Shoes for sensitive feet

Hi. My 7yo grandson always complains about his shoes being uncomfortable. He is very sensitive to labels in his clothes - especially underpants - and needs everything that touches his skin to be soft and snuggly. Has anyone else had this problem with shoes, or know of a make that gives more depth and more room around the toes?

• Socofy shoes. Most comfortable things I ever put on my feet. Lots of toe room. Soft leather. Cushioned soles. Like walking on air.

They do men and women's but unsure if they do kids.

Wearing a pink pair of their slip ons in my photo.

• I would suggest you try out the Jordan 1 model. This model has a very comfortable style and can fit you pretty well. With comfort, you gain the quality of a good shoe along with good style. I have a couple of pairs of this type of shoes; I wear them daily and use them for different purposes work/gym/long or short runs. If you have any questions about this model, feel free to send a private message to me or answer directly on this topic.

• For comfortable shoes, I would definetly recomend Scetchers because they have soft, memory foam insoles and are completely fabric, you also dont usually have to do up any laces and they provide a lot of flexabuility when wearing them. They are great !! I wear them a lot and really worked for me .

• have you tried crocs? I recently got a pair and they have been amazing. can't wear them at school presumably, but for the rest of the time he may find they work. could you get him to try some? order some online and if he doesn't like them just return them?

• www.happylittlesoles.co.uk/.../school-shoes.html
    These shoes are designed to be as “light” on the feet as possible and have very flexible soles.  Brands like Geox might be roomier snd I know that Startrite allow more “growing room” in their shoes than other brands. 
    Weirdly, I think maybe a supermarket shoe might be even better than a branded shoe as they are on the whole flimsier and softer. Even getting two pairs the same and alternating so you have that nice “worn in” feel for longer would work out the same cost as one expensive pair. 
    Hope that helps!

• Hi, my son is the same. I buy him the memory foam mesh slip on trainers from Skechers for Spring/Summer. They are soft enough for him but we have to hunt high and low for suitable Autumn/Winter trainers because he needs waterproof ones then. He won't wear normal leather shoes anymore (and has to have all labels cut out of clothes too and will only wear 'soft' clothes). Hope this helps. 

• Hi my 27 year old son has super sensitive skin, he is ALWAYS completely naked when he is at home, something i have worked so hard to overcome, but have never managed to get him past it, fortunately he doesn’t strip off when he is out, but he barely tolerates clothes and cannot have buttons, zips, collars, or any material other than jersey, basically the closest thing to pjs, jogging bottoms and t.shirts. This also extends to bed clothes (blankets not quilts) and DEF no pillowcase, coats, (no hoods or fancy attachments or appliqué) and never hats or gloves in winter.

he also has extremely sensitive feet, so he tends to have velcro trainers so he can have them as loose or tight as he needs them.

My advice for any parent/carer with smaller children when this issue arises, do ALL you can while they are young! Because having a naked 4 year old is not so much of a problem, but a naked 27 year old man is absolutely not cute! And it makes him really vulnerable when he is being cared for by others.

good luck

sooz

• In the grand scheme of things, not really.  If you find something that works for him, then go with it.

• My son is also having similar condition with your grandson. He is comfortable with soft and snuggly clothes, shoes, socks, and everything that he puts on. Is this a condition to worry about?

• Gel inner soles.  Good quality inner soles are worth it.  I tend to get inner soles from Decathlon, generally gel walking or running inner soles.  it helps so much with the daily slog.  Maybe it could help him if he can tolerate the texture/feel of them.  As for shoes, deck shoes are kind of nice to wear.  Skater shoes tend to be wide and really comfortable. 

I currently use Asics Gel Kanaku as a day shoe/trainer and they are the most comfortable, well cushioned, trainers I have ever used.  Originally bought for off-road running. 

My suggestion would be to take your grandson to somewhere like decathlon and get him to try on as many shoes/trainers as possible.  It is the only way for him to find something he likes.

• Ooh yes, I love my sandals; and it seems to be a family trait - my Mum would wear flip-flops every day if she could (though I've never worked out how to keep the damned things on my feet!)

That's related to something else which may be a factor - my extremities get hot incredibly easily, and it is intensely uncomfortable when they do. Even in the middle of winter, I usually have to sleep with my feet sticking out of the end of the bedclothes. I would take shivering and goose-bumps over being too warm every time, and I'm famed for having a shorts-wearing season that's months longer than most other people.

• My experience is  the only brand of shoes I find comfortable is Clarks. Even then I have to stick to the expensive ones. Look for flat ones with no height on them underneath.

Avoid any with a hard back or front, have a touch with your hand and try bending, if they are able to bend they will soften over time. The most comfortable ones Clarks do are leather or mostly leather or suede.

• The struggle is real.  I've found wearing 'sports sandals' (for lack of a better word) wherever possible to be helpful, it just keeps the level of annoyance to a minimum.  Still have to wear uncomfortable shoes while out and about unfortunately, but at least at home I can be comfortable.

• Hello, I have the same problems with shoes and clothing. Even the small threads left behind by removal of labels, hurts.i use a sewing stitch-ripper, also called seam ripper, to undo the stitches. 

Ecco shoes are good, like clarks, but expensive. I have bought good comfortable socks, then I try on shoes with thick ish socks on to make sure there is room. I always buy shoes with round toes, and I can home in on the brands that are wider in the toe box. 

Then there is the arch, where I can't bear anything tight. Velcro is good because you can make as many adjustments as you like without it taking hours.

Like trogluddite says, you can change laces and customise. The upper around your heel (not the heel under the shoe) can be 'massaged' to make it less stiff.

Another idea is apply leather cream, to soften the leather, and put a shoe stretcher in while the leather is being softened. Wipe off surplus cream after 24 hours. 

I have even enjoyed some second hand shoes recently from a cousin, they didn't hurt because they were pre worn, but they were in good condition - the first owner thought they didn't go well with their outfits. 

• Ah, a subject very dear to my heart - I have struggled to find comfortable footwear my whole life, and sadly, I think it gets ever harder as the smaller shoe makers get absorbed into the big global companies, and all the little shoe shops close where time and effort was put into measuring and fitting. Truly, I wouldn't wear shoes at all if it were possible; my feet never feel quite right when they're not exposed to the air.

My own, only partial, solution is two-fold...

Firstly, I take a kind of DIY approach. Like your grandson, I have terrible trouble finding shoes which are wide enough at the toe (I've room for at least one extra toe between my big toe and the others). So what I do is to concentrate on that when I'm trying shoes on, and ignore for the moment whether they're a bit loose at the heel, high at the arch, etc. I then go to town on them with cushioned insoles, heel grips, even sticking plasters. etc. to customise them for a better fit in the places where they're a bit loose. I find that swapping the laces for elasticated "bungee-cord" can really help too, as it eases any pressure over the top of my foot. It may also be worth investing in a pair of shoe-stretchers that go inside the shoe and push them outwards to stretch the fabric or leather - it's amazing how much "give" there can be in most shoes.

Secondly, I try to buy new shoes well before I need a new pair, as the biggest problem is often the transition from an old, nicely worn-in pair to a new pair that are too stiff, so that they don't mould to my feet very well. That way, you can gradually introduce the new shoes over time, with the old ones as a comfy back-up, while you break in the new pair. And if I do find a style that I like, I buy several pairs if I can afford it. Of course, for a fast-growing young lad, these measures may not be quite as practical as they are for me!

I've usually found that Clarks and Merrel are the best for having plenty of toe-wiggling space - though Merrel don't do much in the way of the "smart shoes" that your grandson might need for school uniform. The kind of hybrid shoe/trainer/boot kind of footwear that you find in hiking shops are usually quite good too, as they're designed for wearing with chunky socks; though I don't know how much choice there would be in children's sizes.