Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me 9pm BBC 2 12/10/2017

Anyone going to watch / discuss?  Looks interesting though I expect lack of empathy may be going to be applied like a blanket as usual and the Radio Times mentions 'cures' !!

Parents
  • Well I'm going to answer myself to try to keep the thread tidy and it looks like you've all gone to bed anyway.  I thought that the US 'correctional' school and other methods were horrifying but unsurprising, I don't like the term 'high functioning' but I guess that is what I would be labelled, now I have the beginnings of understanding how I am I certainly don't want to be 'fixed', the environment we live in just needs to be a little more flexible, accommodating and understanding.

A  life built on sand is a good analogy, you can find a way to make things work but only one little straw removed pulls the whole thing apart.  Yes too, his partner's and step daughter's pain were thinly masked at his refusal to attempt to fit in anymore, but he has that luxury because he has earned enough money to be autonomous, most of us don't.

I couldn't be more jealous of his house, visited Exmoor once and absolutely loved it, he had some funky furniture, but everywhere would be improved with a Spotty chair!  His end point about how many of us there are confined to rooms or houses when we could be so productive and inspiring was a good one.  On the whole I thought it was good but he was also quite stereo-typically male Aspie and it would have been nice if there were a companion piece on all the invisible women, and I expect men with similar traits there are out here.

Also the idea that all 'high functioning' ASD people are some kind of savant was perpetuated, which I don't think is healthy or helpful.

• Well I'm going to answer myself to try to keep the thread tidy and it looks like you've all gone to bed anyway.  I thought that the US 'correctional' school and other methods were horrifying but unsurprising, I don't like the term 'high functioning' but I guess that is what I would be labelled, now I have the beginnings of understanding how I am I certainly don't want to be 'fixed', the environment we live in just needs to be a little more flexible, accommodating and understanding.

A  life built on sand is a good analogy, you can find a way to make things work but only one little straw removed pulls the whole thing apart.  Yes too, his partner's and step daughter's pain were thinly masked at his refusal to attempt to fit in anymore, but he has that luxury because he has earned enough money to be autonomous, most of us don't.

I couldn't be more jealous of his house, visited Exmoor once and absolutely loved it, he had some funky furniture, but everywhere would be improved with a Spotty chair!  His end point about how many of us there are confined to rooms or houses when we could be so productive and inspiring was a good one.  On the whole I thought it was good but he was also quite stereo-typically male Aspie and it would have been nice if there were a companion piece on all the invisible women, and I expect men with similar traits there are out here.

Also the idea that all 'high functioning' ASD people are some kind of savant was perpetuated, which I don't think is healthy or helpful.

Children
  • Hey...so what we really need is some female Aspie talking heads......it is a shame that it sounds like such a radical idea.....I hold down a career, am carer to my husband and son and have ASD......there must be a stream Of ASD women..needed a voice...

How about channel 4 doing a two minute ASD take on the  day just before the news! Awareness and education is key. Otherwise we sink intoour holes/shells xxxx missing you Spottty xx