Gaming for mental health

Hi all. Does anyone else like to game as a way of destressing and to improve mental well being? If so what are your recommendations? I personally like to jump on the PS4 and now PS5. I find it helps me switch off and is a great way to relax. I play mostly single player stuff. Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, etc

• Yeah I adore Journey, I love the multiplayer aspect to it and finding someone randomly to share the 'journey' with. Wish they did a sequel. 

• Absolutely loved Journey. I lost count of how many play throughs I had. Abzu was great too but Journey was special.

• in chess gaming yes it best to resign if you are in a hopeless situation its just the Chess Protocol  thing to do that comes from the live playing professions

• Some had a go at me once because I kept playing even though I was in a hopeless situation, he mated me then messaged me saying I should have given in ages ago, I replied saying the point of the game is to mate the King, so I have changed my profile on the site to say that I will always play to the end.  I really  hate people that retire rather than letting me mate them.

• Joy well computers are our future leaders. 

• God of war was my game of last generation. Easily. 

• yes i agree humans make mistakes. In fact i loose so many games to what the computer calls blunders. I have also noticed some computers i can beat and some i win one in 20 games approximately Slight smile.  What i really hate is computers can go for a stalemate when you have them corned and thus not let you win, people would resign,,,,  it so annoying Slight smile

• yea so people realise their is no point going on and walk away or whatever and you win by time out

• Also sometimes people forget to play and get timed out or one game i had we had 50 moves without a pawn move or capture so I turned a loser into a draw, I'm sure a computer would not have let that happen

• aye because humans miss things and can be tricked. computer cannot be tricked easily and can see anything and cover any mistake that you tried to work them into.

i member playing against this one guy and i he beat me past few matches but i had him on last match by making myself so open and sacrificing so many good pieces that he failed to see i maneuvered his king into checkmate by next turn with one of my last pieces lol computer you cant trick like that, computer would see and cover it up on the fly and ruin your plan too easy.

• I play Chess everyday against people over the Internet, I find it more relaxing than playing a computer as they have between 1-10 days to take their move

• I play Chess everyday against the computer  ---- humans are easier  

• could be, it makes sense that all life is, is some for of data collection and each life is collecting experience and when we die our data perhaps goes back to some central thing to add to it and our energy perhaps gets sent out again to live another life and collect more experience for the central collective thing.... this is kinda what in sci fi people would call would be a jupiter brain. a computer the size of jupiter built by a advanced alien race, and that jupiter brain computer can run simulation of all life in the galaxy and all the lives in that simulation wont even know that they are computer simulated, and thus the jupiter brain stores all the knowledge of every simulated life and thus has the answer and knowledge to everything for whatever alien race built it.

• But what is reality? Are we not in one big simulation anyway? A game within a game.

• I spend a lot of time building parks in Jurassic World Evolution 1. I'm beyond excited for the new game due out later this year. I don't play much else. So many of the games bore me as they are all the same. There are two other franchises I do like though. Uncharted is one. I've played through all of them. Number 3 was my favourite. I also like one, but I can't remember its name. My memory is shot today. It's all based round different periods of World War II and you're set missions to accomplish. Lots of shooting and puzzle solving. I bought a VR headset, but I've been really disappointed with it. Apart from going down to explore the Titanic, and a Doctor Who game, it's not as good as I thought it would be and the graphics are poor.

• gaming is a good escape.... but if you escape too much and get lost in the digital world your life will become neglected and get worse, your problems will thus get worse and you will then need to escape more and more until your digital escape is no longer possible or isnt good enough to escape the overbearing disaster of your life. so its good but only if you dont end up getting too lost in gaming, life will slip you by while you live a virtual life.

• YES! I do, if I really need to relax I turn to games like Journey or ABZU

• I personally not really a fan of gaming i would prefer to do something practical playing someone else's simulation for 100s if not 1000s of hours then moving on the the next one seems like a waste. When you could do something tangible eg exercise, lift weights, draw, 

• I reordered Mass Effect legendary edition yesterday I cannot wait, if you haven't heard of watch some YouTube videos on in it's a great sci-fi rpg shooter 

• Yep. I tend to take long breaks of years then get back into it once the technology has taken a jump forward. Helps to quieten my busy mind but I do get very tired if I overdo it so I can take breaks of weeks (sometimes months) before I load something up.

I enjoy most genres - so FarCry 5 & Prey (2017)  I'm having a lot of fun with, Pathologic2, Resident Evil 7 and Alien:Isolation for that oppressive atmosphere, Watch Dogs / Shadow of War / X-Rebirth (I found it fun once I'd modded it to be slightly less frustrating) for the open world fix.

I really enjoy 4X games - but they take too long and I'm useless at them, but I've fond memories of the Civ series, Age of Wonders and Fallen Enchantress.

Huge fan of the 'shock series. (Infinite is one of my all-time favourites) 

....oh! And Obsidian. Lets hope they never get gobbled up by some triple AAA publisher.