In tears at NAS

I am so upset, 

I am in a terrible situation, I live in a flat and next door are drug sellers (and users) they have had knives in the close, they have thrown a metal crutch out of the window and they are always loitering in the close. 

I have called police on lots of occasions: the neighbours are arrested and kept in jail for up to a week or so and then are let free. I have complained over five years to the housing, I cant get out my flat much due to them as they are intimidating and horrible. Sometimes there are lots of men in the close. my housing wont help. 

I attended a NAS meeting near me once, and could not get to other meetings due to the neighbours behaviours. There is a housing I could get if I proved that I attended support NAS meetings by getting a letter from NAS but it is a catch 22 NAS will not give me the letter unless I attend more meetings. 

I told the lady at nas that i had been abused once by a man years ago and that I cant go private rent as I have visual stress and need to decorate in a nice way. She was very cold and ended up ghosting me. She did not even say she was sorry to hear about everything I was going through and I feel I was tossed aside by her. I felt that they did not know how to converse with autistic people. 

[Image removed by moderation team as it identified another person] 

• Need a support group in my town and talk about the struggles have daily. Plus want to have more awareness.

• I had a nervous breakdown in 2015 when I was exhausted.

I emailed NAS and got a good response asking if I could take this further, here are some details of organisations that could help me. Finding people don't listen to me anymore. I had this idea and said no to me. Feeling sad. Enjoy my volunteering and next month it's the summer break. 

• thank you Sharon mod. Let's hope you can do something.

• Hi Rose

I am sorry to hear that you have been having such a difficult time. I understand that you felt let down by the interaction you had with someone linked to the NAS. You may want to visit our Tell us what you think page for ways to contact us, so that your concern will be logged, acknowledged and responded to in line with the NAS Complaints Resolution Policy & Procedure. 

We have edited your post to remove the image which clearly identified another person. This is against rule 2: "This Community forum is public, so do not post personal or identifying details." 

You may wish to seek support from an advocate- there are details of some local advocacy services in our Autism Services Directory or you can search for ‘[name of local authority] + advocacy’ using a search engine.

You may also find our web page on criminal justice helpful. 

Best wishes

Sharon Mod

• Thanks. this clarifies things. So just a few words from the right person gets an accommodation (literally) for a new place?  Can you write this all down and perhaps get a neighbor to corroborate? Perhaps all you need is evidence? I am not sure what else could prevent you from receiving this. Can yo uexplain a bit more about t your experience with NAS around this?

ALso in teh mean time I would go to the police, not call them got to them and explain what is happening in your building. They may also ask for proof, but file the report anyway. Take this to your landlord. And let them know what afoot in your building. They may not be aware and if they are ignoring it that is valuable info too.

• My heart goes out to you Rose.

It's going back more than two decades, but I used to live in a block of council maisonettes where there were similar issues. Accessing my maisonette involved the use of a communal stairway, which was littered with used syringes, plus human excrement that was smeared on the walls. It definitely wasn't the kind of environment that I wanted to be raising my young son in.

I feel disappointed for you that the response you received from NAS wasn't particularly helpful. You say you have complained to the police, but have you tried involving your local MP or councillors?

• I hope it all gets sorted out soon for you, it's an intolerable position to be in.

• Hi there, all good advice. I contacted the MP and they wrote to the housing who told the MP they are basically telling the neighbours off, but have not did anything about it. MP seems to not be able to do anything else. I have police crime numbers and the police contact the housing continuously to report crimes that the neighbours have did, I am not the only one reporting to the police, and often the police are going to their flat for something they have did out side of the flat, drug dealing, or steeling, fights etc. CAB just tell me the same info you did. Someone is contacting the main NAS so hopefully that will see a better result. 

• I shouldn't be surprised at the help you're not getting, but I am, I know I didn't have much help or support from the local autistic group, but I dont' think they're part of NAS, will your local NAS group do video meetings? Can you ask the police to back you up about the number of times they've been called to your block and the crimes they're being called to attend? I would suggest you seek the help of your MP, but that all a bit up in the air until the 4th of July. What about CAB can they help?

What about the national NAS will they not help and talk to your local branch?

• sorry to hear you have gone through similar.

• answers to your questions: 

I do live alone.

age I never tell my age

She is my mother and lives in another part of the city, I cannot live with her as she is also in a small studio flat - no room for me. 

I am trying to get a home elsewhere and needed help from NAS a simple letter just a few lines was all that was needed. 

The man next door and his associates are drug sellers and it is very dangerous. I live on the top floor and need to pass them to get out of my flat. It is a small block of 9 studio flats in my city. 

• So

So many things to know to be able to help that I don't know.

What I want to know

You do not live alone, right?

who do you live with and can you get any support from them?

what is your relationship with this other flatmate, if you have one?

How old are you?

Your mother was mentioned in the texs above, what is your relation to her?

What I know:

Your neighbors are not going to change or go away.

You will have to do the changing.

Your story is more common than you think, both past and present.

Living next door to PTSD triggers = run away now!

Most all who have lived your story will tell you that the only way out is to to just leave, run, now!.

Where you go is a to be determined.

I would need more info to help you find the right direction.

So far your answers are panic driven, and I get that, but you need to think like a warrior now.

I will not tell you how much your situation mirrors my own as it is not what you need to hear right now, even if it is true.

• I do hope that you can settle yourself, and be part of this community in a caring and nice way, and that you should stop this and be kind to others. You deserve to be happy in a nice way, whatever has happened to you in the past I sympathise with you. I sympathise that it has lead you to be so unkind to others and to take on different usernames. You deserve to be calm and happy and be friendly with everyone. I wish you well, I recommend you seek counselling to help you see what you are doing is wrong and to help you build a better happier you. You deserve to be happy. I do hope that you calm down. okay.

• Not sure, Mr T. but one thing I can confirm is that the OP message is not a scam. I can't say how I know that, but hopefully I'm trusted enough by most on here to be believed when I say that her report of the above treatment is not faked or exaggerated. Most unfortunate and can hopefully be resolved with a touch more class and humanity (which to be fair is way more typical of NAS' usual good conduct and spirit of true advocacy). 

• Most people on here are nice. It is sadly like all social media you get someone who bullies etc, but I feel sympathy for them as they might have a mental health condition. bet to ignore them and focus on those that are supporting each other on here. :-) 

• what pleasure do these kind of people get from this. I come here for support, understanding and to share my limited knowledge. Make me not want to bother.

• agree and that is what we need in this world - more kindness :-) 

• This person named as Tumbleweed takes different names apparently. They have a username and then re-join after a while with another username so that they can be rude or bully people.

• OP means original poster. What is she going to get of any of us here? Maybe a few kinds words!

• Warned ?
    I am new.
    I don't think so.