What scares you ?

To be aware of it is the scariest thing in the universe --- If it exists outside our perception.  Awareness that we are nothing compared to the size of the universe and our time of existence in this universe is less than the blink of a cosmic eye. Awareness that our senses are drastically limited to perceive the true nature of the universe. Awareness that any amount of scientific knowledge won’t be enough for us to differentiate if the universe is subjective or objective, that we're pre-programmed or we have a free will, that we are created or are we the  result of some random events (or experiment). For me this is my broad view.  At a more personal level what scares you.

• My work focused my attention in coastal towns and villages with an occasional  shorline visit I found refreshing.

• I sat in a Neurodiversity training session this week and listened to two colleagues laughing and joking about autism

That's shocking.

Do the best you can, but look after yourself too.

x

• Thanks Debbie! 

Blanket prejudice from a small number of staff, I'm mostly concerned about it being mainly directed at the students. I sat in a Neurodiversity training session this week and listened to two colleagues laughing and joking about autism- literally 'We're all on the Spectrum' stuff. Obviously they knew that I could hear them... 

My workplace prides itself on excellent provision for SEND, so really, nobody should be expressing those views.. 

I will continue to do my best for the students... Slight smile

• I'm certainly scared by the amount of ignorance and prejudice I'm seeing in my workplace

Ah Pegg.

I'm sorry to read this.

It looks like your new job is troubling.

I hope it improves, and well done for the valuable part you are playing.

• I'm certainly scared by the amount of ignorance and prejudice I'm seeing in my workplace at the moment, it's shocking. Unamused

• Illness.

People.

Spiders.

My mum!

Death.

Dogs.

Myself - I scare me more than anything, more so since my mental health went on a downward spiral. When that happened I became aware of how frightening my brain can be.

I think I'm over the worst now but it's scary to be aware of how dark my brain can go.

• I've had those 3 things (on top of all the rest) for decades too.

Ageing is only a factor with respect to eye problems.

• My stepson has your eye condition. His mum is discovering there is very little resolution available apart from getting ripped off by the optician with a new perscription every 6 months for his astigmatism

• I'm a long way from my pension but I still have irregular astigmatism that glasses can't fully correct, floaters and dry eye all of which I'm told are 'incurable' and must merely be managed. When I was a teenager my eyesight was perfect and I didn't need glasses.

• I'm scared of the way social values have already changed e.g. respectability has seemingly evaporated in youth. Walking to my local Post Office a youngster on his bike found it necessary to stop next to me to blow a "raspbury" in my face. In my youth --- if I had done that ---  I'd have received a damb good slapping accross my face 

• She actually has more than enough morphine in her flat to do the job

There are far worse ways to go than by a morphine overdose.

My sister was on intravenous morphine when she died so we know she was in a peaceful place.

It's a drug I think of as being kind.

So sorry about your mum.

• My mum would certainly take a pill if she was given one. She actually has more than enough morphine in her flat to do the job but my sister and I aren’t about to tell her that.

• Yes, and no.

Yes and yes, I think, as life for the elderly is really nothing like it was during Biblical times which was the point I was making.

For example, Solomon talks of 'your eyes will be too dim to see clearly' but I've had the benefit of glasses, contact lenses, cataract surgery, other eye surgery and am at present having eye injections for wet macular degeneration.

Solomon didn't have that available.

However, yes, there is still suffering and deterioration but there is at any age.

As I said above, I've lost 3 people close to me in their 50s.

Death and deterioration can haunt us at any age.

I'm sorry about your mum, and I do feel that euthenasia by choice should be allowed (but, my goodness, that's a contentious subject).

• Yes, and no. Most pensioners enjoy good health in the early years of their retirement but a lot of pensioners then have to endure years of poor health before they die.

My mum is 92 and has a form of cancer amongst other health conditions. She has got to the stage where she has had enough but is basically being kept alive by modern medicine.

• Solomon puts it this way. 

That was (purportedly) in approximately 970–931 BCE.

Medicine has moved on rather a lot since then, along with life expectancy and quality of life in old age.

• Yes. There was an episode of Blake’s Seven, a sci-fi series on bbc, where a ship defended itself against boarders by causing hallucinations in the mind of the boarders.

• Mister.

You make a very good point.

There have been periods in my life when I have been very scared of myself.  Very scared indeed.

In these times, I did not wish to be around people whom I cared about because I feared that my presence in their life could only end up being a negative one.

The thing is though, I have come to understand that it is INTENT that matters more than fear, in the vast majority of perilous situations and in one's own perception of yourself.

If you are scared of yourself, it implies that you have some sort of "power potential".  That is a good start.

Power can be harnessed for good or ill.  If you have no INTENTION of doing something that merits you being scared.....then you shouldn't be scared.  If you scare yourself because of some external circumstance or situation, then it is important to acknowledge that it is not YOU that scares you, but that circumstance or situation.

So....[flipping heck, apologies that this has all turned a bit Alan Watts on your a ss Mister], in my personal experience, respect for yourself is reassuringly close to fearing yourself - so it's not that hard to slide from one to the other.

I became happier, my friend, when I remembered how to respect myself again.

Very best wishes

Number.

• I find I scare myself a great deal of the time, as the brain is by far the greatest weapon we have and most of the time it's in control and we're passengers on this journey of life. With depression and mental health problems I often feel terrified of myself.

• Yes, she scares the living daylights out of me as well! Frowning