Anyone interested in motorbikes?

I'm fairly new here and newly diagnosed with ASD. Anyway, motorbikes are one of my interests, and, well, it might be a long shot,  I was wondering if anyone else here is into them too. I don't know anyone else IRL who shares this enthusiasm. It'd be nice to hear from anyone else who is interested.

Parents
  • Hi and welcome :-) There are quite a few of us bikers on here, as I discovered when I mentioned my bike when replying to a post a while back.

I am a biker, and female too. Got my bike license when I was 18 - 30 years ago now - and have been riding them ever since. I have never been into sports bikes really, more old classics and Harleys. 

You are right, bikers are lovely people and very non-judgemental. It's a very inclusive "society", where people are just left to be who they are. I have met quite a few fellow aspies in the biking world. As for anxiety stopping us from riding, not for me anyway! I am probably at my most relaxed when I am on my bike, just me and the machine, at one. No need to make conversation, think about how to act, just ride and enjoy. It is the ultimate freedom and I would recommend it to anyone :-)

• hello :-) Good to hear from another woman with asd. Harleys are great. Riding looks like a really liberating activity - I love being outdoors (on a regular bicycle!) on my own, no-one to talk to or worry about, so I can kind of imagine what you mean by the feeling of 'freedom'.
    as a woman, when did you find out you are autistic? You don't have answer if you don't want to, of course.

• Well, yes it's similar to being alone with your thoughts on a bicycle .... gliding along, enjoying the nature around you (which I also enjoy). Of course it's faster though ;-) 

I was another late diagnosed person. Things were getting to the point where I felt like I was going nuts or heading for a nervous breakdown, and so I started my usual level of obsessive research into what could be causing it. Found an article about ASD and thought blimey, that sounds familiar, then read more and most of it I could use like a checklist. With hindsight, it's amazing it wasn't picked up earlier, but I suppose as long as you are "functioning" no-one thinks too much about it. When the cost of "functioning" becomes too great , the cracks start to show, and that is when I figured it out. My self-diagnosis was then confirmed as a cut and dried case of Asperger Syndrome by a professional!

I'm guessing you're younger than me... If so, I think you're lucky to have a diagnosis earlier in your life. I have found that it makes things easier, if only because I finally know WHY for a lot of things, and can be a bit less hard on myself!

• Well, yes it's similar to being alone with your thoughts on a bicycle .... gliding along, enjoying the nature around you (which I also enjoy). Of course it's faster though ;-) 

I was another late diagnosed person. Things were getting to the point where I felt like I was going nuts or heading for a nervous breakdown, and so I started my usual level of obsessive research into what could be causing it. Found an article about ASD and thought blimey, that sounds familiar, then read more and most of it I could use like a checklist. With hindsight, it's amazing it wasn't picked up earlier, but I suppose as long as you are "functioning" no-one thinks too much about it. When the cost of "functioning" becomes too great , the cracks start to show, and that is when I figured it out. My self-diagnosis was then confirmed as a cut and dried case of Asperger Syndrome by a professional!

I'm guessing you're younger than me... If so, I think you're lucky to have a diagnosis earlier in your life. I have found that it makes things easier, if only because I finally know WHY for a lot of things, and can be a bit less hard on myself!

Children
  • Exactly - and I love the natural world bit, too. Yep, faster and less lycra ;-)

Yes, I am in my mid-twenties.

"When the cost of "functioning" becomes too great , the cracks start to show, and that is when I figured it out"

-- Yes, exactly - sounds like you had a very similar experience to me - and I guess a heck of a lot of us - in only finding out about ASD after reaching a mental health crisis. I only realised things related to ASD, after years of anxiety and depression.  I do feel lucky about knowing relatively early. Definitely impressed by those of you who have got diagnosed later on, and struggled through more of your life. Knowing 'why' is such a relief. :)