Sensory overload

Hi guys, 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when you realise you are in sensory overload (especially with friends or in public). Also, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent becoming sensorily overloaded or how to recognise the triggers? Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Someone who really struggles with sensory overload Slight smile

Parents
  • Well, I used to just tell friends that I'm starting to not feel well, and I'll try to either find place where it's quieter, or I'll just head home. 

Bringing sun glasses, a hat, a music player, and some other items that help decrease the amount of sensory information you're getting, are great to have with you when you're going outside somewhere.

I notice that if I'm getting sensory overload, I usually start feeling negative and drained, and I just get frustrated easily. And it's not until I leave and get a quiet place to relax, that I start feeling better. 

• Well, I used to just tell friends that I'm starting to not feel well, and I'll try to either find place where it's quieter, or I'll just head home. 

Bringing sun glasses, a hat, a music player, and some other items that help decrease the amount of sensory information you're getting, are great to have with you when you're going outside somewhere.

I notice that if I'm getting sensory overload, I usually start feeling negative and drained, and I just get frustrated easily. And it's not until I leave and get a quiet place to relax, that I start feeling better. 

Children
No Data