Sleep

How do you sleep?

Do you need much sleep?

I don't sleep the best but I find I do require a lot of sleep. I'm tired a lot of the time. Tiredness can lead to dizziness for me but I get insomnia so it's a difficult one.

I've taken to drinking a cup of tea before bed and that helps but I still don't sleep as well as I'd like.

I wonder if that's a part of my autism or just a coincidence??

• I'm almost under the impression that sleep is something that other people do. 

Apparently most ND people have difficulty sleeping from time to time.

I haven't slept solidly for years and it's getting worse. Meds either prescribed or herbal have minimal effect other than the morning after hangover. I do the whole sleep hygiene thing and avoid caffeine after 3pm.

Tried meditation, relaxation techniques, breathing exercises all to no avail.

I put it down to stress but doing something about it is tricky.

• Sleep is difficult for me, I'm intensely anxious when it comes to sleeping and I try hard not to go to sleep. I don't require much sleep. I am tired a lot, get a lot of fatigue too. My room is my sanctuary, it's where I spend all of my time but I dread sleeping. 

• If anyone is curious about how much sleep they should be getting based on their age and other factors, I came across this informative article on [link removed by moderator] provides a helpful overview of the recommended amount of sleep for different age groups and offers tips for improving the quality of your sleep.

• Some common recommendations include establishing a consistent bedtime routine, avoiding caffeine and alcohol before bed, creating a comfortable sleep environment, and limiting screen time in the evening. Additionally, some people find relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or gentle yoga helpful for promoting relaxation before bedtime.

• Try laying on the edge of the bed.
    You'll soon drop off.

• My autism pre-diagnosis reckons I have it too, so I need to decide whether to pursue diagnosis and possibly medication for it... But I am looking into coaching for my executive (lack of) function for now.

• That's a good shout.

My friend (has ADHD) and she suggested I get diagnosed at some point.

It's on my list of things to talk to gp about.

• Busy brain that never switches off can be ADHD, might be worth considering?

• I also find stress can make me sleep, which seems weird, but I suppose is part of the freeze response. I've never had really bad insomnia, but I do find it makes me feel quite unwell to not get enough sleep, as well as being a most frustrating experience. Especially as not sleeping can make my arthritis worse and then that makes it harder to fall asleep! So I do try to have good sleep hygiene. I'm sorry you've had that experience.

• Thanks for the suggestions I'll give them a try.

I don't do much reading my eyes are so tired all the time. After a while reading isn't possible sadly.

• Thanks for this! I'll check it out now.

I think a busy brain is a lot of my problem if I'm honest.

My head never switches off it just keeps going on and on.

• Sleep is much needed. I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Get well soon - you don't need illness on top of everything else!

I'm on three naps today. It's been a good day. But I think I'll need more sleep soon.

• Insomnia is the worst. Normally I’m closer to being narcoleptic (exaggerating) in that enough rumination and worry over hours and my body imposes downtime on me. But a couple of times in the last three years I’ve been so emotionally distraught that nightly sleep was simply impossible. For days at a time. It was horrific. No escape from the torture. 

• Not a coincidence. Here is a podcast about sleep and neurodivergence:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3jlyOWln2MMpobOHnJzaAs?si=fKds9JJaQWul0B3W5bvdwg

I need my 8 hours and still have low energy levels. It can be hard to fall asleep if I have a busy brain or my sensory issues are being difficult, especially if my breathing is noisy. My Dad (self diagnosed autistic) has insomnia and usually gets less than 5 hours, I don't know hoe he functions!

• I’ve just woken up from my fourth additional sleep of the day. Each about half an hour to an hour long. I’m not normally quite this bad (recovering from some illness), but I tire easily and do go into shot-down/refresh mode at regular intervals l, especially after evem mild exertion. I’m a bit of night owl but would still need a decent 6-7 hours once I’m over.