This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dentist

Hello my name is Simon I have been diagnosed with autism recently and I am thinking about going to the dentist soon but I have a ginormous fear of the dentist I haven’t been since I was at school I have a bad tooth it’s got a big cavity and it’s black inside it doesn’t hurt and I brush my teeth 2 times a day and use mouthwash but I know I can’t put it of forever.

does anyone have any advice should I mention that I’m autistic would that help?

• Thanks for the information.

• The doctor will prescribe valium if you ask.  Thats if you are willing to take it, it does help

• It might be worth asking your standard dentist to refer you to the Special Care Dental Services.

It was my medical phobias - and in particular dental treatment which lead to my discovery that I was autistic, in fact.

Special Care Dentists are experienced in dealing with all sorts of problems, from simple anxiety about dentists, to people with physical or learning disabilities, complex mental health issues and autism. They are very kind and patient. If necessary, they'd even do it under a general anesthetic for you, if it's the only way to get you through it.

They ought to know how to deal with both the anxiety about dentists and any sensory problems with the experience due to the autism.

They do have waiting lists. It's going to depend how urgent the problem is, as to whether your dentist can get you onto their books quickly enough to deal with your current problem. Hopefully, once you get a referral to them, they'll keep you as a permanent patient as they have with me.

Oh, just noticed this post is a year old. Hope that's still useful to some one.

• The fear of dentists is inherent to most people, no matter they have autism or not. Are you scared of "big drilling machines"? Forget it, we are living in 21 century. Professional dental clinics, such as [removed by Mod] provide everything to make the surgery as comfy as possible. If even the dentist uses drilling, it will be under good pain relievers, so you won't feel anything. Believe me, you don't want to wait until your teeth cause hellish pain. None of the drilling machines is even close to that feeling.

[edited by Suzanne Mod]

• There are a lot of things you can do with teeth. Sometimes you have to have them removed. Sometimes they have to be replaced or repaired, or cleaned. And sometimes, you can get a new set of teeth implanted in your mouth. But none of the things you can do with teeth is something you want to do for yourself. The reason is that what you want from your teeth depends on where they are in your mouth. I follow all the advice I got from the experts that work at [link deleted by moderator]. They have treated me better than anyone else.

• The Dentist was NEVER an issue for me. However, I changed Dentist after I moved to Praxis accommodation in Magherafelt; which was my first exposure to a Hygienist. I do get the odd sore bits, but I'm a big boy now. Slight smile I can handle it well.

But, I have to pay for my appointments as I don't qualify for means-tested benefits. However, I'm still keeping the ship afloat.

• I know there’s sugar in almost everything and I am definitely addicted to sugary drinks and food cutting back a lot in the past year for instance I used to consume 4-6 cans of regular Pepsi now I never have more than one a day and sometimes go days without any I drink mostly water and I feel a lot better for it.

• I actually regard dentists as healers (at least good ones), so try to look upon dentists as good people who just want to relieve suffering. But they are not gods and can't do their work without causing some discomfort. The real thing that causes dental problems is the stuff we are all brought up to eat that contains far too much sugar. But this is kind of society we live in...

• Hello Bumblebee Hopefully I can find a dentist like yours Fingers crossed

• I am waiting to have my assessment for a diagnosis, but for as long as I can remember I had what I would say is an unreasonable phobia of the dentist and took years to go back, similar to you. I had never had any trauma or felt like I had a reason to be scared yet I was a mess whenever I went to the dentist. I went years without going but knew before i turned 18 i should get the work done before it would cost me on top. I was able to get referred to be sedated through the level of fear I had, I would cry my eyes out just having a check up and couldn't understand it I am pretty good with pain and other procedures but the dentist is a whole different story! 

I had a really bad experience and woke up during treatment! Major panic attack followed and of course intensified the fear! I had to go back to my dentist as they didn't get to finish fully where I had woke up and was in a complete state. It took me 2 years to go back for that and it was only because the pain had got too much I had no choice. I knew I had to brave it because it was one thing paying for dental treatment but to pay to be sedated and to risk repeating what happened last time was another thing!

My dentist was amazing with me, I cried the moment I got in the room and explained what had happened and how scared I was. She got me to put my headphones in, play music and talked me through every step. She would give me a signal to take out an earphone and reassured me at every point. I was still a mess in this appointment and squeezed the hell out of my trousers but she got me through it. 

After a few visits I got better and was able to get out of an appointment without crying! I still find i get very sweaty and only release the grip of my trousers mid way through when I realise I am okay and have calmed down a bit. I always take something to listen to and it helps that my dentist talks me through everything from sounds to what I will feel. 

Now I know why I struggled with the dentist as much as I did and I think I will always struggle with it but having my appointment like this makes it bearable. Maybe my dentist recognised aspects of my fears and her suggestions were brilliant, you don't necessarily need to mention your diagnosis unless you feel like your dentist isn't very understanding of your fears. 

• Thanks I’m definitely going to go just plucking up the courage I think it’s a long waiting list unless I go private don’t know if I can afford that at the moment.

• Simon, the only thing I can think of that might be comforting to you is the great feeling of relief you feel after you come out of the dentist. I'm not going to pretend it's a pleasant experience but it's really not that bad compared to other things such as being in continuous pain for days. Isn't it worth putting up with 1/2 an hour or so of discomfort to be out of bad pain? I think it is. Simon, ask yourself what's the worse that can happen? I've been to the dentist many times over my lifetime and I still came out of it okay without any terrible effects.

• Hi Former Member,

I'm sorry to hear that you are worried about going to the dentist. you may like to have a look at the following information for autistic adults from the NAS website about visiting the dentist:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/physical-health/going-to-the-dentist

I hope this helps,

ChloeMod.