Clothes

Does anyone else feel affected by the clothes they wear? I find like different ways of dressing trigger me and affect my personality.

Like if I dress a certain way I feel like I will behave a certain way or that I should behave a certain way. If I wear a different sort of outfit I feel I need to behave differently or act differently

I also get quite stressed if I feel my clothes dont go together. Like normal casual clothes on top and sportier clothes on bottom for instance

Haircuts are quite a stressful trigger for me as well

Just wondered whether clothes can be a trigger for anyone else or is it just me?

• I always wear 100% cotton  pyjama bottoms at home - with cosy comfy cotton tops. I love to wear Indian block print cotton pyjamas in the summer and warmer, flannel cotton pyjamas in the winter. I also have a thing about finding the most lovely cosy socks to wear at home. If I find a type of cosy sock I like I buy loads of pairs as really good cosy socks in natural materials are quite hard to find. 
    when out I wear Indian block print dresses with big cardigans. Feeling comfortable is so important to me. When I was younger I used to wear black all the time but now I love print and colour. 

• I only ever wear cotton clothes - I don’t like the feel of other fabrics. I only like loose clothes too. I only wear flat shoes - plimsolls or Doc  Martins. I can’t stand going to the hairdresser so I cut my own hair (it’s all one length so that’s quite easy to do. I dye it myself too. 
    if I don’t feel comfortable in the clothes I wear I can’t relax - so it’s really important to me. 

• It is very convenient to order many things online, and I often make online purchases. For example, I can buy clothes, but they don't always fit me, upsetting me. Online some things are cheaper than in typical stores, although they are the same, recently I've seen best hoodies in Nike, I wanted to buy, but I realized that they might not fit. True, this is not always the case. This has happened more than once, but shopping online is usually more profitable.

• Even casual clothing feels like a costume for me sometimes. Like I'm putting on the appearance of a human. I've no idea why, because I don't think the clothing itself has any stressing effect on me, but it feels like just an extension of the mask somehow. And the effect is much stronger in work clothes.

I only feel truly comfortable in a particular line of shoes, any others make me uneasy. And I really feel at home in a long coat, something that goes down to my knees. I couldn't possibly explain why that is, only that it makes me feel more like my true self? I find it encourages the mask to slip a little bit when I wear one - something that's been noticed by my family members too, so it can't be a coincidence or my imagination. Only I loathe having my shoulders or legs bare, but that could just be my anxiety.

And I agree with others about keeping pyjamas on at home - oftentimes changing in proper clothing just feels like too much effort for some reason.

• Hi, my daughter who has Downs Syndrome is the same with her clothes.  They after be a certain colour which goes with the mood she is in. Usually Blue or Red.  When she becomes one of her favourite characters say Abba for instant, she has to wear blue.  If she picks The Carpenters then she has to wear red.  She can often change colour throughout the day and this helps us as it gives us some idea of what she is thinking.  Hope this makes sense.

• I like soft clothes and find cotton comfortable next to my skin. I don't like bumpy socks or stones in shoes.

Smell is important too. I notice the different smell if I have a different make of tissues. If I am wearing a mask I wear home made and not only are they soft but they smell of my washing liquid. When I had an eye test I had to wear a disposable mask which was hard because of the smell.

• I love to wear pyjamas too. Today I  kept them on I didn’t feel like getting dressed.

I have bought soft pyjama bottoms, I wear them as normal trousers in the house. I like soft clothes. I don’t like clothes that smell musty or damp. They must smell like they have been washed dried properly. Plus softness is key.

I don’t like any cold clothes on my skin. Itchy or crackling cloths. I don’t like lumpy socks Uber my feet. Or if I get a little stone in my shoe.

• Yeah  Billy,  that sounds like me I don’t like washing my hair. 

• I totally understand that. I hate wearing work clothes

Do you find you wear different things according to your mood as well?

Thats interesting about the shampoo. I havnt tried that but I do hate washing my hair, sometimes I take ages to get dressed in the morning cos I cant face the thought of that water running down over my head. Its a really big sensory thing 

• I find this especially when I wear uniform. 

When I wear work clothes I am a completely different person to the 12 year old wearing pyjamas or comfy clothes. 

I also agree with the haircut. I find that perfumes or different smells trigger me too. My mum cuts my hair for me in march which is when I switch to summer shampoo and shower gel and then switch back to winter shampoo and shower gel in September. If I use the wrong shampoo/ showergel I feel very unsettled and have more meltdowns 

• When I was at school, uniform was a relief. If I had no choice about what to wear then I couldn't be criticized and it evaded the concept of self-expression and choice.

At work there was eventually a sea-change in the 'dress code' (ie suits and ties not mandatory anymore) and it took me quite a while to put a stake in the ground and choose a 'look'... although I was about the last person to lose the tie.

These days if I like something I tend to buy multiples... and, further, I wear a white T Shirt *every single day*: I don't have to think about what people think, or what it projects, or if people think it's the same T shirt... It just gets rid of all that pointless processing.

• Does anyone else hate wearing uniform too? . Even if I am given a uniform by my job, for instance when Ive been a sports teacher the last couple of years, Ive gone out and bought my own clothes that look similar rather than wear it. I feel trapped in a uniform like im not in charge of my own body cos I cant wear what I want. Does that make sense? Its like what I wear is part of being me and if someone is telling me what to wear its like they own me and I cant be me 

• I have to get family members to cut my hair, going to the barbers is too stressful

• Thats exactly true it does affect your mood and your attitudes, especially if you have to wear the same stuff for a long time

• I struggle to wear clothes, I find them uncomfortable and then I hate that you have to wear different ones each day. I relate with the haircuts, so stressful, and I always find they tug and hurt as well.

• Yep. From 1979, when I started work, to 1986, I was in a job (journalism) which in those days was all jeans, jackets and open necked shirts. 

From 1986 until 2012 I was in full 'corporate battle dress', suits, cufflinks, silk ties, blah. 

From 2012 to the present I've been in jeans again. 

So I've been thro the full spectrum and agree totally, what you wear affects your mood.  I don't find it happens on a day-to-day basis but when your working dress code changes for years, it definitely affects your outlook and attitudes.  Not sure that's exclusively for people on the spectrum, tho!

• Not because everyone goes in what he sees fit, and if I feel uncomfortable or uncomfortable in these clothes, I won't put them on. In addition, each of us has our tastes and preferences. And this is not surprising because it should be. I didn't understand girls wearing [Removed by Mod] before. But now I know them perfectly because it's their choice. And it's much more pleasant for me to communicate with a girl who wears [Removed by Mod] because you can even marry such a girl and not be afraid that she will be a bad wife. Therefore, I do not see the point in paying attention to who is dressed in what. The main thing is that a person likes it.

• I've never really considered it before, but I 100% agree. I enjoy fashion, but only very rarely wear "nice" clothes. I like to normally wear something with a high neck and comfortable trousers, and a long coat if it's cold. and very atrate. usually the same shoes as well, or same 2 pairs of shoes.

if I wear something straying from that silhouette, I'll have to think about it for an hour, then look at myself wearing it in the mirror for another hour haha to "get used to myself" in it