What does the community mean to you?

Hi all,

You're probably aware that our online community is funded by charitable donations. To raise money for our services, such as our online community, it's helpful to let people know the difference a service can make. 

If you've got a few minutes, it'd be really helpful if you could let us know what our community means to you. We'll be using the responses here as part of future fundraising appeals, but it'll be anonymous. If you do comment here, I'll take it that you're happy for us to use your responses. Alternatively you can let us know by email  - mystory@nas.org.uk

Some news
-We're evaluating private messaging at the moment to see if it's feasible. I'm very much up for having this functionality, but there's a few hurdles. 
-We're in the process of training new moderators, which should help with the spam/research posts. 

• This site isn't autism friendly. It seems designed for neurotypical relatives. But relatives often seem to come here under the impression professionals will respond. There don't seem to be professionals here. And if the person gets a response from someone even better, ie who actually has autism, the relative can seem ungrateful. Maybe ignorance was bliss to them before. So when they have an answer they don't like they can turn on the messenger. This forum seems to be pretty useless from both sides.

An autism forum should primarily be for those who have autism. For those with autism to debate, discuss & generally be normal autistic people. Without moderators removing all our hard work. It's a big slap in the face when they do this. Why not have a separate forum specifically for relatives, neurotypicals & those of a sensitive nature. That actually admits it's not designed for our benefit. It seems wrong to trade off our name, when you want us to be anything but autistic.

• I recently joined the forum because the NAS was the most obvious site. I had a growing need to connect to people that understood the same issues I do. I wanted to help others and myself by sharing thoughts. I am happy when people join in and exchange their ideas and experiences and I look forward to replies. It feels like I belong.

I am also educated by people that write about difficulties and experiences that I have not known myself. Their is something safe about not having to talk face to face and it's wonderful when people you don't know choose to engage positivly to be with you for a few moments of their time.

I think I would enjoy a private messaging service.

• It gives me some much needed comfort and understanding. This is an outlet for me to discuss the problems I face and find ways of coping with them. It is also a space for me to help others when I can. No one should have to face this alone and this is a great way to provide much needed support that the health service or other institutions just cannot provide.

• I'm wondering how often people come here... because... I don't do so that often...

• Hi everyone,

I have been going through a hard time at present.  This forum helps me put my problems in to context.  

Reading others experiences reminded me of the fact we all have the ability to help others or share problems.

Reading others experiences of parenting an asd Child or being diagnosed later in life is a relief for me.

I didn't have any one in my situation to relate to.  

Star

• hi everyone

I am a mum to a teenager who is currently waiting for diagnosis, but I have been told there is no support available in my local area anyway, and it was suggested I join this site. I hope to find more information, and think sharing experiences and ideas could be a big help too.  

• I'm a newbie here, but I'm glad the forum exists. Over the past 2-3 years, I've come to recognise that I am on the Spectrum. So much in my childhood and earlier years clicks into place. I don't have a formal diagnosis, and remain a switherer as to whether that's a route I should pursue; but it's good to feel part of a wider community. I remember when I outed myself in another online community, someone else remarked that he'd already guessed a long time ago, because of the way I write, and said, "Welcome to the tribe!" I want to be able to say "Welcome to the tribe!" to others, so that we can all work to help each other navigate a world that's largely designed for a different OS to the ones we run on.

• I am an NT single mum with two ASC children.  Many of my friends don't understand ASC and it is extremely difficult talking to them about my worries, concerns. 

On this forum, I can speak to NT's and ASC people at the same time and get a balanced perspective.  

My ex's family fight me every step of the way with regards to the parenting of the children and undermine everything I do and it does shake your confidence.  Knowing that other ASC children behave the way my children do speaks volumes in supporting my belief that it's not my parenting that is to blame (although I not naiive enough to say that I am the perfect mum, knowing full well I have made many mistakes and continue to learn).

Although I have only been on this forum of a few months now, I have noticed a trend in the types of discussions that crop up again and again.  I hope that NAS is taking note of these and flagging these as serious concerns that need addressing.

Thank you all.

• If I could take up DaisyGirl's point about "if any professionals dealing with people with autism used the community so they could better understand us".

The community discussions provide a shared safe space where we can help each other.

On one hand it might not feel so safe if we were being watched all the time by professionals, like we were in cages at a zoo.

On the other hand, there are times when we'd like the professionals to take note. Hence I certainly drop large hints (and sometimes sarcasm.......) wishing they were listening, but being resigned to the fact they probably aren't.

This forum would be a good way for professionals to learn about autism from the people living with it.

The curious thing about this discussion group is that anyone can observe (guest) anonymously. You only have to register to post. For all we know trhere may be professionals looking in from time to time. But we really do get zero information on that.

And as I have pointed out before, the NAS professionals forum doesn't have a guest facility. You have to register, and registration I found was a good bit trickier, so I abandoned trying. So we cannot find out what the professionals are saying about us, even though they can observe (if they ever feel inclined) our fustrations about them.

• The community is a great addition to the NAS site.

When I first heard it was starting I checked the website every day to see if it had begun yet. I was so excited to be able to connect with other people on the spectrum.

It is absolutely incredible to be able to share experiences, and see that my own experiences are not unusual, to get ideas and to broaden my interest in all things Aspie. 

I would really miss the community if it wasn't here, especially as I live in rural Scotland and there is no opportunity to have the types of discussion, or sharing of information with other autistic people, or their parents and partners.

It would be even better if any professionals dealing with people with autism used the community so they could better understand us.

I hope the community goes on and on!!

• Thank you all for sharing so eloquently, it is much appreciated.

If anyone else would like to share they're very welcome to. 

• I have two children diagnosed with autism. My son is severe. My daughter high functioning. I have had to fight to get her support. When it felt like the world was against me, people on this forum were there for me. This gave me the strength to continue to fight to get my daughter the support she needs and deserves. When my son was formally diagnosed 2 days after his 3rd birthday, I couldn't stop crying. The support from this forum helped me dry my tears. The world would be a much lonelier place for people affected by autism if we didn't have this forum.
  • Hope, at a personal level, that was touching and I am pleased that the forum helps you.

• I check out the forum every day because it is interesting to read about other people's experiences. It can feel very lonely having Asperger's, and I don't have any friends in real life. Corresponding on the forum with people who have had similar experiences to me is liberating, and brings meaning to my life. When I am feeling anxious or stressed, the forum helps me take my mind off these negative thoughts because I somehow feel less alone, despite not physically being in the same room as the other members. In fact, I can feel more alone when I am actually with people in person!

I am in my own space, my bedroom, with the door shut, yet I am engaging socially with other forum members in a safe place. I enjoy getting involved in debates and discussions, and learning about different perspectives.

I would be very sad if the forum stopped running. It has made my life so much more enjoyable.

• To me, it means helping others if I can.  Spreading the word.  There are a lot of people out there seeking help and advice.  I want to share what I have learned with them, because I have a strong sense of justice and don't like people being fobbed off or not helped.  The more people that know their rights, the more that autism awareness will be helped.

It also means, I can vent at times if I need, and get input from others in similar situations.  Even if that's just confirmation that I am justified in feeling that way it can help.  The world knocks people on the spectrum all the time, so you can doubt yourself a lot, knowing you are not alone and you are therefore not at fault or weird means a lot.

Some lonely Aspies and auties might come on here looking to connect with others like them.  To have that chance is really important as they may not see people in their real lives.  It's reaching out to those people.

Finally, it means that if I need information I can ask others here too.  Even another perspective can sometimes be useful.  Autism forums are a vital resource for a variety of reasons.  Funding is so important to ensure it is kept going.