Food

I love food, I love growing cooking and eating it, I'm aware of some ASD people who have real problems with it, prefering a "beige diet".

How do the rest of you feel about food?

Parents
  • I'm just like you. Making 8lbs of home made beef stew as I type so your post caught my eye :-)

I love the texture of steamed brussel sprouts so I eat them almost daily with mustard or a home made Big Mac sauce.

Was a horticulturalist for 10 years, 2 years ago I started to learn to cook so the two skills pair nicely. Nothing *beets* growing, cooking and then eating ones own food.

• I'm just like you. Making 8lbs of home made beef stew as I type so your post caught my eye :-)

I love the texture of steamed brussel sprouts so I eat them almost daily with mustard or a home made Big Mac sauce.

Was a horticulturalist for 10 years, 2 years ago I started to learn to cook so the two skills pair nicely. Nothing *beets* growing, cooking and then eating ones own food.

Children
  • I always batch cook, why make 2 portions when I can make 6 or 8 and freeze them? I have a couple of weeks where I do little cooking, or little cooking of dinners, which means I can make jam, chutney and pickles. I get a few requests for things like runner bean chutney and damson ketchup, my kids practically grew up on blackberry and apple jam. When we first move to the country they were old enough to go out and about on their own and would come back with carrier bags full of blackberries and I had to think of things to do with them, so jam it was, and boy was I glad when the season was over that year.

I just need it to stop raining now so that I can get out and rearrange my garden, there will be big adjustments this year, I'm going for an arborealculture thing this year as we get strong salt winds that decimate crops. I've got a some hazel hedging I planted a few years ago, I have a rowan tree I want to add that was donated by a bird dropping in a flower pot, I've got  honeysuckle and I want another budleia, a climbing rose, I've got a clematis and I want a hawthorn, I've got an elder tree to move there. Then I'm going to plant soft fruit such as raspberries and balckcurrants in from of them and then lower growing veg in front of them, I want to create a forest edge feel with plants all protecting eachother. I have a dead hedge too thats great for wildlife and loads of polinator friendly planting.