Nhs dental treatment

Hello, 

Ive recently had my daughter assessed, we are still waiting for the actual diagnosis but im in two minds as to whether to phone and say i dont want it. I was so set on getting the diagnosis i didn't really think of how it may impact her as an adult, not being able to emigrate to certain countries, join the police, having to inform dvla ect.

My main worry is her dental treatment, she has hypodontia which means she has many missing teeth. Shes got it from me, but a much worse case. She should be entitled to braces / implants ect on the nhs. I am worried now tho that with a diagnosis shes not going to be offered the treatment she should be able to get as it will be considered mostly cosmetic. I am aware they ask the child if they want the treatment and with her sensory issues around touch and pain right now i feel she will say no and regret it when shes older and ill have no say because they will use the autism as an excuse.

Im sorry for the long post, but does anyone have experience of treatment not being received because of autism.

I am so worried she's going to hate me for this diagnosis when shes older. 

Thank you

• Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Not dentist but with all my children at one point or another I have had to argue the point many times. I back things up with evidence or second opinions.

You said she should be, should is not a definite. You need to find out 100% before making a decision. But by the time your daughter is ready, new dentistry techniques will be about and by then they could have started charging. So for the sake of a should, is it enough? 

If your dentist is as fantastic as mine, they should be learning your daughters personality at each appointment so by the time your daughter is due any major treatments, they would be able to gage all the things so you all can make proper choices together. 

• God so sorry for my rant. Look diagnosis or no diagnosing..it can be good or bad iether way ..the only way you can go us to go on individually what you and your child need as there may be statistics out there but that's not realy going to help. Personally a diagnosis is goid in the fact that they can understand why they are the way they are and it can also help them then look to role models who have Autism and have a good life etc etc..but thus diagnosis needs to come early I'm talking as a baby etc they need to go from there it can be disaster at a later age say 15 18 29  or 49 etc etc because they have formed opinions on autism from.other "normal" people that autism is rain man etc and then they have to face thinking that they are this. It is like being between a rock and a hard place I get it..because on one hand you want your child to have and be the best etc and so it's easy to try to controll their lives ie as they need help with so.e things..but it's difficult to know where to draw the line as they also have their own right to do what they want..its a fine line and why its so difficult all the time..the only thing I would say is to mention the subject be calm and explain when you think your daughter might be able to listen ie sometimes you might say something but they just can't take it in so choose your moment and be calm explain rationaly and have maybe Internet pages that are factual by professionals that can help support and explain your reasoning when you've done that don't expect an answer just tell her you would rather she thought about it in her own time and approach you when she's thought it over. It's not that your daughter can't make sound decisions she probably can she maybe just needs time ..my son is very intelligent but it feel so.etimes like he's not but he usually I've noticed diesnt respond because he find the verbal language is difficult so I show him now a written article etc ...just find out what and how your daughter is able to understand things and approach in that way.

• OMG someone finally mentioned it ..yrs the countries like New Zealand who our right will not let you emigrate Fascists is a word that rolls around my head plus Canada until very recently were the same though they may have been shamed publicly into changing their minds on that. Don't get me wrong it's understandable that they want to be able to provide for their own citizens and may not be able to take the financial strain put on them if  many individuals came with health problems so severe that it crippled their own health service..I do see why but at the same.time it feels like an outright insult.

Two words life changing and devastating is what a diagnosis  is and it doesn't stop there as it reaches beyond your immediate family and stretches out into extended family and also authorities organisations ie yes the police right down to being asked if you want your local library to know etc etc etc it's huge and tbh shattered our whole existence and we've never been the same since...my son was diagnosed at 18 when his side of family was told they disown us basically as it brought up fact they'd have to face up to fact their son is who is my sons father and that possibly my sons grans mother also I suspect autism and they just don't want or can't deal with it. My son couldn't attend school was bullied badly it's endless..sorry its a bitter report but I call a spade a spade. There needs to be better service all round but with a failing NHS this is likely to get worse..it was so bad my son came close to suicide it was all handled so badly. We got through it so don't let me get you down. We got through it and i have zero support am orphan myself with my own issues and am single parent with a son with autism..basically you couldn't get more up against it..but love ..love got us through..I love my son beyond measure and were still standing because of that..patience and love.

• The assessment team should be able to talk you through everything, and if they think any other referrals are necessary. I think maybe you need to make a different thread about your worries about the assessment outcome before you cancel it and get some insight from others in this community who may have been in your daughter’s position in their childhoods (or yours now and they can let you know how it turned out)

• A  crystal ball would be great. 

I really don't know what to do, ill need to get in touch soon to stop the diagnosis. 

My daughter is ok at school work too, its the social side she struggles with and confidence. She doesn't speak and selective mutism has been mentioned. This is another worry that i have she could get the wrong diagnosis and then be hindered because of it.

I don't really know where to turn right now 

• So much has changed over the last 10 years maybe things will be different by the time she is an adult. My daughter is also 7 I also can’t imagine her sitting still for anything right now but hopefully she will by the time she’s a teenager! She also changes her mind a lot about what she wants to do as an adult. If only we could have crystal balls to see how parenting decisions turn out! She’s on the border of being referred for ADHD diagnosis but flying under the radar a bit already because her school work is good

• Thank you, she's only 7 so won't actually start treatment till her early teens anyway. And implants aren't possible until 18. She probably wont sit still but aren't all children like that at 7.

She does understand and shes already aware her teeth are different,and is very self conscious.

i haven't gone in to too much detail with her but have said if she wants the gaps to go she will need braces. I try not to make a big deal of it. 

Im not sure if its the correct term but she's high functioning, so she will want it done at some point but ill never be able to afford it myself. I would hate for them to be able use the autism ad an excuse.

As for the police/ emigrating shes has said she wants to be a police woman, but im not sure if that something all 7 year olds say. My brother and other family members do live and work in Australia so it is something to consider.

Im edging closeer to canceling the diagnosis 

• Treatment is usually denied if the risks outweigh the benefits, they won’t or shouldn’t say no just because of autism diagnosis. But if she isn’t going to understand what’s happening and not keep still or fight and run off it could be dangerous. Braces can be painful (at least they were when I had mine 20 years ago) but I hated how my teeth looked enough that I went through with it. If she really can’t cope with having them now then is it an option when she’s a bit older? I didn’t have my braces until my late teens and a lot of adults are getting them or Invisalign in their 20s/30s but I had bog standard overcrowded wonky teeth and not a condition. What does your daughter think of the assessment or possible result? Does she want to emigrate or be a police officer? I actually know someone who joined the police, passed the officer training course then was asked to get an autism assessment. As soon as he was diagnosed he was asked to leave. So not having a diagnosis isn’t necessarily going to help you get places, or stay places. If she can understand herself and receive support then she may have a greater chance of successfully navigating college/uni/work later on