Sensory overload

Hi guys, 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when you realise you are in sensory overload (especially with friends or in public). Also, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent becoming sensorily overloaded or how to recognise the triggers? Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Someone who really struggles with sensory overload Slight smile

Parents
  • My whole life I experience it and subconsciously just vanish, leave the place whenever I feel it hit the maximum I can take from the outside. Usually without any excuse or explanation. Now things are more complicated because I have a child toddler and I can’t just leave not caring about anything, so I use earplugs. My second best friends are sunglasses, I usually wear them outside or indoors in public places such as shopping mall. In fact having them on is also a bit annoying but at least the lights don’t hurt my eyes and I can relax muscles of my face. It also saves me from eye contact and headaches. This is how I deal with it. Sometimes people stare at me or even laugh but I don’t care much. Long time ago my cousin laughed at me wearing sunglasses indoors and I got ashamed and took them off. Now I don’t do it anymore. I know that I’m not crazy or exaggerating, I’m just sensitive. 

• Good for you! The older I get the less embarrassed I am about non-normal things that I do.

• Same here! I don’t care anymore. Yesterday I was laughed at by a group of teenagers for wearing sunglasses in a cloudy day. I’m not hurting anyone. It wasn’t nice but it is what it is. I made a Simulation of the difference between how I see with and without sunglasses in a cloudy day but I can’t upload it. 

• Ahh. Computer or phone? I know there are sites that can compress. Most phones can too. Don't worry about it though. I know you are busy without worrying about how to upload a photo Joy

• No, it’s not a link. It’s just a normal photo - original and edited version. I guess the size of the file is too big that’s why I can’t upload it. 

Reply Children