Those of you who work...

I'm interested to know how many of the working autistic population (on here at least) work full time. I changed to working part time 4 years ago, pre-diagnosis, because I kept burning out (normal in the job I was doing so didn't attribute it to autism until I was diagnosed and looked back). Now I'm looking at my career prospects post-diagnosis as in many ways I feel more confident in myself since I know I'm not just "lacking resilience" (anyone else had that thrown at them?). 

I just don't know if considering working full time again is truly realistic. Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

Parents
  • depends on job really and your body i guess...

i used to get office jobs, they were boring and soul sucking and the time dragged and you felt like you was getting fat and getting sores on your behind with sitting all day on really bad chairs. job i have now is warehouse job thats fast paced and active and engaging and time goes fast and its very easy and repetitive perfect really, but a bit physical and the person i was ages ago probably wouldnt have liked it and would have left it by now, but i changed myself alot over time and improved myself and built my body stronger and probably my willpower a bit too so it gave me the ability to do the job. used to always be a bit of a quitter that quits out on everything fast, forcing myself through kung fu changed me as i wanted to quit that but forced myself through it. guess it just takes personal development.

but different for different people, different people different issues to work around and develope through, but you can always develope as a person, think of it like a anime or a rpg, the char is always weak at first or has some issue, but then character development comes into play and they blow past the issue or develope a way around it. there is always a way to develope like this irl. for me that was forcing myself through harsh physical martial art and fitness, that was hard work.... this job most people would consider hard work, but to me this isnt as hard as my kung fu was that pushed me over my limits, although that still took me to mentally have to squash and ignore my urge to quit, but now i had the extremes of physicality nothing is hard for me and so the urge to quit doesnt even come into play anymore as i know worse.

as for full time, that depends on another thing, your budget... most people cant run a household off part time pay. it all depends what you can get by on. so full time is usually a thing you need due to life costs. but if you can get a part time that covers life costs then yeah probs good to go for and be good work/life ballance where as full time is pretty badly balanced in my opinion.

• I work part time now and it pays well enough but the progression options are limited, and I personally find that boring at this moment in my life. I don't want to do the same job for another 30 years (I am 32 now).

• I managed to stay longer than 2 years in 1 job only, and every one was different than one before, I did for one reason only, waiting for a position in Head Office to open, hoping that my manager will give me a good referal, but it turns out after they called her, I have never heard from them any response ever again.

• I managed to stay longer than 2 years in 1 job only, and every one was different than one before, I did for one reason only, waiting for a position in Head Office to open, hoping that my manager will give me a good referal, but it turns out after they called her, I have never heard from them any response ever again.

Children
No Data