This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dentist

Hello my name is Simon I have been diagnosed with autism recently and I am thinking about going to the dentist soon but I have a ginormous fear of the dentist I haven’t been since I was at school I have a bad tooth it’s got a big cavity and it’s black inside it doesn’t hurt and I brush my teeth 2 times a day and use mouthwash but I know I can’t put it of forever.

does anyone have any advice should I mention that I’m autistic would that help?

Parents
  • I am waiting to have my assessment for a diagnosis, but for as long as I can remember I had what I would say is an unreasonable phobia of the dentist and took years to go back, similar to you. I had never had any trauma or felt like I had a reason to be scared yet I was a mess whenever I went to the dentist. I went years without going but knew before i turned 18 i should get the work done before it would cost me on top. I was able to get referred to be sedated through the level of fear I had, I would cry my eyes out just having a check up and couldn't understand it I am pretty good with pain and other procedures but the dentist is a whole different story! 

I had a really bad experience and woke up during treatment! Major panic attack followed and of course intensified the fear! I had to go back to my dentist as they didn't get to finish fully where I had woke up and was in a complete state. It took me 2 years to go back for that and it was only because the pain had got too much I had no choice. I knew I had to brave it because it was one thing paying for dental treatment but to pay to be sedated and to risk repeating what happened last time was another thing!

My dentist was amazing with me, I cried the moment I got in the room and explained what had happened and how scared I was. She got me to put my headphones in, play music and talked me through every step. She would give me a signal to take out an earphone and reassured me at every point. I was still a mess in this appointment and squeezed the hell out of my trousers but she got me through it. 

After a few visits I got better and was able to get out of an appointment without crying! I still find i get very sweaty and only release the grip of my trousers mid way through when I realise I am okay and have calmed down a bit. I always take something to listen to and it helps that my dentist talks me through everything from sounds to what I will feel. 

Now I know why I struggled with the dentist as much as I did and I think I will always struggle with it but having my appointment like this makes it bearable. Maybe my dentist recognised aspects of my fears and her suggestions were brilliant, you don't necessarily need to mention your diagnosis unless you feel like your dentist isn't very understanding of your fears. 

• Hello Bumblebee Hopefully I can find a dentist like yours Fingers crossed

Reply Children
  • I know there’s sugar in almost everything and I am definitely addicted to sugary drinks and food cutting back a lot in the past year for instance I used to consume 4-6 cans of regular Pepsi now I never have more than one a day and sometimes go days without any I drink mostly water and I feel a lot better for it.

• I actually regard dentists as healers (at least good ones), so try to look upon dentists as good people who just want to relieve suffering. But they are not gods and can't do their work without causing some discomfort. The real thing that causes dental problems is the stuff we are all brought up to eat that contains far too much sugar. But this is kind of society we live in...