Nhs dental treatment

Hello, 

Ive recently had my daughter assessed, we are still waiting for the actual diagnosis but im in two minds as to whether to phone and say i dont want it. I was so set on getting the diagnosis i didn't really think of how it may impact her as an adult, not being able to emigrate to certain countries, join the police, having to inform dvla ect.

My main worry is her dental treatment, she has hypodontia which means she has many missing teeth. Shes got it from me, but a much worse case. She should be entitled to braces / implants ect on the nhs. I am worried now tho that with a diagnosis shes not going to be offered the treatment she should be able to get as it will be considered mostly cosmetic. I am aware they ask the child if they want the treatment and with her sensory issues around touch and pain right now i feel she will say no and regret it when shes older and ill have no say because they will use the autism as an excuse.

Im sorry for the long post, but does anyone have experience of treatment not being received because of autism.

I am so worried she's going to hate me for this diagnosis when shes older. 

Thank you

Parents
  • OMG someone finally mentioned it ..yrs the countries like New Zealand who our right will not let you emigrate Fascists is a word that rolls around my head plus Canada until very recently were the same though they may have been shamed publicly into changing their minds on that. Don't get me wrong it's understandable that they want to be able to provide for their own citizens and may not be able to take the financial strain put on them if  many individuals came with health problems so severe that it crippled their own health service..I do see why but at the same.time it feels like an outright insult.

Two words life changing and devastating is what a diagnosis  is and it doesn't stop there as it reaches beyond your immediate family and stretches out into extended family and also authorities organisations ie yes the police right down to being asked if you want your local library to know etc etc etc it's huge and tbh shattered our whole existence and we've never been the same since...my son was diagnosed at 18 when his side of family was told they disown us basically as it brought up fact they'd have to face up to fact their son is who is my sons father and that possibly my sons grans mother also I suspect autism and they just don't want or can't deal with it. My son couldn't attend school was bullied badly it's endless..sorry its a bitter report but I call a spade a spade. There needs to be better service all round but with a failing NHS this is likely to get worse..it was so bad my son came close to suicide it was all handled so badly. We got through it so don't let me get you down. We got through it and i have zero support am orphan myself with my own issues and am single parent with a son with autism..basically you couldn't get more up against it..but love ..love got us through..I love my son beyond measure and were still standing because of that..patience and love.

• OMG someone finally mentioned it ..yrs the countries like New Zealand who our right will not let you emigrate Fascists is a word that rolls around my head plus Canada until very recently were the same though they may have been shamed publicly into changing their minds on that. Don't get me wrong it's understandable that they want to be able to provide for their own citizens and may not be able to take the financial strain put on them if  many individuals came with health problems so severe that it crippled their own health service..I do see why but at the same.time it feels like an outright insult.

Two words life changing and devastating is what a diagnosis  is and it doesn't stop there as it reaches beyond your immediate family and stretches out into extended family and also authorities organisations ie yes the police right down to being asked if you want your local library to know etc etc etc it's huge and tbh shattered our whole existence and we've never been the same since...my son was diagnosed at 18 when his side of family was told they disown us basically as it brought up fact they'd have to face up to fact their son is who is my sons father and that possibly my sons grans mother also I suspect autism and they just don't want or can't deal with it. My son couldn't attend school was bullied badly it's endless..sorry its a bitter report but I call a spade a spade. There needs to be better service all round but with a failing NHS this is likely to get worse..it was so bad my son came close to suicide it was all handled so badly. We got through it so don't let me get you down. We got through it and i have zero support am orphan myself with my own issues and am single parent with a son with autism..basically you couldn't get more up against it..but love ..love got us through..I love my son beyond measure and were still standing because of that..patience and love.

Children
No Data