Very late diagnosis

Hi,  I was diagnosed in 2019 at age 67.   

I struggle on a daily basis with certain autistic traits and with physical and mental health issues. 

Lockdown has made everything worse. 

I had to withdraw from Facebook as I was overwhelmed but really miss interaction.  

I hope to find some empathy here.

Looking forward to being part of the community here.  Blush

• I only "discovered" my autism in 2019 as well (I am 61). It was an eye opener and made sense as to my behaviours and mental health over all the previous years.

I wish I had known this a long time ago and changes could have been made to many things. People around me would have known why I had the behaviours that I did, I wasn't just anti-social. Could have saved my marriage which failed in 2019 as well, most importantly.

• Recently been diagnosed at the age of 61, struggling at work because people just do not understand. They say I have to change my behavior. Was hoping this diagnosis would help me but I'm now wishing I hadn't said anything 

• Hi, Nananina. I received my diagnosis a few days ago, and I'm 49. Mine came out-of-the-blue. I was in disbelief when the mental health nurse referred me to the assessment team, and having been treated for anxiety and depression since an early age, and being told everything from, "You have M.E, chronic fatigue syndrome," to "you're listening to too much loud music." I didn't really take it seriously. I'm still processing the diagnosis and learning about what it means for me. The assessment team were great and have helped me understand why some of my behaviours might be viewed as strange by people without autism. And why, many, if not all of the ways our society is organised make it very difficult for me to function to my full potential. My attitude towards the diagnosis changes. At the moment I resent the fact that I've had to struggle on for so long without any support or understanding. Yesterday, however, I was excited about the prospect of starting a new chapter.

• Big respect for sticking with it and pursuing a diagnosis.

Look forward to reading your inputs.

• Lovely to find there are lots of older people here just being diagnosed (i'm 50), Lockdown has been mixed .. on one hand an excuse to isolate , but then feeling lonely. 

• Hello nananina, I too was officially diagnosed at 67 (am now 68).  I'd been self-diagnosed for many years but  official recognition from a qualified professional made  all the difference.   I'm still fitting pieces together and coming to understand past events so much better.  Have yet to 'come-out' to family and friends, so for the time being this is 'my' autism, and 'it' and me are getting along just fine. I'm not on social media, but am a long-time member of another forum similar to this one (Not ASD) and have gained much from it.

Ben

• Welcome, I'm 58 went through the NHS late last year but they said I wasn't obsessive enough to get a formal diagnosis, but I identify with so many of the social issues and like the supportive community here.

• Welcome!

I was 62 when diagnosed.  Now drawing my state pension.  I think retired autistic people are somewhat a forgotten sector.  Past the age of 18 help for autistic people seems to get ever less.

But autism is for life, not just for children. And older autistic people have a wealth of experience of how they have confronted life's problems.

I find that retirement has meant that I can now be my own person a lot more, with not so much interference from others.  Help is always welcome, but many cannot recognise the difference between help and interference. My physical health is not such that it prevents me doing many things, although I suffer from painful arthritis and heart problems.

• I've heard of people in their 80s being diagnosed but never personally come across anyone so near my own age.  Nice to "meet" you Jazzyjuls Blush

I hadn't realised I was masking and find it almost impossible to unmask......I definitely seem to have always had a separate persona for interacting with people with whom I wasn't close.  Even with close family,  I realise I hid a lot.   

I'm constantly having "aha" moments when I realise why I act the way I do.  I live with my husband and son and they are learning with me.

• Hi. I am counting down to turning 50. I know what you mean about feeling lonely but also getting overwhelmed. I am quite new to the forum but have already found it a haven from needing to mask all the time. Welcome to the forum. 

• Big hello! I'm in my forties and still awaiting my assessment (hopefully later this year). 

I get overwhelmed by social media too and have to take a break and I had to give up Twitter entirely. Sometimes I go through and unfollow (rather than unfriend) with lots of people or groups on Facebook because I just can't handle their stuff suddenly popping up on my news feed. I will go and check in with their profiles still, but I'll only do it when I feel I can handle it rather than get surprised by it. 

Welcome to the forum :) 

• Hi, just the Official welcome o this forum :) 

Feel free to join in any of the discussions or post one way updates in the "# daily updates #" discussion

community.autism.org.uk/.../daily-updates

• Hi Nananina, I have just been diagnosed at age 56, so a whole lot of past to work through with this new knowledge about myself.

It feels like I have not only been 'masking' (not always successfully) with other people, but have also been with myself. It's a weird feeling.

I try not to use Facebook much - it mostly makes me feel more isolated and anxious - am definitely missing seeing people I know and being out and about like I would pre lockdown.

I am lucky that I have some lockdown work at home to keep me busy and distracted, away from overloading my brain, but I can appreciate how difficult you are finding things.

Take care of yourself, it will get better soon hopefully.

• Hi Nananina. I too was diagnosed in 2019, aged 66. So I've found somebody

older than me! I know a woman in her 70s but she was diagnosed in her 40s.

Its strange getting to know the 'real you', don't you think? But it explains such a 

lot to me.

• The site is just not very good on certain devices. I have trouble too. 

I'm Michelle, 32, waiting for assessment at the moment. Welcome to our lovely community.

• I can't navigate this site......really struggling.  I was adding to my profile but it just disappeared and no idea how to find it again Rolling eyes   Any help appreciated....thanks Blush

• Hi - Welcome to the forum  Smiley

I'm mid-50s - there's a few of us oldies on here.

• I'm 47 and going to be tested this afternoon.  I totally understand the position you are in.  It's all so tiring.