Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me 9pm BBC 2 12/10/2017

Anyone going to watch / discuss?  Looks interesting though I expect lack of empathy may be going to be applied like a blanket as usual and the Radio Times mentions 'cures' !!

Parents
  • I am a recently self-diagnosed 46-year-old woman (with professional assessment coming up soon - I decided to bite the bullet and go for a diagnosis) and totally agree, Elephant. If there was more about Aspie women in the mainstream press, I would have twigged a LOT sooner. As it was I read an article on BBC I think about a lady diagnosed in her 40s and though it could have been written about me. Then followed obsessive internet research on female Aspergers ..... another "oh" and a lot of lightbulb moments. Basically it explains what I thought was a whole tangled heap of weirdness, with a single answer. Then I asked my mother about my early years and she knew right away why I was asking. My grandad had Aspergers and she said yes, she thought it very likely that I do too.

What is interesting is that she watched the Chris Packham program, and has now  a) decided that I can't have Asperger's because I don't live on my own in the middle of the woods (I would love to live in his house btw, but no way I could ever afford to!) and b) come out with "you do know it's autism, right?"

So she clearly doesnt get that it's different in different people. And I think she has fallen victim to the Aspie = Sherlock Holmes, Autistic = Rain Man school of thought.

I don't actually mind finding out that I am autistic if it explains to me who I am!

• I am a recently self-diagnosed 46-year-old woman (with professional assessment coming up soon - I decided to bite the bullet and go for a diagnosis) and totally agree, Elephant. If there was more about Aspie women in the mainstream press, I would have twigged a LOT sooner. As it was I read an article on BBC I think about a lady diagnosed in her 40s and though it could have been written about me. Then followed obsessive internet research on female Aspergers ..... another "oh" and a lot of lightbulb moments. Basically it explains what I thought was a whole tangled heap of weirdness, with a single answer. Then I asked my mother about my early years and she knew right away why I was asking. My grandad had Aspergers and she said yes, she thought it very likely that I do too.

What is interesting is that she watched the Chris Packham program, and has now  a) decided that I can't have Asperger's because I don't live on my own in the middle of the woods (I would love to live in his house btw, but no way I could ever afford to!) and b) come out with "you do know it's autism, right?"

So she clearly doesnt get that it's different in different people. And I think she has fallen victim to the Aspie = Sherlock Holmes, Autistic = Rain Man school of thought.

I don't actually mind finding out that I am autistic if it explains to me who I am!

Children
  • Got ny nt other half to watch it..”that’s like you” he said......i’ve Been trying to tell him about my ASD since the start of summer...

i totally get your frustration...haven’t told any of my family.....yet

i’m 42 and your message so eloquently expressses my recent journey! X