Sensory overload

Hi guys, 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when you realise you are in sensory overload (especially with friends or in public). Also, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent becoming sensorily overloaded or how to recognise the triggers? Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Someone who really struggles with sensory overload Slight smile

• There's usually a "rumble phase" with tell signs of a pending meltdown. During my rumble phase, I will start to stutter. I am told that I also tend to blink rapidly. Since autism is a spectrum disorder, different people have different tells. 

Isolation and quiet preferably in a darkened area are the key to avoiding a meltdown. A meltdown is triggered when a person with ASD becomes overly stimulated. Removing the person from this environment is a must have for avoiding a meltdown. Time will take care of the rest. Leave the person in question alone and don't badger him or her with questions that could better be asked later after the threat of a meltdown has passed. 

• Toilet - absolutely! Done that more times than I could ever count.

• The toilet trick is one i use most. Luckily I tend to feel it building up in social situations so I have time to make my excuses and go to the loo. I've also started humming a song or tune just in my head which helps if its not too overstimulating

• Ahh. Computer or phone? I know there are sites that can compress. Most phones can too. Don't worry about it though. I know you are busy without worrying about how to upload a photo Joy

• No, it’s not a link. It’s just a normal photo - original and edited version. I guess the size of the file is too big that’s why I can’t upload it. 

• Oh, wow! What is the format? Is it uploadable to another place that you could send the link? I already think that's brilliant. I wanted to do something similar to try to explain to my wife, but don't have enough ability.

• everything you have said is like me, i also cant run away from sensory overload as i have a young toddler son so i cant just escape a place, sunglasses have helped me and saved me loads, i find eye contact painful and im hyper sensitive to lights and sounds, so everywhere i go i wear sunglasses. i dont care about others because the way i see it is that will i see them again never, places like the gym i also wear and dont care because im getting on with my day

• Same here! I don’t care anymore. Yesterday I was laughed at by a group of teenagers for wearing sunglasses in a cloudy day. I’m not hurting anyone. It wasn’t nice but it is what it is. I made a Simulation of the difference between how I see with and without sunglasses in a cloudy day but I can’t upload it. 

• Good for you! The older I get the less embarrassed I am about non-normal things that I do.

• My whole life I experience it and subconsciously just vanish, leave the place whenever I feel it hit the maximum I can take from the outside. Usually without any excuse or explanation. Now things are more complicated because I have a child toddler and I can’t just leave not caring about anything, so I use earplugs. My second best friends are sunglasses, I usually wear them outside or indoors in public places such as shopping mall. In fact having them on is also a bit annoying but at least the lights don’t hurt my eyes and I can relax muscles of my face. It also saves me from eye contact and headaches. This is how I deal with it. Sometimes people stare at me or even laugh but I don’t care much. Long time ago my cousin laughed at me wearing sunglasses indoors and I got ashamed and took them off. Now I don’t do it anymore. I know that I’m not crazy or exaggerating, I’m just sensitive. 

• I find that excusing myself to go to a quiet place (e.g. the loo) then deep breaths is effective. Also, as I struggle with noise headphones are always with me just in case.

• rest and calm.music,food that you enjoytv if you  enjoy it,music if it helps you.anything that makes you feel better,even lots of rest if needed x

• I claim that managing sensory overload in social settings involves recognizing your triggers, communicating your needs, carrying sensory tools, planning and preparing, taking breaks and practicing self-regulation.

• Well, I used to just tell friends that I'm starting to not feel well, and I'll try to either find place where it's quieter, or I'll just head home. 

Bringing sun glasses, a hat, a music player, and some other items that help decrease the amount of sensory information you're getting, are great to have with you when you're going outside somewhere.

I notice that if I'm getting sensory overload, I usually start feeling negative and drained, and I just get frustrated easily. And it's not until I leave and get a quiet place to relax, that I start feeling better.