Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me 9pm BBC 2 12/10/2017

Anyone going to watch / discuss?  Looks interesting though I expect lack of empathy may be going to be applied like a blanket as usual and the Radio Times mentions 'cures' !!

• Just heard back from Laura James (Odd girl out)

• This programme has been a revelation for me.

I will add that this is my first post on this forum so hello all.

As soon as he started describing the thought processes at the start the penny dropped. It had never occurred to me that most people thought differently as it was exactly how I think even down to the WW2 tanks (we are of the same generation). The way things cascade and don't stop,

As the programme went on it was just more of the same as to how it feels and how you cop (rehearsing conversions and filtering everything you say mercilessly) and it also explains a huge amount about relationships. My ex wife used to accuse me of being on the spectrum when we were having the inevitable arguments and it turns out she was right, I have always been terrible at reading people (a good friend of mine was in love with me for years and I never noticed) but thought this was par for the course,

I am 53 so this has been a bit of a shock and a clarification at the same time. I am a computer programmer by trade and the way my brain works might have helped as I can see code patterns and application designs in my head and have never understood how my colleagues have to sit around and agonise over this for hours.

My current partner knew all along so i was the last to find out

Anyway, i am so glad that Chis made the show and that I watched it

• Scratch that I HAVE been telling him! Lol

• Got ny nt other half to watch it..”that’s like you” he said......i’ve Been trying to tell him about my ASD since the start of summer...

i totally get your frustration...haven’t told any of my family.....yet

i’m 42 and your message so eloquently expressses my recent journey! X

• I am a recently self-diagnosed 46-year-old woman (with professional assessment coming up soon - I decided to bite the bullet and go for a diagnosis) and totally agree, Elephant. If there was more about Aspie women in the mainstream press, I would have twigged a LOT sooner. As it was I read an article on BBC I think about a lady diagnosed in her 40s and though it could have been written about me. Then followed obsessive internet research on female Aspergers ..... another "oh" and a lot of lightbulb moments. Basically it explains what I thought was a whole tangled heap of weirdness, with a single answer. Then I asked my mother about my early years and she knew right away why I was asking. My grandad had Aspergers and she said yes, she thought it very likely that I do too.

What is interesting is that she watched the Chris Packham program, and has now  a) decided that I can't have Asperger's because I don't live on my own in the middle of the woods (I would love to live in his house btw, but no way I could ever afford to!) and b) come out with "you do know it's autism, right?"

So she clearly doesnt get that it's different in different people. And I think she has fallen victim to the Aspie = Sherlock Holmes, Autistic = Rain Man school of thought.

I don't actually mind finding out that I am autistic if it explains to me who I am!

• Sounds good, thank you. I shall look her up. :)

• Yes it is fantastic! She has written 20 or so books about her experience as a female with aspergers.  :) 

• No i’m not, is it good? Finished Laura James , Odd Girl Out x welcome...have you met Spotty Tortoise yet.....? She is one if the crew of ASD women x

• Hi, I'm new to the forum. I watched the Chris packham programme last night and found it interesting. However personally, being a female with aspergers, I prefer reading work written by Alis Rowe who runs the Curly Haired project. Don't know if anyone else is familiar with her work? 

• I watched it just now - I found it very interesting.  I had read his autobiography 'Fingers in the Sparkle Jar,' so there were a few things that weren't a surprise.  I like that he came forwards as an Aspie man - I doubt there would be others on the box who would've admitted the same (if indeed there ARE any).  I do think it would be good to have the female side of Asperger explored - I would definitely be watching as would many, many others.

• Hi Spotty

Well I've just emailed the programme commissioners at Channel 4.  They will reply in the next few weeks. - email text below... the BBC don't take programme ideas for us licence payers.....only producers and writers :)

___

PROPOSAL: Documentary on Women with ASD

To  whom it may concern.
    Following the broadcast on the 17 October on BBC 2 of the documentary: Chris Packham: My Asperger's and Me.  It would be great to feature a documentary regarding women on the Autism Spectrum.....
    WHY?
    The diagnostic criteria for Asperger Syndrome are based on the characteristic of males. During childhood boys are often more disruptive than girls, meaning that they’re more likely to receive attention. However, this can lead to girls going un-noticed as their behavioural characteristics are seen to be less of a problem that needs investigating.
    IMPACT
    ASD in women presents itself differently.  Through an accumulation of research, surveys and assumptions it appears that women are under-diagnosed when it comes to autism. It’s been suggested on numerous occasions that the behavioural characteristics of autistic women vary greatly compared to those of autistic men... that women are better at masking their behaviour in order to be perceived as "fitting in"...but many struggle, there are difficulties in seeking diagnosis and support and these vary from doctors practice to practice and regionally with some if able to get past the hurdle of being referred waiting for up to 2 years to get a diagnosis.
    MY STORY
    I am a women with self diagnosed Aspergers.  I am educated to masters level, I work as a teacher, I am married and have a son...therefore the perception is that I am "coping".  I am also part of the National Autistic society online community and talk on a daily basis to educated and articulate women who are struggling to cope with loneliness, lack of family support and limited societal understanding.  There is a great deal of misunderstanding of women with ASD - such as the myth that it is only boys that are autistic to one of my favourites - "You can't be autistic, you look normal enough to me".
    WHY YOU!
    As a channel respected for its work giving those underrepresented in society a voice ...the ball is in your court!
    FURTHER READING (though I know your are incredibly busy!)

‘The Lost Girls’ on the Spectrum website is a great read that tells the story of Maya and the struggle she went through to become diagnosed with autism.

Autism in Pink is a documentary film featuring the stories of women around the world who have autism, including the challenges they’ve faced and their achievements.

Autism Women Matter is an organisation that represents autistic women in the UK, aiming to support autistic females and raise awareness of the challenges they face.

The Curly Hair Project is a website set up by Alis, a 26-year-old woman with Asperger Syndrome, which aims to provide support and relatable content to women with an ASD.

Scottish Autism has recently been given funding to develop a new Women and Girls support programme, aimed at addressing key health and wellbeing challenges, as well as providing practical advice on a range of issues.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.  If this idea goes no further than this email.  I do hope at least that I have raised your own personal awareness.
    best wishes
    Elephant in the Room
  • we definitely need the female side of things.....Shall I write to Channel 4 (being serious)....make a suggestion! - ?

• I also had a tear in my eye a couple of times.  I thought it was good overall, but we need an ambassador who is female and late diagnosed.  Maleness took over some of the programme.  It was good that his like step daughter was on the programme so they showed good relationships.  I'll be sad for Chris when his dog does die.  I cried for lost pets during the programme.

• Hi Laddie

I like people a great deal....just don't always have the tools to deal with them.......deeply envious of your ruralness and I too are not to far away from a hill or woodland to run to!  just watch out for those "little brown job"

like you, I am self diagnosed ...

it was a good programme on the whole....but I think covered a lot off of stuff....but rather a bit thinly......for an NT looking in, food for thought....for me...it would have been good to have several programmes - one on relationships, one of experiences of growing up/school, one on employment......etc etc

Ellie

• Yes I watched this programme tonight and enjoyed it very much. In fact I had a tear in my eye at the end.

There was so much I could appreciate from my own experiences over the years. Like when my ex wife told me "you don't like people" and I remember feeling hurt by that ............but she was correct. The fact I never wanted to go to social occasions. That I too now live alone in a very rural area with my Border Collie who I love because he just accepts me for who I am. I love to walk in the forest and enjoy the wildlife we meet. The deer, foxes, red squirrels, buzzards, kestrels, jays and many little brown jobs Slight smile

Springwatch/autumnwatch are some of my favourite programmes. Thank you Chris.

I don't need any formal diagnosis after watching this programme. I know now who I am. An Aspie and happy with that.

The cures were horrific..........sadly it seems there are many NT's who believe in them. Those poor children.

Take care, Laddie.

• It honestly wasn't distressing to watch I don't think, he kept stressing that we are all different but it was very much his story and he was very honest.  I suspect the slight cliche bias will have come in the editing to make a coherent narrative for a general television audience.

Famous  and late diagnosed Aspie female required, or maybe just all of us in little bits and pieces. xx

• Having not yet watched this programme would it be fair to assume it was just all about the man himself? Fair enough if so but just one man and his journey may be seen as being the only type of aspie man there is, 

I can see this is opening peoples minds but unless they run a series of programes highlighting various types then it gives a narrow understanding to the unknowing.

indeed a programe for aspie or ASD women,and one for male female children,the more varied the better,

thanks for the discussion it will hopefully make watching it less stressing, forewarned and such.

nite ladies,xx()()

• Hey...so what we really need is some female Aspie talking heads......it is a shame that it sounds like such a radical idea.....I hold down a career, am carer to my husband and son and have ASD......there must be a stream Of ASD women..needed a voice...

How about channel 4 doing a two minute ASD take on the  day just before the news! Awareness and education is key. Otherwise we sink intoour holes/shells xxxx missing you Spottty xx