Those of you who work...

I'm interested to know how many of the working autistic population (on here at least) work full time. I changed to working part time 4 years ago, pre-diagnosis, because I kept burning out (normal in the job I was doing so didn't attribute it to autism until I was diagnosed and looked back). Now I'm looking at my career prospects post-diagnosis as in many ways I feel more confident in myself since I know I'm not just "lacking resilience" (anyone else had that thrown at them?). 

I just don't know if considering working full time again is truly realistic. Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

• good job, you can manage the time the way you like and to suit your routines, I miss days when I was working alone

• Hi I started my current job 5 years ago soon got to much for me so after an augment with my manager I work 4 day a week, I drive a hgv so still lost of hours but will do extra shift when i can. the job means i am by my self most of the time which helps. self care is important will have a sleep most day on my brake and will space my holidays out so i can have time off every 2 to 3 months. All so no the first day off i am pretty beat so i do very little but rest. There are work rounds good luck.

• I managed to stay longer than 2 years in 1 job only, and every one was different than one before, I did for one reason only, waiting for a position in Head Office to open, hoping that my manager will give me a good referal, but it turns out after they called her, I have never heard from them any response ever again.

• I work part time now and it pays well enough but the progression options are limited, and I personally find that boring at this moment in my life. I don't want to do the same job for another 30 years (I am 32 now).

• depends on job really and your body i guess...

i used to get office jobs, they were boring and soul sucking and the time dragged and you felt like you was getting fat and getting sores on your behind with sitting all day on really bad chairs. job i have now is warehouse job thats fast paced and active and engaging and time goes fast and its very easy and repetitive perfect really, but a bit physical and the person i was ages ago probably wouldnt have liked it and would have left it by now, but i changed myself alot over time and improved myself and built my body stronger and probably my willpower a bit too so it gave me the ability to do the job. used to always be a bit of a quitter that quits out on everything fast, forcing myself through kung fu changed me as i wanted to quit that but forced myself through it. guess it just takes personal development.

but different for different people, different people different issues to work around and develope through, but you can always develope as a person, think of it like a anime or a rpg, the char is always weak at first or has some issue, but then character development comes into play and they blow past the issue or develope a way around it. there is always a way to develope like this irl. for me that was forcing myself through harsh physical martial art and fitness, that was hard work.... this job most people would consider hard work, but to me this isnt as hard as my kung fu was that pushed me over my limits, although that still took me to mentally have to squash and ignore my urge to quit, but now i had the extremes of physicality nothing is hard for me and so the urge to quit doesnt even come into play anymore as i know worse.

as for full time, that depends on another thing, your budget... most people cant run a household off part time pay. it all depends what you can get by on. so full time is usually a thing you need due to life costs. but if you can get a part time that covers life costs then yeah probs good to go for and be good work/life ballance where as full time is pretty badly balanced in my opinion.

• Yes that's the origination of the phrase. dark wool was undyeable and therefore not as valuable as lighter wool.

Had I the resources I would fund a wool business resurrection in our post-brexit nation.

• Hmm that might be an interpretation but it doesn't originate from that, at least that I'm aware of. Flocks of sheep often have a random black sheep and in the wool business they are of low value because black yarn cannot be easily dyed other colours.

Funnily enough, I'm a knitter and crocheter and farmers make hardly any money from wool at all these days, black or white. It isn't valued the way it should be, which is a shame as wool is a very versatile fibre. 

• I've not seen that phrase for sometime so I looked into it, interesting reading.

https://www.rd.com/list/everyday-expressions-that-are-racist/

• I'm the only educated member of my family so I don't have useful role models either. I'm basically the black sheep! 

• ISFJ - defender

One of the jobs it tells me to do is my actual job so I guess that's at least accurate!!! 

• I work full-time but I'm prone to burning out, but I've learned to befriend the coworkers and the management, so they remind me to slow down and take breaks and things like that, so they're fortunately very understanding and caring. I mean I have health issues that drain all my energy at times, but I'm grateful that work is also understanding of those issues as well. 

However, there's been many other workplaces I've worked that have hostile and punishing staff and fearful workers, which I always thought that it's how work should be like growing up (my family was quite hostile people), and I was absolutely terrified of working that I'd get panic attacks. But I've learned over time that this kind of environment is deemed toxic by other people (although my family would not think so, because they're just as toxic if not more) and I learned that I don't have to stay working at those kinds of places, and that I can leave. 

I want to use the skills and knowledge I gained from work, to potentially have some kind of self-employed business, or small business, and even though I never grew up with the mindset that I could do or be anything valuable, I just want to challenge that notion and see what this single human being is capable of doing in a lifetime. 

• I'm an artist and tattooist.

Not always easy, but it does give me a lot of flexibility. I realised a long time ago that I didn't really want a regular job.

I did look for jobs a few years ago because I needed a change, but the job market was so confusing. It seemed to be lots of long hours and low pay, jobs requiring a ridiculous list of skills, simple jobs requiring previous experience etc. The largest issue for me was having to be a team player, and performance based work. Not for me, thank you.

I'd actually like to retrain, to be able to help people more, but I'm not really a people person Slight smile

• What industry do you work in? 

• I learned to drive when I got my first job as a social worker because it was a requirement of keeping my contract, but I don't really care for driving at all and try to avoid it outside of work.

• Before I became a social worker I changed jobs very frequently. I had never had a job that had lasted more than a year, and a lot of the jobs didn't relate to each other in any way. 

• I work full time but have been fired many, many times due to burn out.  I also have ADHD and am finally taking meds for that and it has helped tremendously.  My work choices are limited because I can't drive and have to work from home, so switching careers isn't an option for me, though I do love what I do most of the time.  

• I work full time, or even more last year, but it is just another in a series of jobs, since I came to UK I have never been unemployed.

I have few qualifications but none with experience, and I can't find work that would be a begining of a career.

Despite multiple requests in this and previous job I couldn't get to work less hours

• I'm self-employed so I can choose what work I do and how often.

I've done everything from 6 days a week to 1 day a week. The 6 days was rare, 4-5 was common when I was younger and had the energy, but it eventually burnt me out. I think 3 days a week is best.

For various reasons, I currently work 2 days a week and I like it. An extra day would be nice but my energy and motivation would drain away pretty quickly.

This week I've worked 1 day probably for a total of 3 hours. I won't be back at work for another week. Bliss. But I charge a lot of money, so the minimal amount of work is just enough to get by, but only just.