Therapist grief

I opened up to my therapist yesterday about how I grew attached to her. I said I saw her as like a maternal figure and I wished that I had the components she has as an individual in a friend. 

She appreciated my honesty and bravery, and she understood where I was coming from. 

What I found interesting was that I felt quite emotional *after* the session (as well as during it) because I found it quite hard to cope with the reality of the fact she's never going to be anything other than my therapist.

It's a funny time in my life as I have no support network (for reasons I'm unwilling to go into - it is partly through choice), so I've leant on her as the only person I'm willing to open up to about anything. I'm trusting of her, I know she's not judging me, and she'll validate the things I'm feeling.

Maybe something to bring up next week. I think there's a degree of grief - I know that if the sessions ended tomorrow or she had to take an extended break, I'd be a complete wreck. I've been disregulated whenever she's taken time out before (obviously not her fault, more mine for the situation I'm in).

• Going back to Freud, this is the biggest complication in therapy: Transference. 

The byproduct of the goal of therapy being to end the relationship. It is understandably hard, but they should be helping you learn to make healthy, peer-based connexions. 

• It would kill me if I ever had to cancel a session. I don't really get to talk to anyone else about anything, so it's all I have. 

• I would miss mine a huge amount, even if I was in a better place when we parted. 

• Yeah, the embarrassment and discomfort I had has gone but the sentiments I express in my OP are stronger now. 

I obviously accept that ethically she's never going to be my friend but I still feel sad. And I still wish she was.

We still talk about it though.

• I don’t have a therapist but my youngest son does. I take him once a week and after the session me and her have a chat or a phone conversation the next day. She only works with Neurodivergent clients. I have learned a lot from her and she always messages me to check in. 
    I would miss her dearly to be honest and so would my son. 

• I had talk therapy/CBT across many years which didn't work for me at all. I didn't feel like I could be myself, it was like talking to an authority figure as opposed to someone who's like a friend.

I just hope that the day my sessions end will be a mutual thing. We're not tied to like 12 free sessions or whatever. 

• I'm glad you have such an understanding and supportive therapist. That's good and I hope she continues to help you through the things you are feeling.

My first therapist wasn't much of it. I had a feeling he was very anti autism. I had three sessions with him and then sought a new therapist, luckily after a short four month wait I got a female therapist a lovely woman called Sarah.

The first couple of sessions I hardly spoke but slowly I started to trust her and saw her as more of a friend but not in a creepy way, just someone I could talk to and trust no matter what. I told her this and she also appreciated my honesty.

I still see her, once a week and she helps me more than I ever thought possible. I feel very lucky to have got her as a therapist and admittedly I do dread the day when I no longer get to see and talk to her.

I don't know how or if I'll cope.

• That’s her job so it’s not a problem if you can afford it. I always struggle with knowing that they’re only being nice to me because it’s their job which is why I was surprised she got emotional when we ended.

But seriously she is there to be your crutch and there’s no shame in it.

• I managed to double book myself recently and had to cancel a session ... I didn't handle it well.  It is weird that I find therapy soooo hard, but it is such a release from the issues that build up, that the absence is ... dysregulating ... to say the least.

• We had a 9 week break last summer which I coped quite badly with, and it'd probably be the same if the sessions ended before I wanted them to.

I know I'll be using her for as long as I need to because I don't want anyone in my personal life to take on the burden of being like a therapist.

• I can understand this.

My therapy ended in January. The last session was odd as we both knew we’d be saying goodbye and at the end she got slightly emotional but I did a weird handshake goodbye thing. Proper Sheldon Cooper stuff.

And now I feel adrift because she was the only person who really had any insight into my life and I have no one to help me process things.