Anyone interested in motorbikes?

I'm fairly new here and newly diagnosed with ASD. Anyway, motorbikes are one of my interests, and, well, it might be a long shot,  I was wondering if anyone else here is into them too. I don't know anyone else IRL who shares this enthusiasm. It'd be nice to hear from anyone else who is interested.

• I have been interested in motorcycles since early childhood. I love Harley Davidson, this is the best motorcycle for me.

• Unfortunately I don't know what the rules are with epilepsy so it may be necessary to see if he can ride legally?

I used to ride a motorbike. It's important to have some power as it can help him to get out of dangerous situations if he needs to. Scooters are the easiest, they are often called a twist and go and are exactly that. Motorbikes take a little more getting used to as they require a combination of foot and hand coordination. It took me a while but I managed. I also preferred the bike to the scooter.

For motorcycles you'd be looking at about 125cc's. Gear includes Helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and trousers. It racks up but worth spending the money to start with. Focus the money on the Helmet. Never buy one second hand and purchase from a shop so he can try it on and the staff can help ensure it fits correctly.

He can do a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training). It will involve a day of theory and rider training, first in a safe place, like a carpark, than out on the road under supervision of an instructor. It assumes some knowledge of the road so it's worth him being aware of the road rules. Perhaps, talk about the road as your both in the car, driving together?

By doing the CBT, he would get an idea of if he really wanted to ride or not as some people find that once you have to deal with the gear, and the traffic, plus the rain which gets in everywhere, and generally trying to handle the bike, it loses it's appeal. If he struggles with the CBT, it shouldn't discourage him as it can be daunting. But he should listen to the advice of the instructor. They are all experts and can see where the issues are. The instructor will not allow him to go on the road if he doesn't think he's ready for it.

My very first CBT, I got so stressed that my instructor decided to stop where we were and pick it up the following week. They won't all do that, but the break for me meant that I was able to go out on the road the next time, more confident and having had the chance to take in the information. I passed.

• Hi

I know this is an old post but I stumbled across this and Im wondered if anyone can help. My son is 23 and he absolutely loves loves motorcycles and all he wants to do is own a motorcycle and ride a motorcycle but he has autism and epilepsy and I know that he will no be able to handle it or will know how to in the streets. Do you have any advice on where I can get a motorcycle that he may ride around the neighbourhood and will not go faster than 20 mph.  

• Hi, my name is Paul & I host 3 Autism rides a year, more if possible.

My son is Autistic age 10 now and he rides a motocross bike & custom chopper when we find a place for him to ride...We also try to meet other once a year if funds allow. Although I'm based in Leeds the rides are in the south & north.  

I have been encouraging Autistic people to join my rides when they feel comfortable and to let me know if they need any needs, if you would like to ask me questions please do.  

https://www.supergood-ride-for-autism.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Autismsupergood/

Kindest regards Paul

• I love the Isle of Man tt as a fan.

• https://www.supergood-ride-for-autism.com/ If your still riding and interested in joining my events

• www.supergood-ride-for-autism.com/

Long shot you are still on the forum ... give me a shot on my web page 

• Yes - the act-of-God stuff like oil on the road, blind BMW driver, tractor pulling out of a field, the U-turner, light jumper, lane changer etc. - it's all too risky out there.

In a 40mph head-on crash, there's a good chance that I'll just step out of my mangled car.  Not so lucky for a biker.

The problem is I really like the technology & design of bikes.  I like the lightweight engines, the suspension technology and the clever frame designs.   I'm tempted to take up bike restoration.

• Yep - & when I heard of advanced bikers getting injured and killed by situations where there genuinely was "Nothing they could do", I decided that I had had heaps of fun and would quit whilst I was ahead :-).

• The injury thing was what made me not do it. 

Many years ago, I visited a school friend in hospital - he had a cyst on his femur so he was in the traction ward of an old Victorian hospital - it had the classic long ward with maybe 10 beds each side and in each bed was a 17-year old lad with his right leg in various forms of complex traction with pins and brackets holding it all together.   All had come off their motorbikes.  

It's an image that burned itself into my brain.

• It means I'm qualified to teach advanced motorcycling. We get called "observers" because we follow students around and "observe" what they are doing and offer advice on how to do it better so that they can take a test that's at a higher standard than the one used to get their license.

I think it was exactly that about getting bored with motorcycling, and there was the ever-present nagging about how much it would hurt if something went wrong. Eventually I decided to leave on a high after ticking all of the boxes (how I finish most hobbies!). But I also got bored even when I was in the peak of the hobby, after being on the road for an hour or so. I get bored easily.

• Hello. That's interesting. (What does an 'observer with the IAM' mean(sorry))? Why is it you think you got bored, after an hour? Envious that you got hold of a brand new Fireblade, but yes, I can see your point about getting bored, once you've mastered all there is to learn, and tried a load of different bikes out, like you did.

• a diagnosis does feel like an epiphany, doesn't it. I'm sorry about your ptsd. It's good to hear that you're doing therapy, i hope it's useful for you. Like you say, now you don't have to wear a mask any more. Writing can be great, I find it helps a lot, in my experience :)

• I had it as a hobby for about 10 years recently. Rode a ZR-50 and TS-125 as a teenager, never took my test, then did a direct access test in 2008 and bought a GS500. From there through TDM-900 which took me through my advanced test in 2011, to a K1300s. I qualified as a national observer with the IAM on that, did a couple of short tours in France, then traded it in for a brand new CBR1000rr Fireblade in Autumn 2016, obsessed myself over the power curve and got annoyed that I couldn't access its full power legally on a road (I could do so legally for about 2 seconds on the K1300s!) and ran out of enthusiasm for biking 6 months later. I'm now driving a Mini Cooper!

For me, I loved learning the techniques, and the "flow" state of a good advanced ride. But to be honest I got bored after an hour or so.

• Ah burning 2 stroke oil, the smell of my mis-spent youth :-) My first bike after I passed my test was a 250LC with a Stan Stephens tune. Went like a rocket and one of the few bikes I've owned over the years that I regret having parted with!

• Ouch!  Crazy 2-strokers used to be really fashionable back then - if you could stay on them....

• plastic,hi 53 this month and so far 13 knee ops from back in 1992 when i tore the bone fixing out that was holding in my anterior cruciate ligament,racing on a KX 250 H1.i decided then it was probably the end of my crazy riding days and kinda couldnt put my parents through anything like that again.im riding again now. 

• moggsy yes they are great,i like 4 wheels too

• luisarey,as far as the late diagnosis goes it was my unproffesional opinion finally proffesionally confirmed if you like. a sort of epiphany,a reason to feel i could lower the mask a little more when im out now,and to be a bit more mindfull about myself and the situations i used to put myself in,that i now dont have to conform to so much anymore.dirt bikes yes.i have complex ptsd as well from too much trauma in my life,so im dealing with that at the moment through therapy at the priory.i wish i could have been diagnosed earlier as all the traits were there but in that time it wasnt recognised,i started writing a book 30yrs ago and i pretty much gave myself away in what i was writing about! my view on life.