Nhs dental treatment

Hello, 

Ive recently had my daughter assessed, we are still waiting for the actual diagnosis but im in two minds as to whether to phone and say i dont want it. I was so set on getting the diagnosis i didn't really think of how it may impact her as an adult, not being able to emigrate to certain countries, join the police, having to inform dvla ect.

My main worry is her dental treatment, she has hypodontia which means she has many missing teeth. Shes got it from me, but a much worse case. She should be entitled to braces / implants ect on the nhs. I am worried now tho that with a diagnosis shes not going to be offered the treatment she should be able to get as it will be considered mostly cosmetic. I am aware they ask the child if they want the treatment and with her sensory issues around touch and pain right now i feel she will say no and regret it when shes older and ill have no say because they will use the autism as an excuse.

Im sorry for the long post, but does anyone have experience of treatment not being received because of autism.

I am so worried she's going to hate me for this diagnosis when shes older. 

Thank you

Parents
  • God so sorry for my rant. Look diagnosis or no diagnosing..it can be good or bad iether way ..the only way you can go us to go on individually what you and your child need as there may be statistics out there but that's not realy going to help. Personally a diagnosis is goid in the fact that they can understand why they are the way they are and it can also help them then look to role models who have Autism and have a good life etc etc..but thus diagnosis needs to come early I'm talking as a baby etc they need to go from there it can be disaster at a later age say 15 18 29  or 49 etc etc because they have formed opinions on autism from.other "normal" people that autism is rain man etc and then they have to face thinking that they are this. It is like being between a rock and a hard place I get it..because on one hand you want your child to have and be the best etc and so it's easy to try to controll their lives ie as they need help with so.e things..but it's difficult to know where to draw the line as they also have their own right to do what they want..its a fine line and why its so difficult all the time..the only thing I would say is to mention the subject be calm and explain when you think your daughter might be able to listen ie sometimes you might say something but they just can't take it in so choose your moment and be calm explain rationaly and have maybe Internet pages that are factual by professionals that can help support and explain your reasoning when you've done that don't expect an answer just tell her you would rather she thought about it in her own time and approach you when she's thought it over. It's not that your daughter can't make sound decisions she probably can she maybe just needs time ..my son is very intelligent but it feel so.etimes like he's not but he usually I've noticed diesnt respond because he find the verbal language is difficult so I show him now a written article etc ...just find out what and how your daughter is able to understand things and approach in that way.

• God so sorry for my rant. Look diagnosis or no diagnosing..it can be good or bad iether way ..the only way you can go us to go on individually what you and your child need as there may be statistics out there but that's not realy going to help. Personally a diagnosis is goid in the fact that they can understand why they are the way they are and it can also help them then look to role models who have Autism and have a good life etc etc..but thus diagnosis needs to come early I'm talking as a baby etc they need to go from there it can be disaster at a later age say 15 18 29  or 49 etc etc because they have formed opinions on autism from.other "normal" people that autism is rain man etc and then they have to face thinking that they are this. It is like being between a rock and a hard place I get it..because on one hand you want your child to have and be the best etc and so it's easy to try to controll their lives ie as they need help with so.e things..but it's difficult to know where to draw the line as they also have their own right to do what they want..its a fine line and why its so difficult all the time..the only thing I would say is to mention the subject be calm and explain when you think your daughter might be able to listen ie sometimes you might say something but they just can't take it in so choose your moment and be calm explain rationaly and have maybe Internet pages that are factual by professionals that can help support and explain your reasoning when you've done that don't expect an answer just tell her you would rather she thought about it in her own time and approach you when she's thought it over. It's not that your daughter can't make sound decisions she probably can she maybe just needs time ..my son is very intelligent but it feel so.etimes like he's not but he usually I've noticed diesnt respond because he find the verbal language is difficult so I show him now a written article etc ...just find out what and how your daughter is able to understand things and approach in that way.

Children
No Data