Welcome Pack

After my diagnosis at 57 a few weeks ago, I thought I would join.

So, today, my welcome pack arrives, all emblazoned with NAS pictures and logo, and the word "Welcome".

Gee, thanks, NAS for outing me to the postman (who I have a good relationship with).  Shouldn't that have been my decision?

• Dear California,

Thank you for your message and feedback regarding your membership.

I have passed on your feedback to our Membership team, and I have asked that they look into this.

In the meantime, I believe the team send members alert cards on request. If you would like to request a free alert card please contact our Membership team via email on membership@nas.org.uk, and the team will send you one out from Head Office.

As you correctly mentioned, our alert cards are currently out of stock. We are in the process of reprinting our alert cards, and we are hopeful that they will be available to be purchased in the coming weeks.

Kind regards,

Ayshe Mod

• The welcome pack's letter still shows ''Membership number: XXXXX" and "Expiry date: XX/XX/XXXX" even without opening the envelope through the window.

I did not receive a copy of the autism alert card.

I wonder why the shop says for weeks that you are out of stock of the autism alert cards.

• Hi California,

After a lot of feedback from our members, we no longer use envelopes with our branding on it to send out membership mailings. Our welcome packs now come in a plain white windowed envelopes, which is far more discreet.

Our quarterly magazines also don't get sent out with any branding. We now sent it in  a plastic packaging which is blacked out at the back, and a separate cover shetet with your address which is on the front . The only identifiable thing to the NAS, is the return to sender address on the cover sheet at the front, but that is at the bottom.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ayshe Mod

• I wonder if this is still the case?

I would like to become a member but I do not want to receive mail all emblazoned with NAS pictures and logo.

• it sounds like the uncovered magazine it's a major barrier to a lot of people accessing support from the NAS.

I am one of them.

• Is it possible to sign up somewhere online for the "free" electronic versions of the magazines?

• When I was receiving the magazine, it was totally uncovered.

This was one of the reasons why I did not renew the membership.

However, I liked the magazine itself.

• The Spectrum magazine (was called Aspergers United) is available online free here: https://www.autism.org.uk/about/adult-life/resources/the-spectrum.aspx

• Thats because we are too old they're not interested in adults......

• I signed up for the "free" electronic version of the magazines at the Autism Show in July but as yet no email "link" received.

• I have not found an electronic version that I might be able to access.

When I was a member none of the letters I ever received were discreet.

One of the letters even advertised the membership number through the envelope's window.

• I agree with you that it should be discreet, it sounds like the uncovered magazine it's a major barrier to a lot of people accessing support from the NAS. 

I have no idea if NAS fixed this issue yet. 

Do they have an electronic version that you might be able to access?

• Are the membership subscription letters still emblazoned with NAS pictures and logo?

I would like to become a member and to receive Your Autism Magazine magazine but I want to receive it discreetly.

• Yes, unfortunately they are.

• Come to think of it.  Showing your membership number I think is a breach of Data Protection Act.  Possibly the magazine uncovered is too.  Particularly because you don’t have the option to receive it covered.

• Damn insomnia lol

I receive many posted "Clear bag" publications (Screwfix, BT Broadband, etc) and many of these are effectively, in my words, outsourced to a company that just automatically "binds" the insert in plastic.

Thus some of it identifies I attended the University of Life, have a Tesco/Saisburys/Waitrose/Boots "points" card, etc.  This is how things have changed and the savings are at the detriment of someone's life (or their family).

Some of this mail I class as Junk and the worst I find is when the name/address is printed on the plastic (or the paper label uses Evostik).  Paper is much easier to shred/burn.

• Yes. Membership number showing and NAS emblazoned on the front. 

• Are the membership subscription letters still emblazoned with NAS pictures and logo?

I would like to receive Your Autism Magazine magazine but I want to receive it discreetly.

• I agree.  Even my mum’s Woman’s Own magazine comes from the Postman and is wrapped discreetly.

I’m also disappointed in the Your Autism magazine.  I would have hoped it was a hybrid magazine.  For both families of and for Autistic people.

When going through I found it very poor.  The articles were not detailed enough and felt like a pamphlet made into a magazine.  Not to mention the Adverts!

Perhaps NAS can make it a hybrid magazine.  I am now doubting whether to renew my membership. 

Come on NAS you can do better.

• The membership renewal letter shows ''Membership Number: XXXXX" even without opening the envelope.

It is very clear to everybody just looking at the envelope that I am a member.

or it is I worry about societies perception of the condition that there seems to be an embarrassment and shame associated with it, or is it because it is the loss of agency to decide yourself who knows?

I think it is all of them together. I value my privacy.