Eating the Same Meal each day

I can eat fish and rice seven nights a week and am just wondering if this is an autism thing? 

Is it comfort through repetition maybe?  ......(seems unlikely).

Do others here have similarly bad dietry habits?

Ben

• I found three meals that don't give me stomach ache and now I eat them every day. I don't think it's a bad dietary habit, I think it's an efficient and sensible way of fueling myself.

• I have just like the same 3/4 set meals which I just repeat over and then suddenly that’s it, I will go off something and never want it again. 
    I got obsessed by asparagus and would have it like five times a week at least, and now the thought of asparagus gives me the heeby jeebys! 

• Yes, depending on which restaurants you used they often use various colourings / additives which you won’t use at home.

• I daily eat food from restaurants which caused stomach problem, but now i eat only home made food and i am fine now.

• I think it is an autism thing. Personally I eat the same things for 2 reasons. Nobody ever gives me cooking lessons, so the things I can cook are limited, so I eat the same thing for a while and then when I get fed up with that I move onto something else. Otherwise I get fed up with everything all at the same time and I don't know what to eat. And because it saves time choosing when I buy food if I just buy the same food the majority of the time.

As far as I know I have a balanced, reasonably healthy diet. It's just not a varied diet.

• I like food! Any chance of you making something for me?

• Sensitive topic for me.

Since I got an air fryer as a present last Christmas, I've had chicken wings around 5 days a week.  A very bad habit and restricted diet.  Disappointed relieved

• I have a really broad spectrum of foods I can and will eat, but I get stuck in a hyper fixation for a period usually of weeks or months. The most recent one was chicken pie with gravy and also tuna pate on toast. So I'd just eat those things for days/weeks, etc. 

Prior to that was wraps, so i'd eat maybe halloumi or chicken and salad in a wrap, but everything was in a wrap. Where I live there is no fast food or take aways, but I think if I had that near by I would probably never cook. 

• I tend to go that way just from anxiety. If I feel like I can eat cheese on toast and be okay, that part of me in the back of my head says that maybe if I have peanut butter on toast it could be a disaster. 

I try pretty hard to mix things up at least a little because the more you get in the habit of doing the same thing, the harder it gets to break out. And the harder it is to deal if you suddenly can't have what you always do. 

• I make and bake, don't worry! Joy

Usually not for myself though..

• Now Pegg, I'd got the impression from the forum that you were an all round keen cook and baker of  a scrumptiously large number of exceptionaly fine cakes.

Please don't shatter that image.

Ben

• I eat the same things a lot of the time. My whole dietary repertoire is quite limited. 

I've always been the same! 

I'm quite interested in food - it's just a fairly narrow interest! Slight smile

• Or is it that you are so deeply interested in other things that you don’t have the time or the room to think about food and just eat something for the sake of eating something?

Hmmm, you may be right there, I don't find cooking interesting.

I do vary my diet a little sometimes, especially in the depths of winter when  I  make a reasonble nutroast which feeds me for three days, but the preparation is indeed onerous.

Ben

• Or is it that you are so deeply interested in other things that you don’t have the time or the room to think about food and just eat something for the sake of eating something?

(The only other person where I have come across this was a Jewish Rabbi and he was so involved in his life as a Rabbi that he thought little about what he was eating even when it made him quite ill)

if you are not already doing it and if you do nothing else it might be a good idea to take a multi-vitamin tablet every day just to make sure you are getting the vitamins you need. As they say prevention is better than cure.