Shoes for sensitive feet

Hi. My 7yo grandson always complains about his shoes being uncomfortable. He is very sensitive to labels in his clothes - especially underpants - and needs everything that touches his skin to be soft and snuggly. Has anyone else had this problem with shoes, or know of a make that gives more depth and more room around the toes?

Parents
  • Hello, I have the same problems with shoes and clothing. Even the small threads left behind by removal of labels, hurts.i use a sewing stitch-ripper, also called seam ripper, to undo the stitches. 

Ecco shoes are good, like clarks, but expensive. I have bought good comfortable socks, then I try on shoes with thick ish socks on to make sure there is room. I always buy shoes with round toes, and I can home in on the brands that are wider in the toe box. 

Then there is the arch, where I can't bear anything tight. Velcro is good because you can make as many adjustments as you like without it taking hours.

Like trogluddite says, you can change laces and customise. The upper around your heel (not the heel under the shoe) can be 'massaged' to make it less stiff.

Another idea is apply leather cream, to soften the leather, and put a shoe stretcher in while the leather is being softened. Wipe off surplus cream after 24 hours. 

I have even enjoyed some second hand shoes recently from a cousin, they didn't hurt because they were pre worn, but they were in good condition - the first owner thought they didn't go well with their outfits. 

• Hello, I have the same problems with shoes and clothing. Even the small threads left behind by removal of labels, hurts.i use a sewing stitch-ripper, also called seam ripper, to undo the stitches. 

Ecco shoes are good, like clarks, but expensive. I have bought good comfortable socks, then I try on shoes with thick ish socks on to make sure there is room. I always buy shoes with round toes, and I can home in on the brands that are wider in the toe box. 

Then there is the arch, where I can't bear anything tight. Velcro is good because you can make as many adjustments as you like without it taking hours.

Like trogluddite says, you can change laces and customise. The upper around your heel (not the heel under the shoe) can be 'massaged' to make it less stiff.

Another idea is apply leather cream, to soften the leather, and put a shoe stretcher in while the leather is being softened. Wipe off surplus cream after 24 hours. 

I have even enjoyed some second hand shoes recently from a cousin, they didn't hurt because they were pre worn, but they were in good condition - the first owner thought they didn't go well with their outfits. 

Children
No Data