Shoes for sensitive feet

Hi. My 7yo grandson always complains about his shoes being uncomfortable. He is very sensitive to labels in his clothes - especially underpants - and needs everything that touches his skin to be soft and snuggly. Has anyone else had this problem with shoes, or know of a make that gives more depth and more room around the toes?

Parents
  • Ah, a subject very dear to my heart - I have struggled to find comfortable footwear my whole life, and sadly, I think it gets ever harder as the smaller shoe makers get absorbed into the big global companies, and all the little shoe shops close where time and effort was put into measuring and fitting. Truly, I wouldn't wear shoes at all if it were possible; my feet never feel quite right when they're not exposed to the air.

My own, only partial, solution is two-fold...

Firstly, I take a kind of DIY approach. Like your grandson, I have terrible trouble finding shoes which are wide enough at the toe (I've room for at least one extra toe between my big toe and the others). So what I do is to concentrate on that when I'm trying shoes on, and ignore for the moment whether they're a bit loose at the heel, high at the arch, etc. I then go to town on them with cushioned insoles, heel grips, even sticking plasters. etc. to customise them for a better fit in the places where they're a bit loose. I find that swapping the laces for elasticated "bungee-cord" can really help too, as it eases any pressure over the top of my foot. It may also be worth investing in a pair of shoe-stretchers that go inside the shoe and push them outwards to stretch the fabric or leather - it's amazing how much "give" there can be in most shoes.

Secondly, I try to buy new shoes well before I need a new pair, as the biggest problem is often the transition from an old, nicely worn-in pair to a new pair that are too stiff, so that they don't mould to my feet very well. That way, you can gradually introduce the new shoes over time, with the old ones as a comfy back-up, while you break in the new pair. And if I do find a style that I like, I buy several pairs if I can afford it. Of course, for a fast-growing young lad, these measures may not be quite as practical as they are for me!

I've usually found that Clarks and Merrel are the best for having plenty of toe-wiggling space - though Merrel don't do much in the way of the "smart shoes" that your grandson might need for school uniform. The kind of hybrid shoe/trainer/boot kind of footwear that you find in hiking shops are usually quite good too, as they're designed for wearing with chunky socks; though I don't know how much choice there would be in children's sizes.

• Ah, a subject very dear to my heart - I have struggled to find comfortable footwear my whole life, and sadly, I think it gets ever harder as the smaller shoe makers get absorbed into the big global companies, and all the little shoe shops close where time and effort was put into measuring and fitting. Truly, I wouldn't wear shoes at all if it were possible; my feet never feel quite right when they're not exposed to the air.

My own, only partial, solution is two-fold...

Firstly, I take a kind of DIY approach. Like your grandson, I have terrible trouble finding shoes which are wide enough at the toe (I've room for at least one extra toe between my big toe and the others). So what I do is to concentrate on that when I'm trying shoes on, and ignore for the moment whether they're a bit loose at the heel, high at the arch, etc. I then go to town on them with cushioned insoles, heel grips, even sticking plasters. etc. to customise them for a better fit in the places where they're a bit loose. I find that swapping the laces for elasticated "bungee-cord" can really help too, as it eases any pressure over the top of my foot. It may also be worth investing in a pair of shoe-stretchers that go inside the shoe and push them outwards to stretch the fabric or leather - it's amazing how much "give" there can be in most shoes.

Secondly, I try to buy new shoes well before I need a new pair, as the biggest problem is often the transition from an old, nicely worn-in pair to a new pair that are too stiff, so that they don't mould to my feet very well. That way, you can gradually introduce the new shoes over time, with the old ones as a comfy back-up, while you break in the new pair. And if I do find a style that I like, I buy several pairs if I can afford it. Of course, for a fast-growing young lad, these measures may not be quite as practical as they are for me!

I've usually found that Clarks and Merrel are the best for having plenty of toe-wiggling space - though Merrel don't do much in the way of the "smart shoes" that your grandson might need for school uniform. The kind of hybrid shoe/trainer/boot kind of footwear that you find in hiking shops are usually quite good too, as they're designed for wearing with chunky socks; though I don't know how much choice there would be in children's sizes.

Children
No Data