Pets

I live on my own. 

I'm considering getting a pet. I know that it's a responsibility, but I crave connection. 

Have any of you found getting a pet helpful ?

• my cats are crazy  tornado she is the crazyest

• I have a dog and the responsibilities are a lot, and I don't live alone and get help taking care of her but it still has been difficult at times. I used to get burnt out when I got her out for walks (though now, we've moved houses and have a big garden and she can go outside without me doing much so it's better now.) Also, she can be loud and might get dirty and all of that can cause sensory issues so be aware.

When it comes to connection, for me she's a great joy but it's short term and I wouldn't really say I'm connecting much, I think her existence in my life has made it better sure, it's just not what I would recommend to people personally, like sure she has helped me get out of my depression ruts but she has also caused burn outs and worries and headaches, to me the idea of pets being good for mental health doesn't ring true. My dog is just like a person, so imperfect and at times annoying. 

• Maybe your pet frog?

• I want a cat called Garfield!!

• Volunteer at the animal shelter for a few weeks and see how you feel afterwards.

• As Guinea Pigs are involved in scientific research all the time. I can only assume their general arithmetical ability is above par.

• I get really depressed if I don't have animals in my life, even if its a bird feeder stuck on a window, I had one when I was in halls at uni, the blue *** would come and knock on the window when it was empty.

Now I have two cats and a dog, my dog is like a social credential, when we're out we meet loads of people and we talk about dogs, it's easy conversation with fewer oportunities for awkwardness. My cats are great, I love it when they both cuddle up with me at night I feel like I've entered "the purr", it's all encompassing and relaxing and gives me an insight into their world.

I find that having a dog makes me get up and go out, I go places because of her, I love to see her happy and bouncing around the place, it's good for me physically and emotionally. I can walk off lots of aches, pains, have some deep time in my head thinking and I just feel better.

• Living alone can sometimes feel lonely, so I totally get why you're considering getting a pet. Having a companion like a lovely bird can bring so much joy and companionship into your life. Personally, I've found having a pet to be incredibly helpful in combating feelings of loneliness and providing a sense of connection. It's rewarding to have a furry or feathered friend to come home to and share moments with.
    I recently got myself a hamster and have been exploring articles on hamster care. If you're interested, you might find this link helpful: https://hamsternow.com. Having a pet can definitely be a wonderful experience, so I say go for it and enjoy the companionship

• I have a cat which is great as he like to be left alone as much as I do. But on occassio  he likes to be near me which is a gift tk me as he doesn't talk just purrs. It's oddly calming and makes me feel a little normal! 

• I could not have a pet where I lived so I began cultivating dwarf figs trees, (fignominal variety) which can thrive inn pots. They have a lot of personality and give off smells to communicate their moods. Once My fig gave off a stinky warding off smell when a nefarious person came near the front door.

• I'm feeling really sad. I'm worried that I will be on my own for the rest of my life. 

I think indoor Guinea pigs would be company for me, but at the same I'm worried that I won't be able to cope with the noise. They would be in an open plan lounge/kitchen. 

If they stressed me out, I'd end up living in my bedroom Sleepy

• I had a pet fly last summer.
    Still don't know where it went.

• Pets are good motivators with things like getting out of bed and going outside. Slight smile

• Definatly! I got my first dog when i was 50. I was on my own and she is my life. She gets me out of bed. She is looking at me now as i write this. I have met so many nice people because of her. I dont want to talk to people sometimes, but when i am out with her i make connections. The benefits definatly outweigh the responsibilty it brings. I dont think i would be here if i didnt gave her. She makes me laugh, i talk to her, the affection we have is lovely. I often dont feel like going out but i have to and i am thankful for that x

• Definitely! They are the best company and very loving and always excited to see you.

This is my cat Ruby. Yellow heart 

• I will consider it all. I'm much more likely to talk myself out of it, because I overthink so much.