Food

I love food, I love growing cooking and eating it, I'm aware of some ASD people who have real problems with it, prefering a "beige diet".

How do the rest of you feel about food?

Parents
  • I really enjoy cooking - ive been vegan for 30 years so originally it started out of necessity, but it also means I know exactly what's going into it, no unexpected textures.

My biggest issues around food are texture based - I can't stand unexpected texture changes (like a crunchy shell with a soft middles, or powdery outsides on anything). I have safe foods that I know I can always eat and don't deviate from them too much unless I'm feeling like I have the energy to try something new. 

If food is a texture or temperature that im not expecting, sometimes forget how to swallow when eating which is really embarrassing if I'm with people and have to discreetly spit food out into a napkin, so l avoid social meals unless it's a food I understand well.

• What about things like roast potatoes? Do you like them and feel familiar with them or do they fall into avoid as they're crunchy with soft middles, or they are if cooked properly?

Cold soups give me the heebie jeebies, raw prawns freak me out, I see them in the supermarket and think, 'urgh, giants bogies'.

• This is a really fun question - I actually have to disect things like roast potatoes, the crunchy skin is great, the fluffy centre is great, but biting into one is too much. If they're cold though, they are disgusting and I don't think I could bring myself to eat one.

I agree 100% on cold soups, I don't know why anybody would like them they're slimy.

• This is a really fun question - I actually have to disect things like roast potatoes, the crunchy skin is great, the fluffy centre is great, but biting into one is too much. If they're cold though, they are disgusting and I don't think I could bring myself to eat one.

I agree 100% on cold soups, I don't know why anybody would like them they're slimy.

Children