Books books books

Hey there 

I just finished a audiobook called Unmasking Autism by Devon Price. I really enjoyed it and this was my first experience of an audible. I struggle to read books as I find I read and then track back and read again, I struggle to concentrate and take it all in basically.

Is there a must read book that anyone can recommend for self discovering as a newly recognised autistic? 

Parents
  • hi,

I really got a lot out of  "Neurotribes"

I did the audiobook too. I love audiobooks.

Right now I'm reading Nancy Kress "Beggars In Spain".

• Right now I'm reading Nancy Kress "Beggars In Spain".

What a book! I read it many years ago and it occurs to me that I might interpret it very differently now that I know I am autistic.

• Im just finishing uo the last of the 3 books in that "Sleepless". It is quite prescient. She's a great teller of tales and ticks all the boxes for me. I will read more of her work. I've been looking for a new Sci Fi author to devour. I love to read sci fi. I am trying to write a sci fi story too. Its slow going but I think by the end of the summer I might have something to submit to a anthology magazine.

• I dreamed of writing sci-fi many years ago but life got in the way. Still very much addicted to reading it though.

• The very first thing I did when I got a computer with a useable keybard and CP/M was start writing a book.

Nevr finished it of course.

It was about a bloke who worked in "Ensurance". 

Ensurance of course is like insurance, in that you pay a premium, get yourself scanned (periodically) and you are now "Ensured" to live out your natural life free of accident.

The scanning process is basically, you go through a star trek type transporter, and a copy recording is made of the "pattern buffer" and held on file to be either retrieved or updated as neccesary (providing your premiums are up to date, of course) 

MY guy, naturally enough, is  a tech who has maintenance access to the machine, and is finding life a little tiring and difficult and decided to make his-self a clone to share his flat, life and go to work for him when he wants a day off. 

From this point the series kinda writes itself really...

If anyone wants to nick the idea (or even collaborate) it might be fun, I doubt I'll ever restart it on my own steam.

Abut ten years ago, me and a friend started storyboarding a conspiracy theory comedy, provisionally entitled "The most Powerful People in the world" about a non-descript street where some fairly regular looking (By my standards) people live who (completely unbeknownst to them) are all having huge effects in the world simply by living their very humdrum lives.

We were howling with laughter as this thing unfolded, it was like Tom Sharpe tried his hand at Conspiracy theory sci-fi, but I lost the notes...

That's how it can go I guess. Any writing talent I might have is hamstrung by PDA and PTSD brought on by my early difficulty with teh act of writing compunded by it being used a punishment for nearly a decade.In fact I've only really done any writing since P.C. adn teh inetrnett made it mandatory, adn if not easy, at least editabble so the fnshed item can be free of crossings out and otehr visual nastiness...    

• The very first thing I did when I got a computer with a useable keybard and CP/M was start writing a book.

Nevr finished it of course.

It was about a bloke who worked in "Ensurance". 

Ensurance of course is like insurance, in that you pay a premium, get yourself scanned (periodically) and you are now "Ensured" to live out your natural life free of accident.

The scanning process is basically, you go through a star trek type transporter, and a copy recording is made of the "pattern buffer" and held on file to be either retrieved or updated as neccesary (providing your premiums are up to date, of course) 

MY guy, naturally enough, is  a tech who has maintenance access to the machine, and is finding life a little tiring and difficult and decided to make his-self a clone to share his flat, life and go to work for him when he wants a day off. 

From this point the series kinda writes itself really...

If anyone wants to nick the idea (or even collaborate) it might be fun, I doubt I'll ever restart it on my own steam.

Abut ten years ago, me and a friend started storyboarding a conspiracy theory comedy, provisionally entitled "The most Powerful People in the world" about a non-descript street where some fairly regular looking (By my standards) people live who (completely unbeknownst to them) are all having huge effects in the world simply by living their very humdrum lives.

We were howling with laughter as this thing unfolded, it was like Tom Sharpe tried his hand at Conspiracy theory sci-fi, but I lost the notes...

That's how it can go I guess. Any writing talent I might have is hamstrung by PDA and PTSD brought on by my early difficulty with teh act of writing compunded by it being used a punishment for nearly a decade.In fact I've only really done any writing since P.C. adn teh inetrnett made it mandatory, adn if not easy, at least editabble so the fnshed item can be free of crossings out and otehr visual nastiness...    

Children
No Data