What does the community mean to you?

Hi all,

You're probably aware that our online community is funded by charitable donations. To raise money for our services, such as our online community, it's helpful to let people know the difference a service can make. 

If you've got a few minutes, it'd be really helpful if you could let us know what our community means to you. We'll be using the responses here as part of future fundraising appeals, but it'll be anonymous. If you do comment here, I'll take it that you're happy for us to use your responses. Alternatively you can let us know by email  - mystory@nas.org.uk

Some news
-We're evaluating private messaging at the moment to see if it's feasible. I'm very much up for having this functionality, but there's a few hurdles. 
-We're in the process of training new moderators, which should help with the spam/research posts. 

Parents
  • To me, it means helping others if I can.  Spreading the word.  There are a lot of people out there seeking help and advice.  I want to share what I have learned with them, because I have a strong sense of justice and don't like people being fobbed off or not helped.  The more people that know their rights, the more that autism awareness will be helped.

It also means, I can vent at times if I need, and get input from others in similar situations.  Even if that's just confirmation that I am justified in feeling that way it can help.  The world knocks people on the spectrum all the time, so you can doubt yourself a lot, knowing you are not alone and you are therefore not at fault or weird means a lot.

Some lonely Aspies and auties might come on here looking to connect with others like them.  To have that chance is really important as they may not see people in their real lives.  It's reaching out to those people.

Finally, it means that if I need information I can ask others here too.  Even another perspective can sometimes be useful.  Autism forums are a vital resource for a variety of reasons.  Funding is so important to ensure it is kept going.

• To me, it means helping others if I can.  Spreading the word.  There are a lot of people out there seeking help and advice.  I want to share what I have learned with them, because I have a strong sense of justice and don't like people being fobbed off or not helped.  The more people that know their rights, the more that autism awareness will be helped.

It also means, I can vent at times if I need, and get input from others in similar situations.  Even if that's just confirmation that I am justified in feeling that way it can help.  The world knocks people on the spectrum all the time, so you can doubt yourself a lot, knowing you are not alone and you are therefore not at fault or weird means a lot.

Some lonely Aspies and auties might come on here looking to connect with others like them.  To have that chance is really important as they may not see people in their real lives.  It's reaching out to those people.

Finally, it means that if I need information I can ask others here too.  Even another perspective can sometimes be useful.  Autism forums are a vital resource for a variety of reasons.  Funding is so important to ensure it is kept going.

Children
No Data