News/current affairs

Since the Palestine/Israel conflict began, I've stopped reading the news (I don't watch TV or listen to the radio, anyway).

This is to protect my mental health as my responses to the various conflicts in the world tend to either be anger or distress.

I've never done this before but for several decades of my life news wasn't so readily available.

The internet changed all that.

I don't know how long I will be able to isolate myself in this way, but I had become rather addicted to the BBC news website, constantly updating it to see the latest.

Does this resonate with anyone?

• I am following every day at the moment.  But sometimes i will take breaks to protect my mental health

• thats the same in all wars really... theres never a winner in war, both sides its just death and loss... then the loss even of the winner creates a lack of male population which destroys that nation in the future.... that is how the british empire fell, it won its wars, but it lost its manpower. it was unable to do anything without manpower so it all fell apart and everyone could rise up and challenge it... then ofcourse america who was sitting in the sidelines and had plenty of manpower due to doing nothing stepped up to fill the void and stablise that power vaccum.

russias entire problems and poverty and lack of quality of life is because they lost so many people in ww2, but yet they are the official winners of ww2... but in the long run, they lost because they threw over 20 million mens lives away in battle... thats counted... uncounted it could be hundreds of millions lost on their side...

china is becoming a world ruling power now and will likely rule the world.... you see, they never had much wars so manage to keep a good population rolling, high manpower high population, rule the world.

get into wars all the time, win.... you lose the future because you lose manpower now.... those lives lost are multiplied over generations.... 100k lives lost in a war in the terms of future if those 100k didnt lose their lives in 100 years time that could be 10 million people... so 100k lost could very well cost 10 million people for the nation. a big loss of life even in the smallest losses. a great loss of power for a nations future.

its also why nations WANT mass migration.... because its a act of stealing population from another... stealing another nations future power. thats the real reason why the west want mass migration. its all another layer of war that no one sees, taking the future from another nation to bolster our own, although that kind of war the winner of it is rejuvenated with more future population and empowered...but its still immoral and takes from other nations and makes them worse off. 

• I suppose the truth is it’s meant to be a deterrent. If it actually kicks off then there is no winning, even if we manage to strike back at our opponent.

• ah it must be only like 6 to 12 subs with ability to use them that im thinking of then lol

and we only have like 1 sub out at all times as a measure incase the base gets attacked. so technically when things kick off we may only actually have 1 sub capable of action with the limited warheads it carries

• UK has around 260 nuclear warheads and the total cost of Trident is estimated to be £200bn over 30 years, so about 6 or 7 billion a year at today’s prices.

• aye russia worried me for a while as putin absolutely would use nukes if hed lose and he will lose.

but all their reports of their nukes and their nuke count is carried over from the soviet nuke supply... theres no way they have the soviet nukes and if they do they dont work because germany dipped into their ww2 missile supply and due to the age they had all rotten, so the russians soviet era nukes would all be rotten and unusable..... in esscence they dont have the 9000 nukes they claim to have.... theyd only have whatever nukes they made in modern times.... if any at all, they might not have the parts to make them anymore.

the uk only has around 6 to 12 nukes.... it costs us hundreds of billions a year to maintain just that amount, russia is poor so they would struggle maintaining 12 nukes.... the uk also has to regulary replace the nukes due to ageing and swap them for new ones... which russia doesnt do at all... in short, i doubt russia has any nukes what so ever. just like they seemingly dont have a airforce... and they dont have 2 million soldiers which is also a lie of theirs gave away by the fact they have to do a civilian draft after only fielding 50k men. so russia is built on a foundation of bluffs and lies, all easily seen through.

then even if they did have a few nukes.... you have to question their ability to use them effectively.... they said they would set it off in the sea and create a big wave to splash us? .... this is laughable and ineffective and no wave would ever be created big enough to really pose any threat. it would be a waste of their limited nuke supply. we set nukes off in the sea all the time, america does near pacific islands and the pacific islands are very low in the sea level so even a small wave will sink them but they never get sunk by nuke testing near them.

• We collectively need to watch out !  That is one of the "more ways than one" that I referred to above.

We need to watch out that we don't all collectively slide into tribal hatred and/or "blissful" ignorance of the challenges and issues that we collectively face?

I do understand why people have given up hearing or watching about world affairs - home affairs - current affairs - the affairs of us, the humans......but if everyone does that, then only the leaders and decision makers will ever set our direction?  And in democracies, how we will know who we want those leaders to be if we don't hear or watch what they are saying or doing AND have some clue about the challenges that they face?

These are just the thoughts and ramblings of a single digit number.....there are now, I believe, approximately, 8,100,000,000 other humans knocking around at the moment.  I like to have half an idea about what they are being "fed" in terms of their news - if nothing else.

Anyhow, these are just my thoughts and opinions on this matter, and I appreciate that they are vanishingly insignificant and irrelevant to the world.

• Me too - if there are big stories that will be on the news everyday for weeks or months then I have to limit my exposure to the news as much as I can otherwise I can lose it and go on anxiety spirals that take over my life. 

• We NEED to watch ourselves and our current affairs

I don't think we 'need' to (watch ... current affairs) - we choose to - and I've chosen not to, and feel much better for it.

Although of course, I wasn't 'watching', but reading, anyway .....

• Watching current affairs is like watching a lit fuse burn.  Listening to current affairs, is likewise.

Notwithstanding this opinion, I do still keep watch on the world, lament. but also try to do whatever small things I can to keep us all, as one, for as long as possible and to the extent possible.

Caveat Emptor advisable with your news sources.

We need to keep trying to be sane and reasonable.  We NEED to watch ourselves and our current affairs - in more ways that one.

A sorrowful but realistic Number (steps down and packs up the soap box, till the next time.)

• I need to say this. Not everyone is whining. Some people are very much personally affected by what is happening in the Middle East and are terrified for friends and relatives.

• feel guilty now not following the news.

I feel that it demonstrates that I don't care.

I sort of feel an obligation to follow it and to be knowledgeable.

If the news was quality over quantity one might be more willing to pay attention. A lot of it is "filler" and irrelevant in the grand scheme of life but they need something new to put up every hour/minute/second. Breaking news used to be for really bad stuff and now we hear about if the Prime Minister has sneezed as soon as it's happened.

• yeah i see a guy i do a fitness thing with is constantly posting about palestine and taking a side when both sides are kinda as bad as one another but yet at the same time it doesnt matter as it has nothing to do with us, its thousands of miles away. if we make it to do with us then we get terror attacks here.

• My problem is when people are pressured (often celebrities) to say something on social media. I don't know what impact that would personally have.

It's horrible but I don't know if we as individuals can physically do anything, much as I obviously don't expect it to be ignored.

• Yeah, that is exactly what was impacting my mental health and setting off panic attacks it was so bad. I think even Facebook had a number count of the death toll at one point too. 

Russia also scared me as well

• id say covid was worse, as it was a issue that could effect us and our lives and is local especially with how badly the borders are managed to the point theres no way we can control or restrict the spread globally due to borders that are never respected and never done the job right there.

so basically the covid news was all promises of death coming to your doorstep.

russia could also have been bad news too but then we realise russia lies about everything and they dont have any nuclear capability. 

• not joining a party is good though... as soon as you join a party of support the party system your supporting delegation of thought and ideas to a dictator. party system is delegation of each issue which then makes our system into a elective dictatorship rather than a democracy.

• i feel things like isreal is kinda pointless for our news networks to be reporting on.... people then take to the streets and whine about it but yet its none of their business, this isnt anywhere geographically near and it has nothing  to do with it, but yet people would whine about it as if it has something to do with their lives... they protest in london about it in millions.... but yet it has no effect here as we are not isreal... meanwhile isreal is thousands of miles away and will never effect them, but it only has like 2 million population anyway, all them protestors could go there and isreal wont be able to handle that many people.... theyd have their effect that way if they REALLY cared about the issue that the media riled them up about... but they wont do that, because they dont want to go to isreal or palestine... because they never really cared in the first place lol

• And the other thing I have a problem with is for the past 20 years it's been acceptable for politicians to become celebrities on TV shows. This sort of thing should be BANNED.

• The world is a difficult/horrendous place for lots of people - we don't need to be constantly reminded of this. The news outllets choose what information to give us. We are by being constantly frightened at every turn by things which we have no control over and it's getting worse as we are getting more and more desensitised to what is given to us. In my mind, we are fed things based on some sort of priority but I won't go into further on an open page. Our brains are not equipped for so much emotional information. We can choose what to engage with and in not consuming the news I think if there's anything that we REALLY need to know, we would find out anyway. There was something recently which was a complete non-story that my local news website had rolling coverage of. A lot of local news isn't even news but clickbait. A lot of the media is stirring things up so "we" click on it, get outraged, share it on social media, get even more outraged and divided then it becomes forgotten about to be replaced by something else. So "we" are constantly in a cycle. And that one off Ch5 and BBC Radio2 is the worst!

Russell Howard sums it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U26-D-7Ey2w