Nhs dental treatment

Hello, 

Ive recently had my daughter assessed, we are still waiting for the actual diagnosis but im in two minds as to whether to phone and say i dont want it. I was so set on getting the diagnosis i didn't really think of how it may impact her as an adult, not being able to emigrate to certain countries, join the police, having to inform dvla ect.

My main worry is her dental treatment, she has hypodontia which means she has many missing teeth. Shes got it from me, but a much worse case. She should be entitled to braces / implants ect on the nhs. I am worried now tho that with a diagnosis shes not going to be offered the treatment she should be able to get as it will be considered mostly cosmetic. I am aware they ask the child if they want the treatment and with her sensory issues around touch and pain right now i feel she will say no and regret it when shes older and ill have no say because they will use the autism as an excuse.

Im sorry for the long post, but does anyone have experience of treatment not being received because of autism.

I am so worried she's going to hate me for this diagnosis when shes older. 

Thank you

Parents
  • Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Not dentist but with all my children at one point or another I have had to argue the point many times. I back things up with evidence or second opinions.

You said she should be, should is not a definite. You need to find out 100% before making a decision. But by the time your daughter is ready, new dentistry techniques will be about and by then they could have started charging. So for the sake of a should, is it enough? 

If your dentist is as fantastic as mine, they should be learning your daughters personality at each appointment so by the time your daughter is due any major treatments, they would be able to gage all the things so you all can make proper choices together. 

• Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Not dentist but with all my children at one point or another I have had to argue the point many times. I back things up with evidence or second opinions.

You said she should be, should is not a definite. You need to find out 100% before making a decision. But by the time your daughter is ready, new dentistry techniques will be about and by then they could have started charging. So for the sake of a should, is it enough? 

If your dentist is as fantastic as mine, they should be learning your daughters personality at each appointment so by the time your daughter is due any major treatments, they would be able to gage all the things so you all can make proper choices together. 

Children
No Data