Pets

I live on my own. 

I'm considering getting a pet. I know that it's a responsibility, but I crave connection. 

Have any of you found getting a pet helpful ?

Parents
  • I have a dog and the responsibilities are a lot, and I don't live alone and get help taking care of her but it still has been difficult at times. I used to get burnt out when I got her out for walks (though now, we've moved houses and have a big garden and she can go outside without me doing much so it's better now.) Also, she can be loud and might get dirty and all of that can cause sensory issues so be aware.

When it comes to connection, for me she's a great joy but it's short term and I wouldn't really say I'm connecting much, I think her existence in my life has made it better sure, it's just not what I would recommend to people personally, like sure she has helped me get out of my depression ruts but she has also caused burn outs and worries and headaches, to me the idea of pets being good for mental health doesn't ring true. My dog is just like a person, so imperfect and at times annoying. 

• I have a dog and the responsibilities are a lot, and I don't live alone and get help taking care of her but it still has been difficult at times. I used to get burnt out when I got her out for walks (though now, we've moved houses and have a big garden and she can go outside without me doing much so it's better now.) Also, she can be loud and might get dirty and all of that can cause sensory issues so be aware.

When it comes to connection, for me she's a great joy but it's short term and I wouldn't really say I'm connecting much, I think her existence in my life has made it better sure, it's just not what I would recommend to people personally, like sure she has helped me get out of my depression ruts but she has also caused burn outs and worries and headaches, to me the idea of pets being good for mental health doesn't ring true. My dog is just like a person, so imperfect and at times annoying. 

Children
No Data