Sensory overload

Hi guys, 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when you realise you are in sensory overload (especially with friends or in public). Also, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent becoming sensorily overloaded or how to recognise the triggers? Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Someone who really struggles with sensory overload Slight smile

Parents
  • My whole life I experience it and subconsciously just vanish, leave the place whenever I feel it hit the maximum I can take from the outside. Usually without any excuse or explanation. Now things are more complicated because I have a child toddler and I can’t just leave not caring about anything, so I use earplugs. My second best friends are sunglasses, I usually wear them outside or indoors in public places such as shopping mall. In fact having them on is also a bit annoying but at least the lights don’t hurt my eyes and I can relax muscles of my face. It also saves me from eye contact and headaches. This is how I deal with it. Sometimes people stare at me or even laugh but I don’t care much. Long time ago my cousin laughed at me wearing sunglasses indoors and I got ashamed and took them off. Now I don’t do it anymore. I know that I’m not crazy or exaggerating, I’m just sensitive. 

• everything you have said is like me, i also cant run away from sensory overload as i have a young toddler son so i cant just escape a place, sunglasses have helped me and saved me loads, i find eye contact painful and im hyper sensitive to lights and sounds, so everywhere i go i wear sunglasses. i dont care about others because the way i see it is that will i see them again never, places like the gym i also wear and dont care because im getting on with my day

• everything you have said is like me, i also cant run away from sensory overload as i have a young toddler son so i cant just escape a place, sunglasses have helped me and saved me loads, i find eye contact painful and im hyper sensitive to lights and sounds, so everywhere i go i wear sunglasses. i dont care about others because the way i see it is that will i see them again never, places like the gym i also wear and dont care because im getting on with my day

Children
No Data