Those of you who work...

I'm interested to know how many of the working autistic population (on here at least) work full time. I changed to working part time 4 years ago, pre-diagnosis, because I kept burning out (normal in the job I was doing so didn't attribute it to autism until I was diagnosed and looked back). Now I'm looking at my career prospects post-diagnosis as in many ways I feel more confident in myself since I know I'm not just "lacking resilience" (anyone else had that thrown at them?). 

I just don't know if considering working full time again is truly realistic. Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

Parents
  • I'm self-employed so I can choose what work I do and how often.

I've done everything from 6 days a week to 1 day a week. The 6 days was rare, 4-5 was common when I was younger and had the energy, but it eventually burnt me out. I think 3 days a week is best.

For various reasons, I currently work 2 days a week and I like it. An extra day would be nice but my energy and motivation would drain away pretty quickly.

This week I've worked 1 day probably for a total of 3 hours. I won't be back at work for another week. Bliss. But I charge a lot of money, so the minimal amount of work is just enough to get by, but only just.

• What industry do you work in? 

• I'm an artist and tattooist.

Not always easy, but it does give me a lot of flexibility. I realised a long time ago that I didn't really want a regular job.

I did look for jobs a few years ago because I needed a change, but the job market was so confusing. It seemed to be lots of long hours and low pay, jobs requiring a ridiculous list of skills, simple jobs requiring previous experience etc. The largest issue for me was having to be a team player, and performance based work. Not for me, thank you.

I'd actually like to retrain, to be able to help people more, but I'm not really a people person Slight smile

• I'm an artist and tattooist.

Not always easy, but it does give me a lot of flexibility. I realised a long time ago that I didn't really want a regular job.

I did look for jobs a few years ago because I needed a change, but the job market was so confusing. It seemed to be lots of long hours and low pay, jobs requiring a ridiculous list of skills, simple jobs requiring previous experience etc. The largest issue for me was having to be a team player, and performance based work. Not for me, thank you.

I'd actually like to retrain, to be able to help people more, but I'm not really a people person Slight smile

Children
No Data