Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me 9pm BBC 2 12/10/2017

Anyone going to watch / discuss?  Looks interesting though I expect lack of empathy may be going to be applied like a blanket as usual and the Radio Times mentions 'cures' !!

Parents
  • Well I'm going to answer myself to try to keep the thread tidy and it looks like you've all gone to bed anyway.  I thought that the US 'correctional' school and other methods were horrifying but unsurprising, I don't like the term 'high functioning' but I guess that is what I would be labelled, now I have the beginnings of understanding how I am I certainly don't want to be 'fixed', the environment we live in just needs to be a little more flexible, accommodating and understanding.

A  life built on sand is a good analogy, you can find a way to make things work but only one little straw removed pulls the whole thing apart.  Yes too, his partner's and step daughter's pain were thinly masked at his refusal to attempt to fit in anymore, but he has that luxury because he has earned enough money to be autonomous, most of us don't.

I couldn't be more jealous of his house, visited Exmoor once and absolutely loved it, he had some funky furniture, but everywhere would be improved with a Spotty chair!  His end point about how many of us there are confined to rooms or houses when we could be so productive and inspiring was a good one.  On the whole I thought it was good but he was also quite stereo-typically male Aspie and it would have been nice if there were a companion piece on all the invisible women, and I expect men with similar traits there are out here.

Also the idea that all 'high functioning' ASD people are some kind of savant was perpetuated, which I don't think is healthy or helpful.

• Hey...so what we really need is some female Aspie talking heads......it is a shame that it sounds like such a radical idea.....I hold down a career, am carer to my husband and son and have ASD......there must be a stream Of ASD women..needed a voice...

How about channel 4 doing a two minute ASD take on the  day just before the news! Awareness and education is key. Otherwise we sink intoour holes/shells xxxx missing you Spottty xx 

• Having not yet watched this programme would it be fair to assume it was just all about the man himself? Fair enough if so but just one man and his journey may be seen as being the only type of aspie man there is, 

I can see this is opening peoples minds but unless they run a series of programes highlighting various types then it gives a narrow understanding to the unknowing.

indeed a programe for aspie or ASD women,and one for male female children,the more varied the better,

thanks for the discussion it will hopefully make watching it less stressing, forewarned and such.

nite ladies,xx()()

• Red Bull (joke) and alot of nervous energy! (not a joke) !! - hyper functioning on all levels......and then.....CRASH! - lol

• I agree, where does she get her energy from? Nerd

• Gosh Ellie, how exciting! Wonder what they'll say...

(Where do you get your energy)?

I haven't been able to get on here for a few days and it's good to see how people are doing - nice to be able to' talk' without stressing about it.

• Hi Spotty

Well I've just emailed the programme commissioners at Channel 4.  They will reply in the next few weeks. - email text below... the BBC don't take programme ideas for us licence payers.....only producers and writers :)

___

PROPOSAL: Documentary on Women with ASD

To  whom it may concern.
    Following the broadcast on the 17 October on BBC 2 of the documentary: Chris Packham: My Asperger's and Me.  It would be great to feature a documentary regarding women on the Autism Spectrum.....
    WHY?
    The diagnostic criteria for Asperger Syndrome are based on the characteristic of males. During childhood boys are often more disruptive than girls, meaning that they’re more likely to receive attention. However, this can lead to girls going un-noticed as their behavioural characteristics are seen to be less of a problem that needs investigating.
    IMPACT
    ASD in women presents itself differently.  Through an accumulation of research, surveys and assumptions it appears that women are under-diagnosed when it comes to autism. It’s been suggested on numerous occasions that the behavioural characteristics of autistic women vary greatly compared to those of autistic men... that women are better at masking their behaviour in order to be perceived as "fitting in"...but many struggle, there are difficulties in seeking diagnosis and support and these vary from doctors practice to practice and regionally with some if able to get past the hurdle of being referred waiting for up to 2 years to get a diagnosis.
    MY STORY
    I am a women with self diagnosed Aspergers.  I am educated to masters level, I work as a teacher, I am married and have a son...therefore the perception is that I am "coping".  I am also part of the National Autistic society online community and talk on a daily basis to educated and articulate women who are struggling to cope with loneliness, lack of family support and limited societal understanding.  There is a great deal of misunderstanding of women with ASD - such as the myth that it is only boys that are autistic to one of my favourites - "You can't be autistic, you look normal enough to me".
    WHY YOU!
    As a channel respected for its work giving those underrepresented in society a voice ...the ball is in your court!
    FURTHER READING (though I know your are incredibly busy!)

‘The Lost Girls’ on the Spectrum website is a great read that tells the story of Maya and the struggle she went through to become diagnosed with autism.

Autism in Pink is a documentary film featuring the stories of women around the world who have autism, including the challenges they’ve faced and their achievements.

Autism Women Matter is an organisation that represents autistic women in the UK, aiming to support autistic females and raise awareness of the challenges they face.

The Curly Hair Project is a website set up by Alis, a 26-year-old woman with Asperger Syndrome, which aims to provide support and relatable content to women with an ASD.

Scottish Autism has recently been given funding to develop a new Women and Girls support programme, aimed at addressing key health and wellbeing challenges, as well as providing practical advice on a range of issues.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.  If this idea goes no further than this email.  I do hope at least that I have raised your own personal awareness.
    best wishes
    Elephant in the Room
  • It honestly wasn't distressing to watch I don't think, he kept stressing that we are all different but it was very much his story and he was very honest.  I suspect the slight cliche bias will have come in the editing to make a coherent narrative for a general television audience.

Famous  and late diagnosed Aspie female required, or maybe just all of us in little bits and pieces. xx

• It honestly wasn't distressing to watch I don't think, he kept stressing that we are all different but it was very much his story and he was very honest.  I suspect the slight cliche bias will have come in the editing to make a coherent narrative for a general television audience.

Famous  and late diagnosed Aspie female required, or maybe just all of us in little bits and pieces. xx

Children
  • Red Bull (joke) and alot of nervous energy! (not a joke) !! - hyper functioning on all levels......and then.....CRASH! - lol

• I agree, where does she get her energy from? Nerd

• Gosh Ellie, how exciting! Wonder what they'll say...

(Where do you get your energy)?

I haven't been able to get on here for a few days and it's good to see how people are doing - nice to be able to' talk' without stressing about it.

• Hi Spotty

Well I've just emailed the programme commissioners at Channel 4.  They will reply in the next few weeks. - email text below... the BBC don't take programme ideas for us licence payers.....only producers and writers :)

___

PROPOSAL: Documentary on Women with ASD

To  whom it may concern.
    Following the broadcast on the 17 October on BBC 2 of the documentary: Chris Packham: My Asperger's and Me.  It would be great to feature a documentary regarding women on the Autism Spectrum.....
    WHY?
    The diagnostic criteria for Asperger Syndrome are based on the characteristic of males. During childhood boys are often more disruptive than girls, meaning that they’re more likely to receive attention. However, this can lead to girls going un-noticed as their behavioural characteristics are seen to be less of a problem that needs investigating.
    IMPACT
    ASD in women presents itself differently.  Through an accumulation of research, surveys and assumptions it appears that women are under-diagnosed when it comes to autism. It’s been suggested on numerous occasions that the behavioural characteristics of autistic women vary greatly compared to those of autistic men... that women are better at masking their behaviour in order to be perceived as "fitting in"...but many struggle, there are difficulties in seeking diagnosis and support and these vary from doctors practice to practice and regionally with some if able to get past the hurdle of being referred waiting for up to 2 years to get a diagnosis.
    MY STORY
    I am a women with self diagnosed Aspergers.  I am educated to masters level, I work as a teacher, I am married and have a son...therefore the perception is that I am "coping".  I am also part of the National Autistic society online community and talk on a daily basis to educated and articulate women who are struggling to cope with loneliness, lack of family support and limited societal understanding.  There is a great deal of misunderstanding of women with ASD - such as the myth that it is only boys that are autistic to one of my favourites - "You can't be autistic, you look normal enough to me".
    WHY YOU!
    As a channel respected for its work giving those underrepresented in society a voice ...the ball is in your court!
    FURTHER READING (though I know your are incredibly busy!)

‘The Lost Girls’ on the Spectrum website is a great read that tells the story of Maya and the struggle she went through to become diagnosed with autism.

Autism in Pink is a documentary film featuring the stories of women around the world who have autism, including the challenges they’ve faced and their achievements.

Autism Women Matter is an organisation that represents autistic women in the UK, aiming to support autistic females and raise awareness of the challenges they face.

The Curly Hair Project is a website set up by Alis, a 26-year-old woman with Asperger Syndrome, which aims to provide support and relatable content to women with an ASD.

Scottish Autism has recently been given funding to develop a new Women and Girls support programme, aimed at addressing key health and wellbeing challenges, as well as providing practical advice on a range of issues.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.  If this idea goes no further than this email.  I do hope at least that I have raised your own personal awareness.
    best wishes
    Elephant in the Room