Welcome Pack

After my diagnosis at 57 a few weeks ago, I thought I would join.

So, today, my welcome pack arrives, all emblazoned with NAS pictures and logo, and the word "Welcome".

Gee, thanks, NAS for outing me to the postman (who I have a good relationship with).  Shouldn't that have been my decision?

Parents
  • Greetings... From an ex-NAS Member.

One of the best things about joining NAS was to recieve the Magazine "Aspergers United"... but, now, likely not, because this must be separately paid for, now.

The absolute best thing from NAS themselves, is the "Autism Alert" Card... hopefully you gained that, at least...?

Also from NAS, they send you Electronic versions of some sort of NAS Magazine... I cannot myself unsubscribe to this, because I cannot EMail them...

I discontinued my own NAS membership, yet stayed with AU, because, as said here, NAS and its magazines favoured very much the "Child and Family" aspect. AU is only quarterly, but is more like this Forum with regards to content.

I almost forgot to say... NAS will likely ask you to sell "Raffle Tickets" soon, and "Christmas Cards" come November. And inbetween ask you to buy lots of books, and to pay huge amounts of money (sometimes >£80) for conventions and perks and subscriptions and talks...

In closing: It is understandable that they must raise funds, but it is difficult to get them to understand that not all Autistic Adults are Rich and  Congenial and with Families.

• Greetings... From an ex-NAS Member.

One of the best things about joining NAS was to recieve the Magazine "Aspergers United"... but, now, likely not, because this must be separately paid for, now.

The absolute best thing from NAS themselves, is the "Autism Alert" Card... hopefully you gained that, at least...?

Also from NAS, they send you Electronic versions of some sort of NAS Magazine... I cannot myself unsubscribe to this, because I cannot EMail them...

I discontinued my own NAS membership, yet stayed with AU, because, as said here, NAS and its magazines favoured very much the "Child and Family" aspect. AU is only quarterly, but is more like this Forum with regards to content.

I almost forgot to say... NAS will likely ask you to sell "Raffle Tickets" soon, and "Christmas Cards" come November. And inbetween ask you to buy lots of books, and to pay huge amounts of money (sometimes >£80) for conventions and perks and subscriptions and talks...

In closing: It is understandable that they must raise funds, but it is difficult to get them to understand that not all Autistic Adults are Rich and  Congenial and with Families.

Children
  • Greetings to you, too.

You had me at "Cynosure" - how did I get to this age and not have come across that word?

Many thanks for the very useful information.  I think I'm beginning to see the lay of the land more clearly now, particularly the bias towards children and families.  I didn't realise there is a local group in my nearest town but the sad fact is that there is no provision for adults there; it's only for children and families.

The only card in the pack was a "I'm not naughty. I'm autistic" postcard.

I hate being sold to, so I can only hope there is a simple way to opt out of the sales pitch for raffle tickets etc.

Thanks again for replying.