would like them they're slimy.

• What about things like roast potatoes? Do you like them and feel familiar with them or do they fall into avoid as they're crunchy with soft middles, or they are if cooked properly?

Cold soups give me the heebie jeebies, raw prawns freak me out, I see them in the supermarket and think, 'urgh, giants bogies'.

• I really enjoy cooking - ive been vegan for 30 years so originally it started out of necessity, but it also means I know exactly what's going into it, no unexpected textures.

My biggest issues around food are texture based - I can't stand unexpected texture changes (like a crunchy shell with a soft middles, or powdery outsides on anything). I have safe foods that I know I can always eat and don't deviate from them too much unless I'm feeling like I have the energy to try something new. 

If food is a texture or temperature that im not expecting, sometimes forget how to swallow when eating which is really embarrassing if I'm with people and have to discreetly spit food out into a napkin, so l avoid social meals unless it's a food I understand well.

• Hi. I have real issues around food. I eat beige and like crunchy toast and crackers. I am very fussy about cutlery too. I like a small wooden spoon not metal cutlery. I also find it very hard to eat in front of people. If I have fruit, like an apple, I need to cut it up into small pieces as I don't like crunching into whole fruits. I eat from bowls and not flat plates. 

• I like a lot of healthy food like vegetables and fruit and meat in small proportions. I prefer traditional English food and definitely not spicy. I don't like very fatty food either.  

I hate buffets because there is usually very little I like and I won't choose anything I'm not sure about. I tend to go for safe things like bread. I am not into a lot of beige and much prefer green. I definitely like home grown as it tends to have more flavour.

• I love spicy food and stews, my teeth arn't up to much crunchy food anymore, I also have lots of allergies and intollerances, how I'd loove to be able to eat a cheese baguette with salad.

There are something's which I really can't eat, like tomatoes and beetroot on the same plate, one or the other is fine, but not at the same time. I dont' like Chinese food either, I think partly it's becaues I have a really bad reaction to monosodium glutimate and its rife in Chinese food and because I've had to many meals that are supposed to be veggie and have just had the bits of meat picked out

• It's a very complex issue in fact as mamy people with autism have GI issues.

• I'm glad you're still here