What does the community mean to you?

Hi all,

You're probably aware that our online community is funded by charitable donations. To raise money for our services, such as our online community, it's helpful to let people know the difference a service can make. 

If you've got a few minutes, it'd be really helpful if you could let us know what our community means to you. We'll be using the responses here as part of future fundraising appeals, but it'll be anonymous. If you do comment here, I'll take it that you're happy for us to use your responses. Alternatively you can let us know by email  - mystory@nas.org.uk

Some news
-We're evaluating private messaging at the moment to see if it's feasible. I'm very much up for having this functionality, but there's a few hurdles. 
-We're in the process of training new moderators, which should help with the spam/research posts. 

Parents
  • If I could take up DaisyGirl's point about "if any professionals dealing with people with autism used the community so they could better understand us".

The community discussions provide a shared safe space where we can help each other.

On one hand it might not feel so safe if we were being watched all the time by professionals, like we were in cages at a zoo.

On the other hand, there are times when we'd like the professionals to take note. Hence I certainly drop large hints (and sometimes sarcasm.......) wishing they were listening, but being resigned to the fact they probably aren't.

This forum would be a good way for professionals to learn about autism from the people living with it.

The curious thing about this discussion group is that anyone can observe (guest) anonymously. You only have to register to post. For all we know trhere may be professionals looking in from time to time. But we really do get zero information on that.

And as I have pointed out before, the NAS professionals forum doesn't have a guest facility. You have to register, and registration I found was a good bit trickier, so I abandoned trying. So we cannot find out what the professionals are saying about us, even though they can observe (if they ever feel inclined) our fustrations about them.

• If I could take up DaisyGirl's point about "if any professionals dealing with people with autism used the community so they could better understand us".

The community discussions provide a shared safe space where we can help each other.

On one hand it might not feel so safe if we were being watched all the time by professionals, like we were in cages at a zoo.

On the other hand, there are times when we'd like the professionals to take note. Hence I certainly drop large hints (and sometimes sarcasm.......) wishing they were listening, but being resigned to the fact they probably aren't.

This forum would be a good way for professionals to learn about autism from the people living with it.

The curious thing about this discussion group is that anyone can observe (guest) anonymously. You only have to register to post. For all we know trhere may be professionals looking in from time to time. But we really do get zero information on that.

And as I have pointed out before, the NAS professionals forum doesn't have a guest facility. You have to register, and registration I found was a good bit trickier, so I abandoned trying. So we cannot find out what the professionals are saying about us, even though they can observe (if they ever feel inclined) our fustrations about them.

Children
No Data