What scares you ?

To be aware of it is the scariest thing in the universe --- If it exists outside our perception.  Awareness that we are nothing compared to the size of the universe and our time of existence in this universe is less than the blink of a cosmic eye. Awareness that our senses are drastically limited to perceive the true nature of the universe. Awareness that any amount of scientific knowledge won’t be enough for us to differentiate if the universe is subjective or objective, that we're pre-programmed or we have a free will, that we are created or are we the  result of some random events (or experiment). For me this is my broad view.  At a more personal level what scares you.

• Solomon puts it this way. 

“So remember your Creator while you are still young, before those dismal days and years come when you will say, “I don’t enjoy life.” That is when the light of the sun, the moon, and the stars will grow dim for you, and the rain clouds will never pass away. Then your arms, that have protected you, will tremble, and your legs, now strong, will grow weak. Your teeth will be too few to chew your food, and your eyes too dim to see clearly. Your ears will be deaf to the noise of the street. You will barely be able to hear the mill as it grinds or music as it plays, but even the song of a bird will wake you from sleep. You will be afraid of high places, and walking will be dangerous. Your hair will turn white; you will hardly be able to drag yourself along, and all desire will be gone.”

• should be. but yeah its at age 70 that my gen can claim it.

if it goes up anymore it will be pointless and none existant.... it will go up more, as thats progress, things go up, they never come down, like food prices. even when the situation is reversed they never put prices back down.

•  Assuming of course there still is a state pension

• Caelus I am totally with you on the WEF agenda. Everybody says I am a conspiciary theorist etc, but I am not I believe in 9-11 and the moon landings. There is masses of evidence from the WEF themselves and many govenments are going along with it. I have always been political, but never been on a demo, I will be leading ones on this issue. 

• they already have their way tough, by 2030 all vehicles will have to be electric... can the common man afford a electric vehicle? ... no... vehicles will be for the rich in the future, us poors wont be allowed such fine chariots! they will be chariot's of the gods, of the ruling elites and we poors wont be allowed a vehicle which will furthur our poverty as its impossible to get a local job so you need a vehicle to reach any place of work.

they are already making this dystopia, and they think they are making a utopia... they have already said to people that life support machines will have to be force turned off in the future and people will have to die for their environment ideas as they dont want life support machines to be on as they are big energy users lol these people are nuts i dont understand why the gov listens to them, listening to their ideas especially turning off life support machines kinda sounds ike any gov siding with them really wants to be on the next nuremberg trials lol

• I am with you on that. Scared of my world changing dramatically from what it is now if the netzero lot have their way. Not particually scared of growing old as I will welcome retirement and the massive drop in anxiety from stopping work. 

• I hear you.  I know that I would like to chose "early" given some reasonably foreseeable scenarios and assistance is unlikely to be available to anyone for quite some time.

But like I said earlier, hope springs eternal and so I like to hope (and have witnessed in the past) the power of a DNR coupled with fate (or similar word of your choosing.)

With respect.

Number.

• i dunno... a big positive difference would be to cut the other stuff and increase what goes to the pension, so that we can instead lower the pension age to a more appropriate retirement age such as 50... or 55 or something... so that people can actually retire and not have to be forced to work ever second of their lives and not really get to enjoy their lives or have freedom.

economically speaking it isnt a issue to do this because there is 1000 applicants per job now. we need to cut the people seeking work as there isnt enough jobs to go around anyway. so lowering the age of retirement and taking out a load of workers into state pension would ease the job pressures on younger people who need to earn a living and make their lives and raise a deposit on a home and so on. which is also another reason why pro migration people lie, they lie claim we need all this influx of migrant workers, we really dont, we have 1000 people applying for a single job now. we need less workers, less people.... or, more jobs, millions more jobs... but its harder to make more jobs than it is to control the amount of workers seeking work here.

• Then everybody wins! 100% of my state pension can go to an area where it's actually going to make a big positive difference. 

• I would be less scared if that were the case, but in reality I'm unlikely to have access to assisted dying when I reach the point where I want out, and by that point suicide might no longer be something a person is able to carry out. 

It feels like I'm being pushed towards a crowded party and they'll lock the doors behind me when I'm forced in. 

• ahh.... i checked my pension age for when i can claim and for people born in the 90s our pension age when we can claim state pension will be when we are 70 years old. so your age of euthanasia is the governments age where they will allow us to gain state pension in the future.

• if I could sign a paper to be euthanised when I hit 70, I'd do it now. 

That's 9 years more of my life and 5 more of my husband's.

We are both physically active, creative people with lively minds still.

I've also watched people grow old and decline.

My dad died at 74 but up until then he was fit and active.

My mum died at 86 (I think) and she had declined physically and mentally.

However, my sister and brother-in-law and an ex-boyfriend didn't reach my age, and that's tragic.

I think that making the death decision when and if you get to the point you no longer want to live makes sense, if it's legal in this country by then.

• What's not to be scared about? Losing the full use of your body and potentially your mind, your world rapidly shrinking, the sudden ramping up of physical suffering with the knowledge that you will never fully recover again, more and more of the people you've known disappearing every year...

I saw my grandparents' old age and if I could sign a paper to be euthanised when I hit 70, I'd do it now. 

• True.

Wishing you the same

SunflowerBlushSunflower

• And there are fates that are worse than death too.

Hence, hope springs eternal, as I like to say.

Happy Sunday.

• Growing old is better than the alternative. 

• Why are you scared by growing old? You’re not alone - I saw something on yahoo yesterday saying that the proportion of people afraid of growing old is increasing.

• Governments, Society, growing old. The general level of stupidity among the common man and their willingness to be dragged along by groupthink.

• The scary elephant in the room is AI in criminal hands.  It is creating algorithms exponentially while self improving. Where will it lead to??