Welcome Pack

After my diagnosis at 57 a few weeks ago, I thought I would join.

So, today, my welcome pack arrives, all emblazoned with NAS pictures and logo, and the word "Welcome".

Gee, thanks, NAS for outing me to the postman (who I have a good relationship with).  Shouldn't that have been my decision?

• Really interesting thread which says alot about our relationship to autism.... or it is I worry about societies perception of the condition that there seems to be an embarrassment and shame associated with it, or is it because it is the loss of agency to decide yourself who knows?

Do have such post from NAS who assume that I support the charity but not necessarily mean that I had the condition in such a way as receiving post from Cancer Research does not imply that I have the condition myself.

On an a economic note, plain envelopes would be cheaper.... and can totally understand why it might unsettle.

• I today received  the Autism Magazine and it advertises autism everywhere. Autism logos all over the place. I am not happy.

I also received a membership renewal letter with the society's logo on the envelope.

I do not understand why the letters cannot be enveloped discreetly.

• I thought it was a bit off advertising the fact I’m autistic to everyone.  What happen to a plain envelope?

• Let us know if there is any response. 

• Well they had income of £97,290,000 for the year end 31 March 2017 so they are not doing too badly although I assume that a large chunk of that is money from public sector bodies for the provision of services.

• Yes, thanks.  I emailed them.  Dare say nothing will happen Slight smile

• Branding.....

I suppose they have to make their money somehow, with all the cuts. I ordered an information pack from NAS in 1993, all in a discreet brown envelope. I just found it all so depressing. All about parents with their high expectations for their offspring dashed, case studies all then BA give g on about the lack of empathy thing. 

Have you complai ed by email to them?

• Greetings to you, too.

You had me at "Cynosure" - how did I get to this age and not have come across that word?

Many thanks for the very useful information.  I think I'm beginning to see the lay of the land more clearly now, particularly the bias towards children and families.  I didn't realise there is a local group in my nearest town but the sad fact is that there is no provision for adults there; it's only for children and families.

The only card in the pack was a "I'm not naughty. I'm autistic" postcard.

I hate being sold to, so I can only hope there is a simple way to opt out of the sales pitch for raffle tickets etc.

Thanks again for replying.

• Greetings... From an ex-NAS Member.

One of the best things about joining NAS was to recieve the Magazine "Aspergers United"... but, now, likely not, because this must be separately paid for, now.

The absolute best thing from NAS themselves, is the "Autism Alert" Card... hopefully you gained that, at least...?

Also from NAS, they send you Electronic versions of some sort of NAS Magazine... I cannot myself unsubscribe to this, because I cannot EMail them...

I discontinued my own NAS membership, yet stayed with AU, because, as said here, NAS and its magazines favoured very much the "Child and Family" aspect. AU is only quarterly, but is more like this Forum with regards to content.

I almost forgot to say... NAS will likely ask you to sell "Raffle Tickets" soon, and "Christmas Cards" come November. And inbetween ask you to buy lots of books, and to pay huge amounts of money (sometimes >£80) for conventions and perks and subscriptions and talks...

In closing: It is understandable that they must raise funds, but it is difficult to get them to understand that not all Autistic Adults are Rich and  Congenial and with Families.

• NAS, keep the contents inside, instead of using the envelope to proselytise.

Completely agree with you.

• Thank you for the thread.

I had and have exactly the same problem.

I thought it would be a great idea to join. So, I joined.

I was upset when I received the Welcome Pack. All emblazoned with NAS pictures and logo, and the word "Welcome".

Plus, I receive the quarterly magazines. The same thing. The logos and pictures all over the place. The cover is not covered.

I thought and hoped that everything will be discreetly enveloped. But, it is not the case.

I would, actually, prefer to receive PDF copies of the magazines. I do not need the paper copies.

I, most likely, will not renew the subscription as nothing is discreetly enveloped.

I really understand the author.

I am also quite disappointed.

• That's very interesting.  I feel like I'm wading in with my big size nines into an organisation where I don't know the ins and outs so this is all very helpful.

• Out of interest I looked up the NAS on the Charity Commission website.

According to the website the charitable objects of the NAS are the development, delivery and promotion of the education, health, welfare care and support of people with autism and related conditions so I could argue that the NAS should be mainly for people with autism not their family and friends, although I accept that helping family and friends is a valid way of helping people with autism.

According to the website one of the old names of the society was the National Society for Autistic Children which ties in with what I have already said about the roots of the society.

• Thanks, Taltunes.  I really appreciate you replying :)

• I suspect also, although I don't know, that more of the NAS's members are family or friends than people on the spectrum and to some extent the society is merely reflecting it's membership. 

• Just to clarify I am not saying that the NAS should exist more for family or friends of people on the spectrum than for people on the spectrum itself but I suspect that is the root / history of the society and it is how it appears to act some of the time.

• I'm a bit surprised if the NAS is more for family or friends but I take your point.  But still, it just makes it an issue, when it's unnecessary.

NAS, keep the contents inside, instead of using the envelope to proselytise.

• As I have posted in another thread the NAS arguably exists more for family or friends of people on the spectrum than for people on the spectrum itself so the pack could just mean to the postman that you had a family member or friend on the spectrum.

I am not saying this helps but it may explain NAS's lack of thought.