Those of you who work...

I'm interested to know how many of the working autistic population (on here at least) work full time. I changed to working part time 4 years ago, pre-diagnosis, because I kept burning out (normal in the job I was doing so didn't attribute it to autism until I was diagnosed and looked back). Now I'm looking at my career prospects post-diagnosis as in many ways I feel more confident in myself since I know I'm not just "lacking resilience" (anyone else had that thrown at them?). 

I just don't know if considering working full time again is truly realistic. Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

Parents
  • I work full-time but I'm prone to burning out, but I've learned to befriend the coworkers and the management, so they remind me to slow down and take breaks and things like that, so they're fortunately very understanding and caring. I mean I have health issues that drain all my energy at times, but I'm grateful that work is also understanding of those issues as well. 

However, there's been many other workplaces I've worked that have hostile and punishing staff and fearful workers, which I always thought that it's how work should be like growing up (my family was quite hostile people), and I was absolutely terrified of working that I'd get panic attacks. But I've learned over time that this kind of environment is deemed toxic by other people (although my family would not think so, because they're just as toxic if not more) and I learned that I don't have to stay working at those kinds of places, and that I can leave. 

I want to use the skills and knowledge I gained from work, to potentially have some kind of self-employed business, or small business, and even though I never grew up with the mindset that I could do or be anything valuable, I just want to challenge that notion and see what this single human being is capable of doing in a lifetime. 

• I'm the only educated member of my family so I don't have useful role models either. I'm basically the black sheep! 

• I've not seen that phrase for sometime so I looked into it, interesting reading.

https://www.rd.com/list/everyday-expressions-that-are-racist/

• Yes that's the origination of the phrase. dark wool was undyeable and therefore not as valuable as lighter wool.

Had I the resources I would fund a wool business resurrection in our post-brexit nation.

• Hmm that might be an interpretation but it doesn't originate from that, at least that I'm aware of. Flocks of sheep often have a random black sheep and in the wool business they are of low value because black yarn cannot be easily dyed other colours.

Funnily enough, I'm a knitter and crocheter and farmers make hardly any money from wool at all these days, black or white. It isn't valued the way it should be, which is a shame as wool is a very versatile fibre. 

• Hmm that might be an interpretation but it doesn't originate from that, at least that I'm aware of. Flocks of sheep often have a random black sheep and in the wool business they are of low value because black yarn cannot be easily dyed other colours.

Funnily enough, I'm a knitter and crocheter and farmers make hardly any money from wool at all these days, black or white. It isn't valued the way it should be, which is a shame as wool is a very versatile fibre. 

Children