Nhs dental treatment

Hello, 

Ive recently had my daughter assessed, we are still waiting for the actual diagnosis but im in two minds as to whether to phone and say i dont want it. I was so set on getting the diagnosis i didn't really think of how it may impact her as an adult, not being able to emigrate to certain countries, join the police, having to inform dvla ect.

My main worry is her dental treatment, she has hypodontia which means she has many missing teeth. Shes got it from me, but a much worse case. She should be entitled to braces / implants ect on the nhs. I am worried now tho that with a diagnosis shes not going to be offered the treatment she should be able to get as it will be considered mostly cosmetic. I am aware they ask the child if they want the treatment and with her sensory issues around touch and pain right now i feel she will say no and regret it when shes older and ill have no say because they will use the autism as an excuse.

Im sorry for the long post, but does anyone have experience of treatment not being received because of autism.

I am so worried she's going to hate me for this diagnosis when shes older. 

Thank you

Parents
  • Treatment is usually denied if the risks outweigh the benefits, they won’t or shouldn’t say no just because of autism diagnosis. But if she isn’t going to understand what’s happening and not keep still or fight and run off it could be dangerous. Braces can be painful (at least they were when I had mine 20 years ago) but I hated how my teeth looked enough that I went through with it. If she really can’t cope with having them now then is it an option when she’s a bit older? I didn’t have my braces until my late teens and a lot of adults are getting them or Invisalign in their 20s/30s but I had bog standard overcrowded wonky teeth and not a condition. What does your daughter think of the assessment or possible result? Does she want to emigrate or be a police officer? I actually know someone who joined the police, passed the officer training course then was asked to get an autism assessment. As soon as he was diagnosed he was asked to leave. So not having a diagnosis isn’t necessarily going to help you get places, or stay places. If she can understand herself and receive support then she may have a greater chance of successfully navigating college/uni/work later on

• Thank you, she's only 7 so won't actually start treatment till her early teens anyway. And implants aren't possible until 18. She probably wont sit still but aren't all children like that at 7.

She does understand and shes already aware her teeth are different,and is very self conscious.

i haven't gone in to too much detail with her but have said if she wants the gaps to go she will need braces. I try not to make a big deal of it. 

Im not sure if its the correct term but she's high functioning, so she will want it done at some point but ill never be able to afford it myself. I would hate for them to be able use the autism ad an excuse.

As for the police/ emigrating shes has said she wants to be a police woman, but im not sure if that something all 7 year olds say. My brother and other family members do live and work in Australia so it is something to consider.

Im edging closeer to canceling the diagnosis 

• So much has changed over the last 10 years maybe things will be different by the time she is an adult. My daughter is also 7 I also can’t imagine her sitting still for anything right now but hopefully she will by the time she’s a teenager! She also changes her mind a lot about what she wants to do as an adult. If only we could have crystal balls to see how parenting decisions turn out! She’s on the border of being referred for ADHD diagnosis but flying under the radar a bit already because her school work is good

• The assessment team should be able to talk you through everything, and if they think any other referrals are necessary. I think maybe you need to make a different thread about your worries about the assessment outcome before you cancel it and get some insight from others in this community who may have been in your daughter’s position in their childhoods (or yours now and they can let you know how it turned out)

• The assessment team should be able to talk you through everything, and if they think any other referrals are necessary. I think maybe you need to make a different thread about your worries about the assessment outcome before you cancel it and get some insight from others in this community who may have been in your daughter’s position in their childhoods (or yours now and they can let you know how it turned out)

Children
No Data