Pets

I live on my own. 

I'm considering getting a pet. I know that it's a responsibility, but I crave connection. 

Have any of you found getting a pet helpful ?

Parents
  • I had outdoor guinea pigs who were in a hutch just outside the back door and they used to squeak when they heard me come in. I used to hold them on my lap occasionally, but a lot of time they liked to be together in the hutch. ( I had two). They needed an area where they could hide and liked to burrow under the hay, especially when we could get the long field hay. Apart from dry food I gave them things like cabbage, sprout and the end of cucumber. When we went to a pick your own and picked carrots they loved the carrot tops. When I went to feed them they would come out of their sleeping area making excited noises.

I don't know about keeping indoor guinea pigs, but I can recommend them as pets.

• I had outdoor guinea pigs who were in a hutch just outside the back door and they used to squeak when they heard me come in. I used to hold them on my lap occasionally, but a lot of time they liked to be together in the hutch. ( I had two). They needed an area where they could hide and liked to burrow under the hay, especially when we could get the long field hay. Apart from dry food I gave them things like cabbage, sprout and the end of cucumber. When we went to a pick your own and picked carrots they loved the carrot tops. When I went to feed them they would come out of their sleeping area making excited noises.

I don't know about keeping indoor guinea pigs, but I can recommend them as pets.

Children
  • I'm feeling really sad. I'm worried that I will be on my own for the rest of my life. 

I think indoor Guinea pigs would be company for me, but at the same I'm worried that I won't be able to cope with the noise. They would be in an open plan lounge/kitchen. 

If they stressed me out, I'd end up living in my bedroom Sleepy