Lonely struggle to make friends

Hi im a 30 year old female with aspergers i was diagnosed when i was 22 i have constantly struggled with meeting people and have zero friends to talk to, i feel so lonely any ideas on how to change this.

Lis

Just to add ive had 1 friend who recently moved away with her boyfriend and now im back to square 1

• Have you tried clubs to meet new people with similar interests?

• I'm sorry you feel lonely. I get this, I've been lonely for as long as I can remember. At school I was always on my own, unable to mix and play like the other kids.

I hope you can make some friends here it seems a very friendly and understanding community.

• Hi. it does seem we find it difficult to create or maintain friendships.  

What hobbies do you have or activities do you like? could you find a club related to one of those.

• Hi Lis, I can completely relate to this. Is it where you may think, 'I know of lots of people, work with lots of people, but do not have anyone to send a text to or do not receive any texts from a friend'.  Neurotypicals seem to constantly be chatting, texting, browsing social media and having lots of conversions about random stuff?

I've watched a few youtube videos suggesting to try and make friends through interests you have.

• Hey so sorry was not able to log on for a while  im based in Manchester how about your self? 

• Sometimes I think titles such as "friends" get in the way and end up making us feel even more isolated. When I feel this way I try to appreciate even the small connections in life from the pleasant conversations you've had or even just a time someone smiled at you in passing. The point I'm trying to make is that its easy to feel isolated and alone but its surprisingly difficult to actually be completely alone. In terms of moving forwards I think its important to make small changes in your life (at your own pace) to put yourself in situations with people. Maybe try a concert or if you prefer something quieter perhaps go the library more often (see if they have any book clubs or anything like that) but honestly this is what I recommend but I still struggle with this too.

• Hey ! I have Aspergers am 33 and was diagnosed at 31. I struggle to find like minded people to connect with and who understand me. Where abouts are you based?

• Hey thanks for replying, yes online feels so much easier lol Laughing 

• Hey thanks for the reply, an i hope the friendship isnt lost its just i feel like i am mivering her when she has a whole new group of friends if that makes sense.

• Your still young and know at early age, thy  50 ,  and expect to get it , it's a gift and curse 

• Hi guys and girls or whatever you want to be, not long been diagnosed, well 7 months ish , looking for friends 

• I hope your friend's move doesn't mean they are forever lost to you.  My two best friends live in different cities to me now because life required we move.  Still my best mates, though.  We speak often and see each other when we can.  I miss them being around the corner, but we are still there for each other.

I get what you mean about wanting to broaden your outlook and have more immediate companionship.  Are there any local groups that match your interests, where you might encounter some like minded souls?

• Quality is more important than quantity; something I learned, the hard way.

I wanted to have so many 'friends' both online, and in real life, but now realise that my close network of friends helps me much better.

• This forum is a great place to fish for a positive interaction with someone, keep on posting here, and your kindred-spirits will become apparent. 

Before I was diagnosed the only means I had of noting my character was MBTI, and all it taught me in terms of social opportunity, was that there is a 4% chance to ever run into someone like me. Now that I’ve been diagnosed, it turns out that the 4% I’ve been looking for, are accumulating in this forum.. you’re in the right place..Grin

• Hi Lis, welcome. I'm sorry you're feeling so lonely.

I understand the feelings of loneliness. Because of our struggles it can be a lonely place on the spectrum, people and being social isn't our strong point.

That's what I like about being online, less stress and I can be myself.

I think starting online looking for friends is a good place to start. It'll be less anxiety for you and there's a lot of lovely people here. Going to small groups could be good too. I help out in the church, and I've met a few nice people doing that.

• Hi and thank you for replying Relaxed️, i am the same i struggle to meet people, thats partly because of the way i was treated in school etc aswell, i was always the outsider and classed as different, at 30 year's old i still feel the same now its just difficult aint to to find people that completely accept you for who you are.

• Hello Lis, welcome to the forum!

I was diagnosed with Level 2 ASD at the age of 24, I'm now nearly 28.

I also struggle to meet people. Really, I have only been in touch with one friend from primary school. He moved to London for work, he then met his girlfriend. He now lives in Norwich. We still communicate by email.

My trouble with meeting people is mainly based on trust issues, due to how I was treated in high school and some of my workplaces.

• Hey thanks for your reply, i have just joined this forum today hoping for some ideas as i agree finding friends is so hard, even joining clubs etc i find hard and making the 1st step. 

• Hi Lis,

so sorry you're feeling lonely, I think it's something a lot of us struggle with, me included.

Finding friends is pretty difficult so I would also love to hear if anyone has any ideas. But this forum is very friendly, supportive and helpful, I've not been here long myself but I do feel like I have found a little clan to belong to. I know online is not the same as real life but it's better than nothing.